Cd’s when are they obsolete ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pocofan, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member Thread Starter

Just realizing that CD’s to many people are viewed the same as cassettes are

deredordica likes this.
  2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Depends on the kid.

3. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Interesting. I still like them a lot and still buy them. Sadly i just realized that I only rip them and put them in a box. I guess they'll be nice and mint if they ever go up in value.

4. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

5. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member Thread Starter

Could make a comeback like LP’s did I suppose

6. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

That's generally the mindset of (mostly younger) listeners who are mainly into mainstream artists, including listeners who don't listen to albums but just assorted songs on Spotify, iTunes, etc. Many of us who are into the older album-oriented artists and independent artists still prefer hard copies of the music. If the mainstream CD market dries up, it may well strengthen the format on the indie scene. And I won't be at all surprised if CDs make a significant comeback like vinyl did.

wgb113, Dave112, bhazen and 28 others like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

CDs will see me out.:)

You can still buy most new releases on the format. Boxsets and special editions are rampant. I’m more worried about the possibility that good quality CD and SACD players will disappear...

But otherwise, we can rest easy. I’m still waiting for the CD resurgence, to be honest... If cassettes can come back anything can happen.:)

Didn’t I say all this in a similar thread last week?

:D

rxcory, willy, lance b and 40 others like this.
  8. JamesGB

JamesGB Well-Known Member

Amazon with the Autorip MP3 downloads gave CDs a new lease of life (at least for me). Even more so that for some perverse reason many CDs (with the digital download) are cheaper than the download alone on Amazon.
    Most teenagers use Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer or YouTube. The CD has been dead to teenagers for almost 15 years now.

pez, Limopard, weef and 5 others like this.
  9. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

Try to sell one now - they are as obsolete as vinyl was in 1994. Value for any generic commercial CD is between 1-2€/USD but no takers.

No stores sell them, get the pattern?

Wait 20 years, see what happens.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NEVER? vinyl...yes...FOR ME personally.

11. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Yes, anything can happen. I thought 8-track tapes were gone for good, but some people who are into restoring old classic cars with 8-track tape decks in them are going to thrift stores and on line and seeking out 8-track tapes. (As for this leading to manufacturing them again, I'm not holding my breath.) CDs are going to be around for a long, long time; just not necessarily in places like Target, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart.

joshm2286, Siegmund, JDeanB and 2 others like this.
  12. Michael

yup, that's why I still buy them and keep them...no more mistakes!

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Technically they are obsolete now. Digital music formats such as FLAC do everything the CD can do and more, and with better portability. The CD is just a container, digital music is the format. I still listen to mine though - my disc player/receiver system still sounds slightly better than FLAC from my computer. Most of us who got into digital music through the CD will probably keep the format going for a few more years though.

14. Michael

NOT in sound quality or convenience...they will see the light those kiddies!

15. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

When it gets hard to find a working player/reader.

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I can see that happening within my lifetime. The whole Oppo thing has made me somewhat pessimistic about the possibility of finding affordable do-it-all disc players in the near future.

17. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

And last month...and the month before..........and the one before that.....:sigh:

mark winstanley, Chooke, Mbe and 3 others like this.
  18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Cassette sales are actually on the rise.

19. Bobby Morrow

But I’ll wake up tomorrow and this thread will be 20 pages long.
    :)

20. Michael

nearly every DVD/BD player plays them and they will be around for many years to come new and used...too many discs out there...

21. Michael

a fad and it will die out...it has too many limitations...

Zomvid, Jrr, MackKnife and 8 others like this.
  22. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

a CD is obsolete when it becomes too scratched up to play without skipping. Then I go buy another copy.

23. Bobby Morrow

My God, you’re right!

[​IMG]

:)

24. Michael

cure: rip it when it's new...

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I don't understand the cassette hype. CDs, vinyl records and hi res audio sound much better. Always.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.