Counterpart starring J.K. Simmons

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've got questions but I'm gonna wait for the final episode to see if any are answered before I post them. BUT....The last scene where the wounded guy is literally lying on a line depicting 'the border', the bad(?) guys state they can't touch him cause he's on the border. I woulda grabbed the half that was on MY side and dragged his butt back!;) I'm goofing but this scene added about another 1/2 dz. questions to my list!;)

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Or just shoot him again (as he has already been hit a couple of time) and then it's a non issue since he's dead. You dont have to cross the line to shoot at him.

3. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

He stated that is a neutral zone. Neither side owns that area, so shooting the guy, or even going into that area violates the agreement the two sides have. It's not a line, but a small area.

4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Guess we will see on Sunday...I still say there is no way all of these killings and training/spying by Pope and his people is just to open a dialogue. Something will be revealed to show it as a far bigger deal than just putting a guy in the neutral zone so they can chat.

5. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Maybe not to chat, but to put a stop to everything dealing with the crossing from world to world.

6. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

DVR'ing this to binge-watch later. J. K. Simmons is playing an agent in this, but is he an agent for Farmer's Insurance?

:nyah:

7. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

And of course, the last episode spoiled the whole series for me ..... I am not interested in a second season anymore. :mad:

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

How so? I didn't see anything in the last episode that I would consider egregious in context with the whole seasons.

RolandG and marmalade166 like this.
  9. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

His J. Jonah Jameson was near perfect IMHO!

10. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I didn't like that "if they claim him, they are to blame" line regarding the wounded gunman at all - made no sense to me and came from nowhere - why and what does it matter ?
    If these assassins had brought on a virus or horrific public act of violence or something significant, I could have understood the motivation...

Why kill some of the most believable and important characters ? Bishop and the Ulrich Thomsen character - those were balancing the stupid and at this point unbelievable "homestory of the son-in-law-with-his other-wife" ? So convenient to kill off almost ALL the characters who had known of the wife switch .... and the wife just kills the guy from special service branch like it is not a big deal ? Yeah, right.

Idiotic introduction of "Managment" - WTF was that ? George Orwellian Deus-ex-machina device to set up the son-in-law.

And a few more ...

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It was certainly a WTF moment in its execution. I have no doubt that this enigmatic development will be further explored in S2. Perhaps it was a single entity calling the shots in both realities? I thought it was a worthwhile mystery to introduce to keep us guessing.

Also I didn't have a problem with the loss of 'important' characters, as it keeps things unpredictable and interesting. As for the left behind gunman in the neutral zone, it makes complete sense to me. Those kind of political games are played all the time, so this seemed more realistic to me than not.

Overall, I liked the season a lot. J. K. Simmons did an excellent job in portraying two different characters - you were never in doubt which version was on-screen, due to the subtle differences in his performance.

If there was one wish not fulfilled for me it would be the lack of scifi-ish content, given the nature of the premise. Maybe S2 will explore the nature of the event 30 years ago that causes a split in reality...

marmalade166 likes this.
  12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Just wanted to thank everyone here for such high recommendation of this series. Actually, thanks to this thread, I've made a list of all the shows I'd intended catching, have been catching and hadn't heard about until recently, that are not available to me in "the traditional method" of watching cable, network tv or outlets I have available to me such as Am Prime.

Also, DAMN ALL YOU for this huge list of stuff I now have on my radar, that I've been slogging through at my computer screen instead of smelling roses, long walks on the beach and, y'know, breathing oxygen! :D

The issues and conundrums each movement of this slick little esphionage ballet imparts on each character, highlighted within the script or just in-between the lines, are just crack storytelling (and -not-telling!).

But I just finished the penultimate show of the first season, about to dive into the finale, and I'm on the edge of my rolly-ergo-desk-chair! But fefore I did, I wanted to let you know I'm diggin' the crap outta this, and am comfirmed in my belief that rightnowthisverymomentstarting...now! is The Golden Age Of Television...and God Help whomever was waiting for me to get around to doing whatever it was I was supposed to do at any given minute, for the next few months.

dmiller458 likes this.
  13. Dillydipper

Yes, there's the precidence for playing two of the same character in a teevee show, right there. ;)

Having just wrapped up the season, I'm now perusing the rest of the posts in this thread (I stopped when I started viewing the show, so as not to be "tipped-off" for any incoming spoilers. And, now I have to go jot-down where this leaves every character (as well as which world they belong to, and in which world they remain for now). I suspect this information will help me when I dive into Season 2 eventually.

