Would you consider selling off some of your prized vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Vinyl, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That’s even better!

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I was out of work for 16 of 24 months during 2011-12 and sold lots of records on the forum and a few on EBay. I sold a 3rd state Butcher Cover that was an absolute beautiful peel job. I sort of regret it, I guess. I stay away from collectibles. I needed to pay the bills and would rather have money in the bank than stare at an album cover.

Mr. LP Collector, phillyal1 and teag like this.
  3. Fridgetoo

Fridgetoo Senior Member

What’s your Discogs seller handle Gavinyl?

Ian B

Gavinyl likes this.
  4. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I've sold a lot of valuable pressings and it was mostly due to the fact that I'd rather not have something worth huge sums just sitting on my shelf. My regret is that I sold some too soon, but hindsight is 20/20. I got a hefty price for some like Hank Mobley 1568 on Blue Note, but it's going for like $2K more than what I sold it for. :shake:

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  5. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Some genres just aren't going to sell here. I have a lot of original golden era hip hop records from the 90s that goes for a lot of money as they are all out of print and most will never be reissued. Those wouldn't sell here, but Japanese buyers on eBay can't get enough.

Same goes for a lot of West African music. Outside of maybe Fela Kuti, this forum isn't really the place to sell that kind of stuff. Most people here aren't looking for things like original Sikiru Ayinde Barrister records to say the least.

6. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

gavintaylor

Fridgetoo likes this.
  7. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Very interesting question - many years ago, I bought what some in Australia would call a 'holy grail' find, which was the vinyl album BALL POWER by a band called THE COLOURED BALLS. I sold it for over $150, I would have bought it for under $5. I was not an expert by any means, but knew this record would be something that certain collectors would push people out of the way to touch.
    Keep in mind I waited over 12 years before selling it, knowing it would make a good amount of money one day.
    I wanted to buy the' Beatles In Mono' vinyl set and needed around $600, so I sold a couple of unused snare drums and that LP to pay for the set (as it is exceptional in more than one way).
    I have some original AC/DC vinyl and I may sell that, but I'm still in negotiations with myself - my people are talking to their people.
    Just recently, I've decided to buy some of the Bill Evans OJC vinyl reissues, as I never had some of them to start with on CD (as in Moon Beams) and others I have loved for many years, but would love a full size cover (such as Live At Shelly's Manne-Hole). They seem to be going for good prices, so I reckon they are worth buying.
    I might as well sell other vinyl I have if I don't play it, as someone out there may get something they never thought they would. I do hope they play it, but that's out of my hands.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  8. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Not only would I consider it, but I routinely sell any valuable LP when I find out it's worth over a certain amount. If it's that valuable, I don't want to be responsible for it.

aussievinyl likes this.
  9. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Only if I was in financial difficulty and I doubt that will ever happen.

10. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I do get rid of duplicate copies of albums when I have purchased clearly superior copies. With vinyl, I often purchase multiple copies in search of the best sound quality with the least amount of noise. Once I've found a copy I'm happy with, I'll get rid of the inferior copies.

But in general I have no intention of selling anything I have that I can potentially enjoy. I made the mistake over 20 years ago of getting rid of about 1/2 of my LP's and it was the biggest mistake I've ever made. I ended up re-purchasing almost all the albums at a much higher price.

11. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Only to buy vinyl even more prized.

pinkrudy likes this.
  12. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I have the LP reissue of Ball Power -- really good ! Highly recommended.

13. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I listened to the record before selling, but didn’t like it much, which is why I was OK with selling it. It was a fluke that I found it in the first place.
    It’s the only rare record I’ve ever come across in excellent condition. As another person has posted, once I realised it was worth that much, I felt I didn’t want it in the house.
    I realised the quickest way to solve my cash flow issue was to sell it. For a person who has a small collection, it was the only record I had that would guarantee a quick and high return. I knew I would miss out on the Beatles box unless I acted quickly. I’ve never been serious about collecting really, but I have the box now, so I’m very glad I bought that record.

14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Was thinking about this thread today- passed by my copy of Lyn Christopher’s debut LP, which was a bargain bin purchase a couple of years ago and seems very desirable (cheapest price on Discogs is three figures).

The problem is that apart from one excellent song (and the historic significance of being the first professional appearances of Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley on backing vocals), it’s not very good.

Would I miss it if I sold it? Probably not.

15. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

So true. There was a big family get-together with siblings and in-laws and kids of all ages during Easter weekend. One relative age 26 was talking about the music he liked, which is a lot of '70s and '80s era. He also stated he is a big Beatles fan. His wife age 25 said she was a Beatles fan too. My niece has listened to the Beatles, usually in making her own compilations, since she was a very young teenager. She loves new music, but she has an appreciation for certain artists like the Beatles because of her father.

16. miklew

miklew Forum Resident

I sold my Mobley 1568 a little while ago as well. Absolutely no regrets. As I get older I realized that I don’t want to buy things anymore, I want to but experiences. Life is short. That money from my 1568 paid for my 7 year old to go to overnight camp. He absolutely had the time of his life. The smile on his face when he returned was worth more than every original Blue Note combined.

zphage, Man at C&A, Marzz and 3 others like this.
  17. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Same here, you can have the lot!

I’m broke

18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Did a few years back, no regrets!

19. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

Just sold off a rare one for $100, it helped pay for a new car battery.

also, I'm pretty sure it's getting reissued next year

20. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I've made that mistake before. Keeping my records now.

21. I've come to the conclusion that I don't need 5 to 10 copies of every Springsteen album or 8 copies of Aja and 6 copies of Blood on the tracks, etc. My only concern now is establishing which of the first issues are my true #1 keeper. As others have mentioned, we're all getting older. I'm also a busy guy and when I have the time, I'd just rather play one and not listen to them all.

miklew likes this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

unfortunately I did...one of my biggest regrets...could have made a killing today!

23. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I have no desire to own more than one copy of an album, the exception being sometimes buying an expanded CD version of an album I own on LP.
    I keep my favorite pressing, sell the rest.

24. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

I am not a collector, so any album that I don't care for or hardly play may be sold/given to someone who may enjoy it. My only big worry is that sometimes I come to like a record that I had previously dismissed. However if I am pretty sure that I'll never come around, I have no issues in getting rid of it.

It's easier for me to say than to put into practice that's for sure, but I have almost zero regrets getting rid of stuff in the past. It's the rare occasion that I have buy back a record that I've sold.

25. Johnny Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl Vinylholic Thread Starter

I recently sold my original pressing of Kate Bush - Aerial to a SHF member here. Although it created a hole in my LP collection of Kate's albums, I have no real regrets. I only ever played the album once every 2 years or so. I would never have done this 20 years ago when I was still in a more completist frame of mind, but that part of owning records is behind me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.