Real Time Click Repair MiniPC Setup

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by krisbee, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Thanks for taking the time to write all this. I really appreciate it!

Having said that, I added the extra link between the modules, back when I was trying to make it all work. It doesn't affect the sound in any way and easily fixed as you pointed out.

Thanks for your explanation about the differences in the protocols. I was already aware that ASIO bypassed the Windows mixer which normally processes all sound. It's good to know that there are no differences in tonality whether I use ASIO or not, though.

I'll definitely give your solution a try tomorrow purely for curiosity's sake.

No worries about the Windows sounds as I always deactivate them on every PC I own. The inputs and outputs I do not use were also already muted. When I first tried to set up ClickRepair RT, I ran into a strange issue where the audio would repeat itself with a 1-sec delay. It turns out that the output sound would be redirected to my input at the same time as my speakers causing a loop. Easily fixed, thankfully.

Well, it turns out I was wrong. The author clarified everything with the following in his reply to me.

"My code is 24-bit capable, it all depends on the Audio Services provided by the Java/OS platform and out of my control. So, for example, it's HOPELESS with Apple Java 6 but great with Oracle Java on Mac. That's because Macs are, natively, 24 bit audio. Windows tend to require a better sound card or device to to to 24 bit."

Just verified why I thought it was limited to 16 bits. I had discussed the matter a couple of years ago with the OP via a PM and since he was limited to 16 bits in Linux, he insinuated it could very well be a possibility in Windows as well. I still don't see anything beyond 16 bits available to me in ClickRepair RT but since iZotope is a superior declicking option, I will be sticking with it for now.

I could also use the Denoiser and other iZotope plugins to take potentially care of groove noise and such. If you decide to give it a go, let me know your thoughts after comparing the two solutions.

Mintsauce likes this.
  2. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

Ahh cool so I am getting 24/96 on the Mac Pro. Awesome. Too bad it’s wasted on these ears.

The fun part of this has been re-examining many of my old 60’s pressings - beat beyond listenable in some cases - until now!

Mintsauce and Strat-Mangler like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

@az5456 Do you know if VSTHost has 2-channel recording capabilities in WAV and if so, how to do it?

4. Strat-Mangler

Actually, nevermind. I opened iZotope and was able to record easily.

I do have another question, though. Do you know how to reset the volume of Engine Input (the first module) back to 0.0db? I toyed with it but with a mouse, it's impossible to get exactly to 0.0db. If I click on the value, it allows to type whatever I want but after pressing on Enter or clicking elsewhere, it never accepts the value of 0.0db... unless I'm missing something otherwise obvious?

5. az5456

az5456 Active Member

You can record in VSTHost by clicking the red record button in the bar :)
    And yes, the input and output volume, it's annoying, because it seems that there is really no way to reset it to 0,0dB if you changed it once. With the mouse, I can set -0,2 and 0,2 but not 0. The only way I found: Click on the dB value and enter 0.85714 (don't ask me why, but it works).

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Well, I just ran into an issue with iZotope. On loud bangs of a drum snare, there will be an aftershock heard 2 secs later in the low mids. For instance, if I play an AC/DC LP and the drummer hits a snare and the rest of the instrumentation is quiet enough that I can hear it, 2 secs later, there will be some delayed reverberation of it, akin to an aural aftertaste. Tested it on a 2nd LP, this time of a Blues band.

Changing the Frequency Skew to 4 or 5 lessened the issue but it's still there. I couldn't hear it with my headphones, though. That is puzzling.

I'll need to do some more troubleshooting and testing. Perhaps that could be affected by the max buffer setting I enabled. Hopefully, I can find a fix for this. Note that I was always using Multi-Band (Random Clicks) mode.

quicksrt likes this.
  7. az5456

az5456 Active Member

I never had such issues. Sounds like you have some kind of feedback from your soundcard output to its input. I don't think that the buffer size has anything to do with that.
    Possible causes:
    -Maybe the extra link you added between the modules? Have you removed them?
    -Many soundcards have a virtual input called "Stereo-Mix" or something like that, which is a feedback from the soundcard output to record "what you hear" (e.g. if you want to record some embedded audio stream). If you have such an input, it has to be muted (as all other in- and outputs you don't use)
    -How did you connect the soundcard to the turntable? Directly to the output of a dedicated phono-pre, or through the tape output of your amplifier? On many amplifiers the separation of the inputs is somewhat imperfect (especially on the phono input, which has a much higher sensitivity than line-level inputs), so if you have connected your declicker pc as a "loop" through the amp (turntable to phono input, soundcard input to tape out, soundcard output back to a line-input of the amp) this could be the reason, as the signal that goes from the soundcard to your amp has some minor crosstalk to the tape output even if the phono input is selected as source

8. dark25.mc

dark25.mc Active Member

Hi,
    My name is Marco and I use, on a second laptop Asus Eee PC: 1201HA, Creative Soundblaster X-FI HD external soundcard with phono input integrated and Creativity Smart Recorder program, with real time declicker. I read all this thread and I am interested on az5456 solution.
    Can you explain to me how to set up iZotope and VSThost?

