KAB TD-1000 Fluid Damper for Technics SL1000R / 1200-1210 GAE, G, & GR

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by snorker, Apr 3, 2018.

1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy Thread Starter

I know fluid damping of the Technics tonearm has been a somewhat controversial topic around here, but for those interested KAB now has his KAB TD-1000 Fluid Damper for the new Technics models available. I purchased one and plan to test it out and report back to the forum on what differences, if any, I hear.

[​IMG]

2. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Checkin in here, wanna know the results.

snorker likes this.
  3. missan

missan Forum Resident

Nice. I don't think it's a controversial topic.

snorker likes this.
  4. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Very cool. I look forward to hearing the review. Which model 1200 will you be testing on @snorker?

5. punkmusick

Recently in the SL1200G/GR/GAE there was a discussion on the eventual benefits of fluid damper for these tables. Some people consider it's unnecessary and even harmful, while others believe it would be a benefit. I'm interested in the results.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  6. missan

missan Forum Resident

Yes I know, but that doesn't make the subject controversial. It's rather easy to point at benefits. Cables are controversial.

7. snorker

SL-1200G.

cjhargrave and displayname like this.
  8. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

As expected. Everything Technics is controversial. Only an idiot would consider it harmful.

9. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

Thems fightin woids, lol.

TarnishedEars and rebellovw like this.
  10. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I really like the damper. I have two albums - brand new - Earth, Wind, & fire and Stooges - both have a skip - both I should have returned but unable to. The damper is the only thing that prevents the skips - plays straight through.

My test:

Technics - with damper - doesn't skip.
    VPI Classic - both albums skip
    VPI Classic with fluid Damping - both albums do not skip.

I'm happy with it - and do not notice anything negative. I've read some say it kills the sound (deadens it) - I just haven't noticed in the slightest.

I've seen the light.

11. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

Seems like that would be at least plausible (deadening). But I’ve read on Vinyl Engine that it takes an average Technics arm and brings it up a few notches.

I’m guessing but would this do anything for dropping/eliminating the resonant frequency? And since the DD Technics have a rep for a punchy and dynamic sound would this interfere with that? Or is that because of the speed stability?

12. snorker

The fluid damper is excellent. It effectively eliminates any sonic issues resulting from a less than perfectly flat record, tightens and deepens the bass, extends micro-dynamics, and has no adverse impact on the sound in any manner. The new version matches the high-end look of the G perfectly, and appears like it came with turntable. It’s also easily removed and doesn’t mar the finish as far as I can tell. It’s a complete winner in my book.

13. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

Fantastic. I’m sold.

Thanks!

snorker likes this.
  14. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Thanks for the opinion as I have been debating getting one for my new SL-1210GR. Based on a few reviews it looks like a cost effective upgrade.

snorker likes this.
  15. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

16. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Installed mine yesterday.

• Lower noise floor - at least I'm hearing less hiss and whoosh on dead wax
    • Cleaner bass (tighter, more definition - I actually had to turn up volume on my subwoofer a tad after the damper and arm combo settled)
    • Separation between instruments/sounds increased (perhaps due to lower noise?)
    • Moving the tonearm with the lift is super smooth now. No more accidentally causing the tonearm to bounce when lifting off at the end of a record.
    • Looks like it is part of the turntable and is easy to install. Adding the damping fluid was the most time-consuming task.
    I adjusted my VTF after installation, and checked anti-skate by (sad, yes) eyeballing the lean of my stylus/cantilever, as well as checking by ear via headphones. It is now set a tad below the VTF figure (1.8 gr for my VM750SH). It sure sounds as though I've got things dialed in adequately.

I haven't had a chance to see how it performs on problem LPs in my collection - warped records or skips. My copy of Houses of the Holy is slightly warped, but not so much it was a problem prior to this mod, and it definitely wasn't an issue with the mod.

If I get curious enough, I'd like to try my V15 Type III (JICO SAS) with the damper. I have to run the V15 Type III at a VTF of 1.75gr, which is higher than recommended - primarily due to it not dealing with skips or warped records very well. Maybe the damper will help it track better and allow me to set the VTF closer to recommended levels? We will see at some point, but right now, I'm too busy enjoying myself.

missan, punkmusick, ranch 22b and 2 others like this.
  17. snorker

Enjoying mine as we speak. Fantastic upgrade. It really makes this a world-class tonearm.

[​IMG]

18. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

You will find it does a great job of tracking. Do you have any albums that have a skip? I have a couple (Stooges/Raw and Earth Wind & Fire live )- and with the damper - no skip - sails right through the passage.

I wouldn't run a Technics w/o it.

Looks sharp!

snorker likes this.
  19. missan

missan Forum Resident

Looks really good. Yes, no arm is complete without proper damping. I´ve been a proponent for correct arm damping for many years, yet very few arms have this feature. O well, it´s really good to see that some umderstand this.

snorker likes this.
  20. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yep - I like damping so much - that I've added the damping silicon to my VPI Classic's arm. I'm sold on it.

missan likes this.
  21. punkmusick

Do they make a black one for the SL-1210GR?

22. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I have the silver one on my black M5G and it looks fantastic with the tone arm finish (titanium.)

punkmusick likes this.
  23. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

clhboa and punkmusick like this.
  24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

My Clearaudio magnify tonearm has adjustable magnetic damping that I use often. But I don't have enough experience with the Technics 1200G yet. :hide:
    So, here are two simple questions for those that are more knowledgeable than me.

a) How easy is it to install?
    b) Can I remove it easily If I don't like the effect?

25. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

We'll you will need the following tools to install it:
    vice grips
    1/2 inch drill bit
    Ballpeen hammer
    tub of Bondo.

No it should be pretty simple - held in place with small set screws.

Also - you can remove the silicon with q tips - it is messy stuff so be careful. You remove the fluid and essentially you have disabled the feature - so you can turn it on and off fairly simply.