Unlike Fringe, I didn't catch enough obious telegraphy letting us in on when the scene/world changes to our perspective. Fringe was produced a) as a standard network show, and b) for an audience they really needed to keep involved, so they would stay long enough to sit through a commercial break and not just wander off to QVC or something. When you compare these two shows, the intent in keeping everybody watching motivated to stay focused makes more sense; I can see why some shows on terrestrial network television risk failure for being "too cerebral", as an actual issue nwo, not just, "oooh, these non-broadcast shows are soooo much better"; it's because the show is already shot and paid for by the time an HBO lets it roll, while network television has to earn its' job every dang night.

But, like Westworld, I see this show earning its' right to be of a higher-caliber, because it can sit in your head, and you can start to appreciate the issues and the elements and the slow-boil as you await the next season. As opposed to, say, Walking Dead, where all you have to keep track of when it's not running is, okay last season these people worked together, but now they're enemies and these people are friends (also pretty-much sums-up keeping track of Once Upon A Time, for me)...oh, and by the way...are we in a seaon-break now, or are we in a half-season break, and, what the hell is the difference anyway, plotwise...? :confused:

Gonna jot me some notes, stick 'em in a mini-legal-pad next to my computer...and proceed to lump a bunch of other crap on top of it, so I don't re-discover it until 2023...o_O

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm eager for this one to return. Like "Legion" and "Westworld" I savor every moment. And I'm waiting for the return of "Better Call Saul" anxiously. Golden Age of Television indeed!

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Season 2 lands in December. Here's the trailer:

16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I think I watched 2 episodes, one of those shows I lost track of ill have to try again, I liked what I saw

17. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I watched only the first episode and geez the image is so so dark that I think there has to be something wrong with my TV. Is the show filmed without any lights and only at night? Or is it just me?

18. Dillydipper

It's just Berlin.

jpelg likes this.
  19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The new season starts on Sunday December 9th--can hardly wait!

20. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

21. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

This show has become way too convoluted. I loved the first season (for the most part) but there are way too many characters now (not to mention their counterparts) to keep track of. Other than Howard and his wife, most of the characters are lame and their motivations are often ambiguous and unconvincing. Characters are introduced and then forgotten about for ages (or perhaps entirely). This has become the most frustrating show. You can make the plot complex (which I like) but the stories don't need to be so complicated and convoluted. Most of the peripheral characters are uninteresting anyway so trying to keep track of all of them is that much harder. I'm still watching it but I just have it on in the background now as I really couldn't care less about most of the characters. If they had stuck to Howard and Emily as the focus (like the first season did) it would be fine but it has become far too confusing too enjoy.

22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

No kidding! On almost every episode this season my wife and I say to each other, "Have we seen him/her" before?" Still, I think it's an intriguing premise and anything with J.K. Simmons is worth watching, but yeah, they could turn down the convolution knob a step or two.

ibanez_ax and audiomixer like this.
  23. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

And here I thought it was just my old senile self.

Bachtoven likes this.
  24. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

It's gotten nuts. That hottie assassin comes and goes, Peter Quayle's father-in-law has completely disappeared, Pope was killed but I have no idea if he's important or not, etc. And then you have their counterparts to contend with. I love the premise and the basic story but the rest has gotten ridiculous.

Bachtoven likes this.
  25. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

No. I pay close attention and am not the type to be bothered by complexity but this has gotten confusing to the point of stupidity. Now they introduce James Cromwell's character and the woman who appears to be his daughter (still have no idea who she is...and I hardly care anymore), and some new guy who's sleeping with one of the Clares. Clare has got to be the most boring character on television and she's one of the main characters to boot. I've grown to hate this show...mainly because I really liked it and I think the writers really FUBARed this show.

Bachtoven likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.