The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

What do you want to do with your life?

I WANNA ROCK!

Curveboy likes this.
  2. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Grohl is excellent on the drums. His Probot stuff had some good drumming too.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

AJ Pero? Joey Franco?

No

;)

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

That Probot album is REALLY good.

Stormrider77 and jeffgt14 like this.
  5. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Cozy Powell - either Rainbow Rising or Long Live Rock n Roll (I actually prefer LLRnR to RR, realizing that I'm in the minority here).

Northwind, Curveboy, slipkid and 5 others like this.
  6. ian christopher

Also a big fan of Steve Zimmerman's work on the early Fates Warning albums. Somewhat similar to Scott Rockenfield's work on
    the early Queensryche albums, but I feel that Zim has just a bit more power/oomph to his druming.

Listen for the ride attack on the pre chorus, and his excellent Tom-Tom interplay in the bridge to the verses.

And that wonderful, glorious China crash which he plays about 4x in the song (never overplaying it)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Easily one of the best albums of 1986.

ian christopher likes this.
  8. ian christopher

Fates always had incredible drummers - easy for Zim to get lost in the shuffle a bit. Their least flashy skinsman, but very powerful.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Big fan of Fates Warning here, and yes, two excellent drummers. I also know Cozy, of course.

ian christopher and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

aj pero is a beast

11. ian christopher

there's a certain quality to Twisted Sister's radio hits from Stay Hungry - even if the melodies and lyrics seem overplayed,
    I never tire of the massively cool, in-the-pocket drum beats. Pero was awesome. RIP

12. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

So much talk about skinsmiths but to a non-musician, it's hard, verging on the impossible to extract from most performances what separates 'run o'th'mill' from true excellence.

Moeover, musos who thoughtfully stroke a professionally coiffeured goatee and purse their lips will eulogise profusely on all matters Bonzoic, cementing some default, sacrosanct status but compared to Billy Ward I'm thinking, oh-so privately, "er, OK, if you insist..."

Indeed, of the drummers I can easily name, only 'Sabbath's jazz fusionist, the legendary Canadian trio's octopus and my personal fave, El Cozy Powell, actually perform with sufficient distinction that I can say, ah, yes, that's him, him or the other one.

Then again, production - as ever - lumbers into the equation because the recorded sound catalyses a vast amount of emotional preference and if I'm honest, I'm far less enamoured with Peart's later work versus his 70s and (very) early 80s recordings, say and this is probably, surely, entirely down to the unsatisfactory, sonic nature of so many 'post-digital era' records.

13. Trillmeister

Anyway, Firepower is here: bought from a shop and a CD in a proper jewel box.

I wonder what Messrs. Allom, Sneap & Exeter have concocted?

14. ian christopher

I'd add Ian Paice to that list of merry 3. Can instantly pick his drumming out in a song.

zen, Trillmeister and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Another one that's very easy to pick out is Philthy Animal Taylor. Bizarre technique (if you can even call it that), but exactly what Motorhead needed.

16. Trillmeister

Oh, Philthy! He was insane; what a character. From the pre-ProbleMarketing Age.

ian christopher and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Trillmeister

Quick journey into 'tracks 1 thru 5' from Firepower and I'm already penning a love letter.

I'm hearing some kind of classic-modern hybrid of sounds and playing styles which in conjunction with Halford's Peter Pan vocal, has forced me to even greater quantities of Saturday night 'Nun.

Oh, The Rapture! :love:

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

It's funny, we were just talking about Cozy in another thread, and I realized I needed to come back here and nominate him for the great drummers quest. Definitely Rainbow Rising. Also I am a huge Schenker fan so MSG (his 2nd solo album) and his One Night Live at Budokan are way up there with Cozy in my book.

19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Scott Rockenfield (Queensryche)

20. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Few albums that come to mind (I’m leaving aside the obvious but must listen albums by Led Zep, Rush,
    early Black Sabbath and many others from that era):

Motley Crue’s self titled album from 1994 (best drumworks by Tommy Lee)

Dragonforce’s Sonic Firestorm (speed!)

Any Motorhead album with Mikkey Dee on drums. Sacrifice comes to mind. Thunderous drumming.

KISS’ Carnival Of Souls (Eric Singer shines on this album in my view).

Geddy Lee’s My Favorite Headache (Matt Cameron on drums plays a great Neal Peart style).

Soundgarden’s Badmotorfinger

Baroness - Purple (check the Chlorine and Wine video)

The Coverdale - Page album.

GnR’s Appetite For Destruction

Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie and the Infinite sadness

Any Dream Theater album

Extreme’s Waiting For The Punchline (with Mike Mangini on drums).

I’m sure there’s many more that I’m missing.

21. Digital Morphine

Digital Morphine Forum Resident

Agree, I think Altars sounds best overall. Sandovals best drum work is on the Terrorizer stuff, he boots the absolute sh1t out of World Downfall.

The bassist, Juan Alderete, aw man.... scary good!

22. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Speaking of MSG, I know he's just a session drummer, but Simon Philips has played on two great albums, the MSG debut and Priest's Sin After Sin. Excellent performance on both, there's some great interaction between him and Schenker on "Into the Arena".

23. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

That's a lot of recommendations, thanks. I do know a lot of these, gonna check out some of the rest. Was never into band's like Baroness, for example, but I'll hear them just for the good drumming.

ian christopher and Ivand like this.
  24. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

I like him too. Twisted Sister had a lot of cool songs, it's just that two of their worst ones became such big hits, it's put everyone off the band. Another problem with Stay Hungry is how thin the album sounds. The title track is excellent, but it's crying for punchier drums, the kind that you can hear on You Can't Stop Rock & Roll. Now, that's a monster drum sound.

25. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident