The Kinks 2018 digital (streaming/download) remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindgames, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

My old PRT CD's are all in the DR12-13 range. I guess I'll stick with them unless I hear there is some compelling improvement to override the compressed mastering.

abzach likes this.
  2. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

And I’ll be on the hunt for the vinyl reissues as many folks in that thread say those releases are the best the Pye material will sound.

3. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

The recent mono vinyl set is hard to beat.

FJFP and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  4. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

PYE were renowned for using good quality American studio equipment. Any of the recordings done by Bob Auger sound fantastic. I believe he was head engineer at PYE. I have the recommended Ultimate collection, the Reprise CDs and some of the D.E.s. The Ultimate and the D.E.s are definitely 'in your face', the Reprise are more laid back, so you take yer pick depending on yer mood. I would luv to hear the PRTs (why doesn't someone create an Original Album Series 5CD set) I assume they are even more relaxed than the Warners?

5. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Believe me, I have high expectations for it more than ever now. It’s posts like these that get me excited about buying it.

FJFP likes this.
  6. andrewsandoval

andrewsandoval Senior Member

Let's get real here for a second: the majority of the people on this forum will always prefer the PRT CD's - I still have my set, they are an excellent reference. The Kevin Gray vinyl series is a good secondary - he had the best sources to work with, the same as this new series for iTunes. The new series was done by Tim Young at Metropolis. The Reprise CDs are made from copy tapes that are generally inferior to the Pye tapes, you may prefer them because they are "smoother" - that is your choice, you like what you like. If Steve did the CDs, you would be happier too. I get it. Seriously, I get it. Thankfully, these are digital only so no ones corners are bent or lost in shipping:targettiphat:. Frankly, I stopped by to see just how outraged everyone was - "oh my god, these are louder than the ones from thirty years ago" - I am surprised the thread isn't longer! I'll be sure to send your best regards to Dan Hersch. ;)

7. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Must be nearly a decade since you started your Kinks journey Andrew? I’m still blown away with the content you have dug up for these releases..... Never would have imagined hearing tracks of the quality of Anytime, Lavender Lane and History 40- 50 years after the fact. Been listening again to them this week, just joyful.

8. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Totally agree ! And I wonder if there are still some unreleased stuff on tapes from this great kinks era : 66-72 ?

swedgin likes this.
  9. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Are you recommending the new remasters?

10. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

The voice of reason, thank you.

EDIT: Maybe folks around here would like the new remasters more if “Victoria” was chewed up like on Reprise’s Kronikles, or if “Top Of The Pops” was missing the drumroll like on certain versions of the PRT.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  11. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Got my reply on Mr Sandoval's Facebook : "I am proud to have selected the tapes for this series and hope it will grow new Kinks fans. For the older fans who have heard it all before, let us allow some new people to discover this wonderful katalog. Currently working on a Village Green Preservation Society box set with some things you have not heard before!"

VGPS BOX !!!!! can't wait !!

12. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm sure that's why people still prefer the PRT's. :rolleyes:

Talk about missing the point.

warren, bobcat and Dave Hoos like this.
  13. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I can't bloody wait! I hope its a No-Vinyl set, or has a AAA stereo pressing...

14. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I have a combination of PRT, Reprise, vinyls and vinyl rips. It's pity the remasters are brick walled.

15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

You are probably right! Re The Kinks downloads HD Tracks UK have the Pye albums excluding Village Green at 96/24 but no mention of whether say Arthur is mono or stereo. Does anyone know? I will get a bunch of them downloaded at some point especially if I get a discount code.
    Andrew thanks for your work on the Kinks catalogue. You know the SHF rules if it is out of print and hard to find it is the best version!
    Great to see Lola included in the series.

Dave Hoos and GetHappy!! like this.
  16. GetHappy!!

Everything up to and including Face To Face is mono, the rest are stereo.

Flaming Torch and NOS300B like this.
  17. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Man, the mono Something Else never gets any love. The 98’ Castle is brittle and NR’d and the ‘11 deluxe is compressed.

The rest of this remaster series sounds promising though!

swedgin and GetHappy!! like this.
  18. GetHappy!!

My main complaint with this new batch - I much prefer Something Else in mono.

19. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Thanks for chiming in. I love your work on the Deluxes. Any chance we’ll see the other mixes, non-LP tracks, and bonus tracks in hi res?

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  20. usrlocal

usrlocal Nice and Smooth

Regarding 'artist involvement', let's keep in mind that Ray Davies was also a producer as well as an artist.

21. KinksFan1992

KinksFan1992 Forum Resident

I’d like to know if the source material for these new digital remasters is better than that used for the deluxe editions.

I was happy with the deluxes, though I am not an audiophile beyond keeping my collection in lossless format (i.e. I don’t go hunting down obscure releases for mastering alone.)

22. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

How it's mastered is more important then sources - peak limiting can destroy everything - I'd rather have a cassette copy then a peak limited EQ'd de noised super deluxe remaster.

bobcat and George P like this.
  23. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Just streamed Something Else on Tidal Masters.
    Sounded really nice

24. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Sources still matter. You’re not going to be able to master a terrible source into sounding incredible, even if you have a great mastering engineer.

25. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

There's hardly any terrible sources but lots of terrible remasters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.