Thank you,
    Marco

9. nutop

nutop Active Member

sorry to bump an old thread... i'm trying to do this with my HTPC that's hooked up right next to my turntable. i purchased a focusrite 2i4 based off some of the suggestions of this thread and need help with how everything is setup.

I'm assuming it goes Turntable > Phono Preamp > Focusrite > HTPC > Focusrite > Receiver ... However, my confusion comes in with the Focusrite inputs... I believe they're the front ports.. I purchased a pair of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O3S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do I just hook the RCAs into the adapters and plug them into the front? Is there any other adjustments that need to be done on the focusrite?

Sorry for the dumb question, just want to make sure i'm doing it right.

Thanks!

10. Wayne Bull

Wayne Bull Forum Resident

Yes they go in the front. You will also need a pair for coming out the back for your line out back to your amp.

Strat-Mangler and nutop like this.
  11. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

You can do it that way, I just use the focusrite for the input side, I feed my Rega dac-r from the pc via usb rather than go back through the focusrite. Either way, the only thing you’ll need to do is get the gain knobs matched, best way to do this I’ve found is first play your hottest recorded LP and set them so nothing clips, then play a mono LP (I used a couple of the Beatles mono ones) and tweak them until the bars in clickrepair look about the same. Still loving mine after 4 months, so worth the effort!

nutop likes this.
  12. nutop

nutop Active Member

thank you so much! i'll just have to wait for those inputs then to test it out. one last question, i'm using this on windows... i'm showing that it goes up to 16/96 but see others here saying they can do 24 bit. am i missing something? i have the latest drives for the focusrite and using java runtime 8.

thanks again!

Mintsauce likes this.
  13. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

No problem! I too run it on windows 10 and I’m only able to get it running at 16/96. I think those that have run at 24bit are Mac based. It sounds like the java drivers is the reason the author gave up developing it further. Good luck.

14. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Might I suggest using a -20 dB pink noise test disc (e.g. Hi-fi News Test LP) and setting the gain levels on your ADC to -20 dB? That way you should get an equal input/output path.

Mintsauce likes this.
  15. nutop

nutop Active Member

okay! hopefully last question. i have everything I need for this now and have it connected as mentioned in my above post. click repair is picking up the signal but i'm not getting any sound to my receiver. do i need some other software to route this properly? i see it picking up the sound in the playback settings... just not getting anything from my speakers

16. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Have you setup your windows recording and playback devices? Right click the sound icon in the bottom right of the screen. Then match them in click repair rt.

nutop likes this.
  17. nutop

nutop Active Member

yep! did all that but by some miracle it just started working. i have the 2i4 and I think I was using the wrong output (switch was set for headphone). It started working and it sounds great. i set gain to about a quarter on each. is there a sweet spot for where to to set declick? here's what i currently have, settings wise:
    [​IMG]

thank you so much for all the help!

18. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just listen to the removed and set it until you hear a little bit of music, then back down some. Each records setting is different, so for my set it and forget it I use 10 declick, with pitch protection.

nutop likes this.
  19. nutop

nutop Active Member

when you say 10 declick, you move it all the way to the left and click 10 to the right? what are you using for pitch protection?

20. krisbee

Im not sure you have the latest version, because you normally could choose simple/wavelet processing. And the declick has a number... if you check the video in the first post and compare screens, they are different.

21. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Actually, I don’t have those settings either... is there a source for this version? I found my copy using the internet time machine, but if there’s a better version I’d love to have it.
    Regarding the slider, I have it set above the ‘e’ so about 40% I guess.

22. krisbee

Yeah. The latest is 1.4.3, but the wayback machine is 1.3. - No matter, really... the only version I have is the java version, and most people want the one with the installer... some people have politely asked the author and he has been known to give the latest version via a private download link...

Mintsauce likes this.
  23. muckyfingers

muckyfingers Forum Resident

Here is the latest ClickRepairRT file, just extract and copy the file over the installed one.

ClickRepairRT143.zip

MGB52 and Mintsauce like this.
  24. krisbee

The author wanted the file no longer offered to the public, so I dont think a public posting is ok (in my opinion). The wayback machine is a different animal - thats on them. But privately hosting and making it public I dont think should happen here.

25. Strat-Mangler

I don't see an issue here. At all. When launched, it asks whether the trial is to be started. The user can then register the copy or it will stop functioning on its own after a few days (30, I think?).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.