Agharta & Pangaea, is there not a market for a CD reissue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by babaluma, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Heretic! :D
    The US artwork of Agharta is quite good, if you ask me:
    [​IMG]

2. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Anything is possible. Last year Sony finally allowed another Columbia album, the 1959 stereo rerecording of Percy Faith's "Music of Christmas", to be reissued by Real Gone Music remastered from the master tapes by Vic Anesini. This was after nearly 30 years of an older far poorer quality CD being pressed annually by Columbia that used questionable sources and what seems like primitive noise reduction techniques.

So I guess if there's enough poking and prodding done over a period of years then I'd say yes, properly done CD's might be possible, but it may be a long road before it comes to fruition if at all.

3. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

I see the "Music on CD" label is releasing Pangaea on May 4, 2018 - the only listing I've seen is on Amazon and no other information is given. I assume this won't be a new remaster?

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The Music on CD series usually features the same old remasters (sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it isn't).

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  5. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Isn't a box set for this tour supposedly on the horizon? Really needs it.

ohnothimagen and Jazzmonkie like this.
  6. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

It would be great to see Sony put out a bootleg series volume from the Agharta concert and time frame. Until then, I am sticking with my original Japanese vinyl versions of Agharta and Pangaea (which I found used but Mint for $15 each in the late 90's).

ohnothimagen and Tim Bucknall like this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If there is an indication that there is, I haven't heard of it. I know some people want it.

ohnothimagen and Tim Bucknall like this.
  8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Good catch! I had to pay over the double for an original Jap copy of Pangaea.
    There's only one known FM broadcast out there from 1974-75 (Jan 22, 1975). Miles was like an underground act by then except in Japan...he certainly didn't have much interest from CBS. There's no indication they recorded any other concert in Japan. A bit rich to plunder radio station tapes now as they are doing...they could have recorded their artist anytime, but they didn't care.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They recorded the two shows on February 1 as well as having Dark Magus and four other live albums between 1970 and 72. Not many artists of the era had more professional live recordings than that.

ciderglider likes this.
  10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Perhaps so, but no other artist was Miles Davis.

11. Agharta is the only Music on Vinyl reissue I don't like, I'm 99.9% sure its the 1990 US CD remix I just got rid of on CD, foggy distant etc

So the CD reissue will probably suck

Thanks to the member who linked to Reggie Lucas' solo album, I bought it.
    side 2 is brilliant! Like having an extra album by the Agharta band!

12. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

You've nailed it describing the differences between the '91 US Legacy issue, the mid '90s Mastersound remix and the 2006 mini lp issue. Recently I've been listening to the US version which is indeed more laid back and had a unique mastering. What I like about it is the lack of compression and it's crankable and balanced. The 2006 issue which is the master used for the more recent Blu Spec issues is the original Japan LP mix...with input from the original engineer.

Tim Bucknall and eeglug like this.
  13. I stumbled across old promotional material from the 1997 reissue campaign during a recent web search and it confirmed the widespread suspicion that no one at columbia US recognises the value of Miles 1970-1975 music
    i forget the name of the columbia employee who gave the statement, i'm paraphrasing but it was essentially , well we put dark magus out because the kids know hendrix and so they can relate to DM and hopefully it will act as a gateway for the kids to eventually get into "proper Miles" ie: the acoustic jazz stuff.

so there we have it, the record company stating in its reissue campaign that this incredible powerful prophetic music which we all adore has no intrinsic value , its only worth to them is as a "gateway" to sell sketches of spain & kind of blue.

luckily the Japanese label "get it", they "got it" at the time and they still get it

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    ScottyNYC, Ben Adams, DTK and 3 others like this.
  14. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

You realize you can turn any clamshell case onto a slimline double on your own, right?

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Show us, please.

16. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Yeah but I'm very lazy. I need a couple of new double CD cases anyway so this might be the post that finally prompts me into action. Thanks.

17. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

What do you expect from a big record company like Columbia, though? It's all about the bucks, man, f--k the art of the actual music they're selling.

DTK likes this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Well, it was 1997, Marsalis Mania was still going strong.

Maurice and crispi like this.
  19. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Yes—agreed!

ohnothimagen likes this.
  20. lbgarcia

lbgarcia Senior Member

I purchased the BluSpec versions from Japan. They are well worth the price. I decided that
    after playing the first minute.

garrincha, frightwigwam, gd0 and 2 others like this.
  21. babaluma

babaluma Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone know what masters Spotify is using?

22. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

Reminds me of what a Columbia spokesperson said after the Ken Burns jazz series: to paraphrase, "we're hoping people see this and skip from Coltrane to Wynton and Branford." That is to say, erasing all of the incredible artists and music of the '60s through '80s before Wynton "saved" jazz via well-tailored suits.

SOONERFAN, Humbuster, Maurice and 4 others like this.
  23. babaluma

babaluma Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was listening to a series of bootlegs I have from 1973 and 1975 and some Youtube videos. I keep meaning to do a Miles electric live post as there are some amazing performances that outshine some of the official releases. While I love Dark Magus it would be great to hear the unedited performances. Hearing the band play a full show actually makes it clearer the skill of the players of this line up. Miles is continually stopping and starting the band and they are always bang on it and seamlessly go into each section without breaking a sweat.

You also end up having such admiration for Al Foster, being able to play with such intensity, in the line up Miles was in charge but I feel Al translated the directions and was the true engine room of each show. I also love Sonny Fortunes playing, anyone who doubted the "jazz" content of these shows just needs to check him out. While Dave Liebman is a great player he himself admitted he was was less comfortable with the music being played. Fortune feels fully integrated and always brings light and melody into the darkness.

It is fun to hear Pete Cosey's sound develop. In early 1973 shows he plays with a clean tone and is much more bluesy. Them someone buys him a fuzz and you can really hear how he starts using the new textural possibilities to enhance his approach. One thing is he is quite often mixes really low, on Dark Magus his is mainly on disk 1 and is very low if you then compare the mix to disk 2 where Dominique Gaumont is much more present. On a few bootlegs he is also very low.

It is a shame Reggie Lucas didn't get to solo more as he is a fine player. He gets 2 or 3 solos on Agharta & Pangaea and he has a fine bluesy tone. Not as extreme as Cosey but still an interesting voice. In-fact check out Paul's Mall. Boston, September 1972 bootleg and he plays a very cool solo on Rated X which is a more dissonant and quite interesting sound that with the arrival of Cosey he did not then develop.

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If I had to pick one of them, it would be Liebman because I find Fortune a bit conservative, but I've only heard a few recordings with him. Definitely jazz content with both of them though.

25. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Any chance of a link to this so we can see the un-paraphrased statement?
    This Hi Hat release Miles Davis - Live in Tokyo 1975 is tailor made for Sonny Fortune fans, and you probably already have it. I think Sonny Fortune may have only been on one tour with Miles, the majority of the recordings are Dave Liebman. I had thought for years that I preferred Sonny Fortune to Dave Liebman but at some point I decided just the opposite. Sonny Fortune was busy leading his own bands at the time, touring and recording with McCoy Tyner etc. In a jazz fusion setting of that period I'd recommend the Horacee Arnold album Horacee Arnold - Tales Of The Exonerated Flea . Enjoyed your comments re: Al Foster and in fact that entire rhythm section which included in many respects Reggie Lucas, RIP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.