The 1 Song That Ruins An Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dominick, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

Without question. Oddly enough, Sting was a big fan of it, and was quite keen on its inclusion.

Fullbug likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I despair...

bataclan2002 and Paul Middleton like this.
  3. PteroDon

PteroDon Forum Resident

Dog Door sung by the brilliant Tom Waits on Sparklehorses otherwise fantastic What a Wonderful Life LP. It just doesn’t belong.....

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Don't think a single song can do it unless it is a really long song. I suppose if it comes first it could prevent me from hearing the rest of the album.

But Lennon surely did himself no favors ending his two finest albums with poorly performed versions of My Mummy's Dead and Ya Ya.

5. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

"Glorified G" from Pearl Jam's Vs.
    Should've swapped it with the much superior B-side "Alone" instead.

6. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

She Blinded Me With Science. The Golden Age of Wireless is an exceptional album. I love everything about it except for this single that was added to reissues. I never liked this song. And then there was Hyperactive... but I guess one needs to pick ones battles.

7. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Seamus used to annoy me. It's a silly song that serves no other purpose than to be silly.

Desolation Row likes this.
  8. Marmite

Marmite Well-Known Member

Mr Cab Drive on Let Love Rule by Lenny Kravitz.

Love Song on High Voltage by AC/DC (although the opening piece of music is great).

9. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

What's really cool is that I had this problem in the 1970s and 1980s, then suddenly all my albums with this issue were miraculously fixed by getting them on CD and using the magical "skip" button! I have Spotify now and it even has a "skip" button!

Fullbug likes this.
  10. Lucas Ferreira

Lucas Ferreira Active Member

"A Man Needs a Maid" and "There's a World"
    Are the only things keeping Harvest from perfection

11. Lucas Ferreira

Interesting. It's my favourite on the album. Would you agree that Will To Love is way too long ?

Desolation Row likes this.
  12. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

That's why I finish Help! off with "I'm Down".

Bern and gja586 like this.
  13. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I beg to differ. I actually love the entire side 4 of Chicago III.

14. Zack

Zack Senior Member

:eek:

15. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

“A Taste of Honey” on Please Please Me. And for the record, I think “Dizzy Miss Lizzy” ROCKS!!!

16. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Mother has to be my #1 too, but I can't argue with Les Boys either.

17. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

"Seamus" on Meddle by Pink Floyd doesn't sound fit to the rest on the album. Nice song though.

johnsiddique likes this.
  18. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

Four (IMO) stinkers that take a bite out of four really wonderful albums

The Loser In The End - Queen II - Queen
    Money - Dark Side of The Moon - Pink Floyd
    The Big Sleep - Two Suns - Bat For Lashes
    Hats Off To Harper - III - Led Zeppelin

Adam Bosman likes this.
  19. happydeathman

happydeathman Forum Resident

Revelation on Da Capo.

20. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

What the hell was doing Yellow Submarine in the middle of Revolver?? It doesn’t ruin an album that’s an undisputed masterpiece, but it certainly ruins it’s flow.

oldsurferdude and gja586 like this.
  21. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

To me the album would have been way better if they switched "Eleanor Rigby / Yellow Submarine" with "Paperback Writer / Rain".
    Try it! ;)

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  22. Lucas Ferreira

Hats Off To Harper may be different from the rest of the album, but IMHO it really works as a relaxing outro to the album

23. gutter b

gutter b Forum Resident

Cherry Pie - Warrant - ruined the album, their career, and Jani Lane's life.

24. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

These are my picks that ruin the flow or stand out as the only truly bad song on an album. I also can't help but like songs the more I listen to them, no matter how garbage I once found them to be.

Dizzy Miss Lizzy - Help! (The Beatles. Their worst cover besides the horrendous Matchbox. Way to ruin what could have been a fantastic finisher.)
    Only a Northern Song - Yellow Submarine (The Beatles. This is my least favourite Beatles original. Garbage. Second worst is All Together Now.)
    One After 909 - Let It Be (The Beatles. Not a good song, but not really bad either. The album is iffy, so maybe this shouldn't count, but this to me is the only really not good song on the album.)
    Four Until Late - Fresh Cream (Cream. Enjoyable, but not good.)
    Mother's Lament - Disraeli Gears (Cream. This stands as my least favourite song of all time. I never skip songs on any album but I just can't stand this one. It physically hurts.)
    Pressed Rat and Warthog - Wheels of Fire (Cream. Not terrible, but you have to ask why it exists.)
    A Saucerful of Secrets - A Saucerful of Secrets (Pink Floyd. I will defend this gorgeous album to my dying breath but the title track makes me fall asleep. The only time their 'meandering' became tiring to me.)
    Grand Vizier's Garden Party - Ummagumma (Pink Floyd. Perhaps the worst Pink Floyd song/s.)
    Suzy-Hang-Around - Waterloo (ABBA. Okay this is the only other song on any album I ever skip. Hate it.)
    I Wonder (Departure) - The Album (ABBA. One of the few songs they did that really is just complete garbage.)
    Stop That Train - Catch a Fire (Bob Marley & the Wailers. Not a bad song by any stretch of the imagination. To me it beats most of what's on Burnin', but it doesn't hold a candle to anything else on the album.)
    The Oppressed Song - Burnin' (The Wailers. Terrible song. This album is average, but this is the only song that I think goes beyond that.)
    Talkin' Blues - Natty Dread (Bob Marley. The second side of this album is poor, but this is trash. I like the blues, but this is just boring.)
    Easy Ride - The Soft Parade (The Doors. I still really like this song, somehow, but it's my least favourite Doors song.)
    Remember - Are You Experienced (The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Yawwwwn.)
    No Return - Something Else By the Kinks (The Kinks. Not bad, but boring and dull.)
    The Crunge - Houses of the Holy (Led Zeppelin. Yikes, what a piece of crap.)

25. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I'm the opposite. Hate Dizzy Miss, adore A Taste of Honey.

I don't think San Tropez does either so I don't mind it myself.

I used to dislike Hats Off as well but now I love it, but what I can't fathom is Money. :eek::eek:

I don't think Paperback works in the album, and I couldn't live without Eleanor Rigby.

johnsiddique likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.