McCartney Sinatra 1977 Duet ? Artwork appears

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etcetera

etcetera Forum Resident Thread Starter

Very strange find today. In 1977, Paul McCartney hired the Marvel illustrator Bob Larkin to do a watercolor painting called SUICIDE to be given to Sinatra with the Abbey Road demo tape of the song Suicide, backstage at the Royal Albert Hall, early march 1977 ( Paul & Linda were with George & Olivia Harrison ) . The song ( Demo recorded at Abbey Road in feb 1977 with a new intro, was turned down by Blue Eyes, but the artwork reappeared into an auction recently .... Great. A rough duo idea of design which reappeared for the Jackson duet say say say cover.

Bob Larkin, Watercolor Paul McCartney/Frank Sinatra

2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Link doesn’t work for me.

3. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

4. etcetera

Paul wrote the song in 1957, a snippet was found in his first solo lp, here is the demo made in 1977

5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Thanks! Although I kind of want to “un-see” that image now. :)

Frank, streetlegal and JonUrban like this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Interesting find!

Also: It is great to get further proof that Paul and George really remained good mates with each other. Sometimes, people make it seem that George and Paul were mortal enemies post-breakup, and ascribing all types of negative things just because George for instance ignored Paul when he mentioned something in the Anthology film. Yes, they didn't always see eye to eye, but they were always close. If the two (and their wives) went to see Sinatra in 1977, then they definitely were willing to hang out socially in private. Very nice to hear about this.

7. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Yes, this is very interesting! Off the top of my head, something about this reminds me of National Lampoon's Beatles parody issue. I haven't seen that magazine in ages but I seem to recall one of the parody albums was something like this, with Macca and Ol' Blue Eyes recording an album together called My Funny Valentine. There was a pic that looked similar.

At any rate, I hope this story is true. I would have loved to hear a McCartney - Sinatra collaboration.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

As if rock and roll never happened.

And get rid of those ciggies, gentlemen...

9. etcetera

10. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Looks like that same pic is right here in this article on the NatLamp parody issue:

PowerPop: And Speaking of the Unreleased Beatles Solo Albums...

A description of the "album":

"Not to be outdone by his colleagues, Paul sought to make a statement about his musical roots. The result was Paul McCartney and Friend, a lavish, saccharine overorchestrated Nelson Riddle production."

11. I've always thought of it as more of a musical incapability rather than social. Seems anytime Apple also came up or Allen Klein in some way shape and form, that would darken things.

longdist01 likes this.
  12. billybudapest

billybudapest Forum Resident

Uhhh...yea I believe said painting originally appeared in the Beatles issue of National Lampoon...as a lark

13. That sounds like the 1977 demo and then a second recording from the Piano Tape or similar source. All the versions of the 1977 demo that I’ve heard derive from that same hissy source with the fade up and last piano note cut off—as if it had been derived from a radio broadcast and the beginning and end had DJ talk that the bootlegger wanted to cut out. (I am not saying that is what actually happened as I am not aware of the demo ever having been played on the radio.). I wonder if a higher quality version of that demo has ever escaped the vaults?

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

MaccaSinatra.jpg

CrazyCatz likes this.
  15. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

etcetera, you always find the coolest stuff. Thanks for sharing!

16. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Yes, always good to read about their enduring friendship. Of course it was only a couple of years later they were photographed together (with Ringo too) at Eric and Pattie's wedding party in Surrey.

17. igor stravinsky

igor stravinsky Forum Resident

Not quite the same pose, but I can understand the aesthetic similarity.

[​IMG]

18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I want to like Macca's work and stand behind his artistic decisions. But man... it's like he went out of his way to thwart my resolve

Bryan Harris likes this.
  19. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

It's signed '77 so maybe it's copied from the National Lampoon original on Macca's request.

20. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

First of all, it’s great to see you posting here again. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen you here. Second, thank you for what I can only assume is the complete version of Suicide. This is the first time I have heard the entire song. Thanks again.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Wingspan and etcetera like this.
  21. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

The artwork on both the Sinatra thing, and the Michael Jackson sleeve are so terrible. Why portray Paul from 1964 on a 1977 sleeve? And what happened to MJ's legs? Never mind that there were hundreds of good photos of them taken together.

Paul H, aphexj and JonUrban like this.
  22. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I've been called a Quack or dope at times, for suggesting over the years, that, there were lots of never known encounters socially & musically between the ex beatles.

Almost or probably deliberately keeping the lid on those encounters or collaborations. Some of it leaked out over the years. A couple of examples- We learned a few years ago that when McCartney went to sing harmonies on All Those Years Ago in late 1980, that actually Harrison had agreed to add guitar to Wanderlust from the Tug Of War l.p.. I think it was 79 ? When Clapton married Patti & George Paul & Ringo apparently jammed Sgt Pepper songs among others at the party.

Some of these types of things almost surfaced but the media didn't notice, or ask follow up questions. For example in the Rolling Stone Harrison interview piece in 79 to promote his G. Harrison 79 album, the article begins by saying Harrison had just spent the day in the studio with Paul McCartney said George to the reporter. But no follow up question to clarify or expand on that. A lot of these 'Untold' unpublished stories, seem to revolve around Harrison & McCartney in particular. We learned later that the Threetles had dinner & drinks often in the 90s socializing & later still learned McCartney was a 'somewhat regular visitor to Harrison's Friar Park estate for dinners & hanging out, playing ukulele & jamming...

I think there's a lot of news about jams & recordings & hanging out that so far remains virtually unreported.

That's the most elaborate recording of Suicide I've ever heard. It has bass & stuff on it, that's 77 ? That demo is better, I kinda get it now, maybe he was trying to resurrect it for London Town or a song to pair with Baby's Request from BTTE l.p. in 79 ?

I can easily see George & Paul secretly doing no pressure jams & recordings of original tin pan alley originals & 30's-40's covers of Hoagy Carmichael & George Formby... everybody talks about Paul's granny music,, But I've never read anything about how George & Paul & Ringo all loved that stuff, Lennon did too sometimes. I'd be unsurprised if we found out someday, that there's a bunch of Harrison-McCartney or Threetle jams from Friar Park full of that kind of stuff.

23. Yeah, it’s from 1977. It’s been circulating for at least 20 years, in that same hissy quality with the quick fade up and cut off last note. I’d love to hear it in pristine quality. Maybe on the London Town Archive!

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  24. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

[​IMG]

:laugh:

MJ does appear to be wearing this same jacket in the artwork...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.