Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Like I said, even if they're a little "on the nose," if they help bring about a rock revival even in limited form, I say more power to them. Plus, they're still very very young and developing, cut 'em some slack.

musicfan37, markshan, Norco74 and 3 others like this.
  2. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

It is ok to have differing opinions. Kid is trying too hard with the mimic. Nothing wrong pointing that out.

DHamilton, DPK, southamorican and 2 others like this.
  3. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Yeah... it's obnoxious.

yarbles and southamorican like this.
  4. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Not the biggest fan of their music, but I give them big points for original sound.

southamorican and eelkiller like this.
  5. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bbanderic, jmczaja, Django and 4 others like this.
  6. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

...and despite the sloggin' on this thread - GVF continues to grow, sell out shows, and bring in new fans all over the world. :D

Jason Flom (Lava Records head who signed GVF) says he's heard their new (and first) album and that a lot of the "they're just copying Led Zeppelin" criticism will go away after folks hear it for themselves.

I doubt it will change the minds of the entrenched naysayers on this thread though. We shall see.

Stay tuned.

musicfan37, Brendan K and artfromtex like this.
  7. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

When Boomers hail you as bringing back rock
    [​IMG]

Old Rusty likes this.
  8. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Don't make me break out the Bieber defense (re: "lol they're selling out shows, how many have you sold out?"). It's 2018, and there are bands you've never heard of selling out venues around the world.

If they have some truly unique material on the horizon, then he better break out of the Plant pose and develop his own stage persona.

Etc.

DHamilton and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  9. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I don't mind the deliberate Plant-isms as much as I wish the guy could actually look natural doing it. He looks like an understudy for a role who never actually expected to be on stage with it.

If you're going to throw shapes, throw some that come naturally to you...

None of this is to be taken as a critique of the music, which is fine. :p

WarEagleRK likes this.
  10. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

GVF are still a very green band on stage. I think the singer may be dealing with some nerves/anxiety (pure speculation). I think as they get more experience under their belt they, and he, will get looser and have a more original stage presence.

11. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Yeah, the sudden burst of fame and attention probably fast tracked them into larger venues when they would otherwise, by rights, still be doing small clubs and someone's garage...

12. Yes, we shall see...and hear if the singer totally changed his singing style for the album.

13. aroney

I hope not.

Maybe they'll lose that electric guitar, bass and drums too and start rockin' the accordion, wind chimes, and pan flute - you know, so they can become really unique and different. ;)

You'll hear more range, variety, and such, but that's the dudes voice and it's a big part of why (more) people like (and others dislike) the band.

14. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Accordion, wind chimes and pan flute? What a crock! Amateur rip-off artists of the highest caliber!

You get those kids out there with a signal generator, a silverware drawer and some bagpipes and we'll talk originality!

:winkgrin:

aroney likes this.
  15. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I don't think there was ever any danger of this thread derailing their career.

Their supporters have to understand where their detractors are coming from.

I get it, rock fans want a rock band to lead a revolution. Some want to get bad music out of the mainstream or at least get rock back in the fight and these guys are the current next best chance with their current hype.

The awkward stage presence and the Plant vocals turned up to 11 just make me wonder if this is their actual sound or if this is a marketing push to get them attention and the coping the Zep vibe is the angle the marketing is taking.

overdrivethree and Runicen like this.
  16. aroney

Ha, of course this thread is but a blip in the world that is GVF.

I personally have zero expectations about any musical revolution happening 'cuz of these guys. If they can bring some more youth into the fold to pick up an 'letric guitar and bang on some drums - then so be it.

The fact is there are a TON of great rock bands out there. You just have to look - and most people don't. Most of the newer hard rock and metal I've latched onto in recent years is from overseas where it seems they have much longer memories for rock and metal than us here fickle Americans.

Anyway, GFV have actually been playing in this vein for years and there are early demos floating around in the interwebs. They even did a Kickstarter for a video and EP several years ago. Ahh, found some:

Copying bands that had their hey-day in the 70's is not a logical path one would take to make a dent in the current state of music. They are sincere in what they do and, like it or not, it is their sound.

artfromtex and Runicen like this.
  17. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Are we sure this kid isn't using some new autotune sound processor that's got "Robert Plant" as one of the options? I mean c'mon -- he looks like he just got done playing XBox!

18. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

He's a year older than Robert Plant was when he recorded LZ1...

Yeah, so he's obviously emulating Percy. Which makes him about the millionth guy to do that.

19. aroney

Yep, gonna finish up this here game and go play Coachella, warm up for Guns n' Roses and then go play a sold out show.

Not too shabby...:D

Brendan K and artfromtex like this.
  20. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

21. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

22. aroney

Well, it was fun while it lasted...:(

mattright and Daryl M like this.
  23. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

So Jake the guitar player has a cover/interview in the new Guitar Player magazine (this
    without a full-length release). Anyway, my opinion of him just shot up immeasurably.
    Jake says he has been listening to a `lot of Allman Brothers on this tour'. And, in so many
    words, that the Duane influence is all over the new album. Wow! An Allman/Zeppelin
    hybrid?! Might as well borrow from the best, kid. Can't wait to hear it.

MikeInFla likes this.
  24. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I just saw them last night at the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville NJ. I’ve never seen so much buzz about a band like this since probably Nirvana. The place was packed and sold out with a huge line around the building of people waiting to get in. The crowd would go berserk for them when they came out. A lot of young people but also a good mix of an older crowd. I gotta admit, they rocked pretty hard. They do have a huge Zeppelin influence which is not a bad thing but I think they’re still finding they’re feet. Hopefully they’ll be able to grow into a style all their own. I did enjoy the show though and was impressed by them.

25. Charlie Z.

Charlie Z. Forum Resident

I was at their Starland Ballroom show in NJ last night as well and came away much impressed. For all the attention the vocals get, Jake steals the show on guitar. This kid is good and can deliver live!
    I'm looking forward to the full album and really hope they can build on the massive momentum behind them.
    They seem to be pegged as the "latest, last hope for rock" and I hope the weight of that isn't too much for them to deal with and doom them in short order.

On the other hand, as much as I enjoyed GFV's set, the opening act, Dorothy, was TREMENDOUS!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.