The Kinks 2018 digital (streaming/download) remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindgames, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Thanks for this rundown although I don't agree about the 1998 Castle first album - I think it doesn't sound right. The Deluxe isn't great but I prefer it to the '98.

2. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Compare it to the HDtracks, it sounds nearly identical apart from the thinned out bass on the '98 (and slightly boosted bass on the HDtracks)

The boosted highs on the deluxe actually helps with the clarity of some tracks (it sounds a bit more hi-fi) but it's also obnoxiously loud. The HDtracks sits right in the middle, a good balance.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

What about the US Reprise pressing? I got rid of mine two decades ago, but that's certainly not compressed.

You also left out discussion of the Japanese Teichiku pressings. I've seen it said that they are the PRTs with varying degrees of NR applied, but the Teichiku Lola has the Contenders count-in (although not the TOTP drum roll) and the Teichiku Something Else has the the full-length Tin Soldier Man (although not the full-length Situations Vacant).

4. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

Thanks for you informative comparison and review. I wonder why the first two notes of "She's Bought A Hat..." are missing? Will that be fixed anytime soon?

Laservampire likes this.
  5. Laservampire

Good point about the Reprise Lola, I never had a copy to compare. US dub tape anyway.

I had a couple of the Teichiku Japanese CDs and they were pretty worthless in terms of audio quality (same goes for their Move 2fer). Interesting to note the differences though! Shame they felt the need to process the audio like they did.

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Teichiku Lola is actually one of the good ones. I'm not the best at detecting NR but I've seen others state there is none (or it's very minimal) on that particular disc. Sounds good to my cloth ears anyway.

Laservampire likes this.
  7. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

Was this noticeable while listening or is it only apparent through other means (e.g. track time)?

8. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

Well, generally speaking, all analogue media doesn't track at an exact speed, so I'm guessing running time is a bit different. Hopefully.

9. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

I was going to pass but after Laservampire's detailed post and other helpful feedback I bought Face To Face and Something Else as these 2 are favorites (esp. Something Else). I have old (mostly worn) vinyl, some PRTs & Castles (some were given away) & the deluxes. My basic attitude towards all British music of this era is it's not going to be perfect so just try to enjoy it, despite what certain masterings end up doing to it. :laugh: I'm not a hater of the Deluxe sets, though I understand some of the criticism (within limits).

If you won't miss $11 whatever definitely buy Something Else. The harpsichord and acoustic guitars sound nicer for instance, and other details, or maybe it was just the mezcal effecting my ears. Both the music and the mezcal had a certain clarity going for them. Face To Face which I played first was harder to judge simply because I tend to play the stereo more often, but I don't regret the purchase. I didn't A/B test them. I passed on Arthur as I have my parent's vinyl, Castle & Deluxe and it was reported on song was missing a few notes, so that there was enough. At this point in my life I'm happy with Mr. Sandoval's Deluxes for the pre-Face To Face material so I can pass on that. Anyway, another (slightly intoxicated non-scientific) data point.

10. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Excellent analysis,

The new Something Else looks more compressed than the Deluxe. DR9v10 for the stereo mix.
    I'm happy with the 2001 Sanctuary mini LP for this LP.

My source for KK is the K2, is the PRT much different in terms of EQ? I find it a bit bright in places but overall not bad and less compressed than the deluxe.

I need to dig the 98 castle of F2F out again, I had totally rejected it when the deluxe came out .

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Laservampire likes this.
  11. Laservampire

You're right, it does seem to hit the peaks a bit harder. The EQ on the HDtracks Something Else is by far preferable though.

I'll need to rip my mini LP for this one, I forgot I had it!

I don't have the KK K2, but the PRT/early Castle CLACD sounds fantastic. Worth tracking one down, so crankable and clear. The '98 remaster is a joke.

The 98 F2F isn't too bad apart from the early/NR'd fades. The K2 is the best source overall to my ears, but they're hard to come by.

I always read here that the '98 mono Village Green was NR'd and awful, but re-checking it the only NR is on the intro of Phenomenal Cat. The rest sounds good once the appropriate EQ is applied to reduce the harshness.

swedgin and NOS300B like this.
  12. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Glad you mentioned the Castle CLACD of KK as I have just found it for 6.99....
    Interested to hear your comments on the mini LP of Something Else....

I'll rerip the 98 F2F and have a listen, might save some money hunting down the K2.

Laservampire likes this.
  13. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

Thank you for the tips. By the way, I have a question: in which section of my gear profile should I enter the details about Hi-Res' (and downloads in general terms) listening?

14. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

I believe the stereo album proper for the Deluxe Edition actually has DR9 if you remove the bonus tracks. However, the EQ on the hi-res does sound much nicer than on the Deluxe, and I definitely find the hi-res preferable.

I also have the Sanctuary mini LP CD and thought it sounded quite nice, but I think a couple of the tracks (Situation Vacant and Tin Soldier Man?) are alternate mixes.

swedgin likes this.
  15. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Thanks for the reviews Laservampire. How's the MFSL Gold CD in comparison with the other masterings for the first two albums?

Laservampire likes this.
  16. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

That's correct both those tracks are remixes.... Situations Vacant is missing the coda.

Edmoney likes this.
  17. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I'd say that the PRT CD of Arthur is one of the best sounding 1960s rock CDs in my collection.

18. Laservampire

I don’t have a copy of that one yet, it’s possible it’s just the PRT CDs with some nice EQ. Will report back when I find out!

Definitely the closest thing to an “audiophile” Kinks CD!

19. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

I never had an issue with the Reprise Arthur, either.

20. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

wish people would stop lauding the PRT CD's. I got rid of all mine when the 98 remasters arrived assuming that they would be better quality. How wrong I was

bobcat likes this.
  21. Laservampire

The pre-98 Castle CLACD series are virtually the same as the PRTs and much easier to come by.

mjlynott likes this.
  22. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

The only difference for most is that the channels are swapped, right? Or are there any actual mastering differences?

23. Laservampire

There's a tiny bit more cut off in the ultrasonic frequencies (like 21khz vs 20.5khz!), the first track on Lola is missing the count off (same with the German PRT), and yes the channels are swapped (apart from Village Green, which is identical to the German PRT apart from having the hiss not faded out to silence in between tracks)

Otherwise they sound identical, and can be had for under $10 each. Here's the barcodes for them to make ebay searches easy:

24. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Thanks. Wasn't planning on getting any, but since you've basically done all the work for me, I might as well start checking. Hitting the shops on Saturday, who knows?

Quincy and Laservampire like this.
  25. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Ew, intros cut off, portions of songs missing, reversed channels...I’ll take the Deluxes any day. I might have to check out these hi res versions when there’s a coupon again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.