Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I've always liked the track too. It's not on his highlight reel, but still a decent mid-tempo rocker.

I like it better than I've Had Enough...but I'm not sure that's a ringing endorsement!

Zeki likes this.
  2. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Adding my hat in with regards to wondering what's going on with the catalog. You'd think that MPL and Capitol would have something interesting in mind over the next few years, but with little exception they've just been sitting on the catalog with no plans except for barebones reissues in sight.

Also didn't work on the Archive release of "Flowers In The Dirt" begin during the Concord era? Because if so that would show the catalog is essentialy right now when there should be direction and purpose.

3. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Okay, not to be controversial, but I see both tracks beneath Paul and sort of the stuff the Beatles / solo stuff built upon and got beyond. Another example is Name and Adress.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  4. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Fair. But the need for filler was more essential when they got on their own. All four of them had tracks that were "unworthy."

Some filler is better than others.

Zeki and Oyster Boy like this.
  5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I'm just more discreet with my "nadir of his career" nomination. :D

Oyster Boy and AppleCorp3 like this.
  6. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Now all the complainers got what they wished for.....no coming soon cards, no nothing. They come now if and when they come. I love it!!!

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, it's ridiculous to view that comment as anything even vaguely meaningful.

When I clicked on the link in Oyster Boy's post, I figured the owner of SDE had made the comment, but nope - just some guy called "Aaron"!

Unless we find out "Aaron" has a track record of inside knowledge, that post is as meaningless as meaningless can be!

supermd, Shak Cohen and Mr. Explorer like this.
  8. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I already have
    God, I sure go hope Aaron is wrong!!!

9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Obviously at this point it's just blind gossip. But, if it were true, it could be rationalized. If the "best" or most loved albums were all done in Archive Editions, there would be little excitement for the remaining volumes. But if the lower tier stuff like Broad Street comes out first, they can save the best for last. But then just about anything could be rationalized. Since we got nothing better to talk about, do we think a supposed Archive of Broad Street would include the film? Or would a totally separate Blu-Ray release come out concurrently? Rock Show wasn't included as part of Wings Over America. However, the Put It There special was included in Flowers. I have to imagine Broad Street would be difficult to include.

Big a fan as I am, and as much as I do love the soundtrack, I've never seen more than a few clips. The best footage has to be Paul in the studio doing the wonderful medley.

I would like a Broad Street remaster. I bet they could get it to sound as good as the new remaster of Pipes Of Peace.

Sean, OobuJoobu, Oyster Boy and 2 others like this.
  10. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

While I wouldn't be heart broken if it was Give my Regards, there are way too many albums I'd rather see first

Sean, Mr. Explorer and longdist01 like this.
  11. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

I understand why we all speculate on what maybe, possibly, perhaps might be the next Archive Collection release, if Sir Paul chooses to continue the series and as "Aaron" foresees the eventual winner via his Magic 8 Ball. But the only real determinant is what Paul feels like doing. The whole project appears to be predicated upon which of his albums he sees as either personal favorites or most significant to/in his own life. The lack of an obvious schedule (chronological, highest- to lowest-selling, best- to worst critical reception, etc.) makes it a reasonably safe guess that he largely has cherry-picked the releases; beyond that it feels more and more like he either won't do the ones that he doesn't have particularly fond memories of or, if eventually he does them, they are so far down on his priority list that pretty much everything else cuts ahead of them in line (Beatles projects, touring, new albums, other reissue ideas, getting a suntan, ...).

More and more my gut feeling is that he has exhausted his list of older (e.g. 25+ years ago) favorites and now is looking to do other things. That doesn't mean that he'll never release other titles, especially if pre-production work already has been done on them and finishing them would be a relatively uncomplicated task. But the expanding timelines between releases, and the lack of a clear plan or schedule to adhere to ("Coming Soon" or otherwise), smell a lot to me like his heart isn't into the idea anymore. He's been known to blow hot and cold on things, so maybe at some point he reheats on it and we see some movement on the issue. But until then it seems like we should get used to being disappointed and just accept that McCartney always has projects of some kind of another in the works, if not necessarily the ones we prefer, and that we'll simply get what we get, when he wants to do them. To the extent that he has earned the privilege over many successful years of plotting his own course, we should respect the fact that he has positioned himself well to do so. The alternative is to find other artists to follow, if one so chooses.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Paul H and Skywheel like this.
  12. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Or to point to Dylan, Elvis and others who have gotten a lot of product to the people most likely to be interested in purchasing it -- existing fans for decades -- without tarnishing artistic legacy.

Look at the AAA Beatles mono box for an apparent example the fruit of not going along with trends and directions of the powers that be nor completely disengaging from the process, but respectfully pointing out the shortcomings of previous product and pointing out the merits of going in a direction preferable to the consumer.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  13. freddiebell

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the idea. But getting him to listen and then to do something about it is another thing altogether. I'm sure that he has heard those "what Dylan has done" arguments already, both from without (fan communication) and from within (MPL, etc.). McCartney, however, seems quite content to do it his way regardless. As noted, he's earned that privilege and doesn't need either the money or the sales to validate himself and his legacy. One hopes that he can be persuaded, but I'm pessimistic that anyone will be able to change his approach unless they have a particularly novel argument to make and are well-positioned personally to do so. Good luck with that, on both counts.

14. freddiebell

To what you added afterward I'd say yes, there is merit to the thought. But then it is much easier to make a case for a Beatles-related vault or archival release as a sales and marketing bonanza than, say, a Wild Life or London Town reissue project. Much as we love them, that audience is certainly more limited, and Sir Paul knows that as well as anybody. And then there's the fact that Apple isn't just McCartney's domain. Things only get done there if Ringo, Yoko, and Olivia also are willing to sign off on them, and I'm guessing that money/income/revenue stream are a larger consideration to them than to McCartney with his back catalog ideas. Not being an insider, I don't know a thing about how Apple makes its decisions, but I'm confident in guessing that it exists largely to, in order, 1) maximize income, and 2) safeguard the legacy. Maybe McCartney, via MPL and his other personal business interests, has the same goals. But my gut feeling always has been that he is financially secure enough to make decisions that are less guided by profit motive than most other artists. Yet that sense of freedom doesn't necessarily translate to his vaults, to the extent that Sir Paul has chosen not to mine them wholesale for his reissues -- we've all already identified lots of things he's left in the can relative to the Archive Collection so far, never mind what we don't know about -- and that he doesn't go in for what are, to us anyway, logical "new" freestanding archival releases (e.g. 1972, 1973, and 1979 live tour albums, One Hand Clapping, Cold Cuts, that supposedly-in-the-works rarities box, etc.). The logical question is "why not?". We're still waiting for the answer.

Oyster Boy and Mr. Explorer like this.
  15. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

I can see them coupling a couple of "ok" albums, with a couple great albums in future releases:

Give My Regards To Broadstreet
    Press to Play
    Run Devil Run
    Flaming Pie

Driving Rain
    Off the Ground
    Red Rose Speedway
    London Town

Back to the Egg
    Wild Life
    Memory Almost Full
    Unplugged

All the Best
    Tripping the Live Fantastic
    Choba B CCCP
    Good Evening New York City (Vinyl debut)

PIPEDREAM LIST:

Rushes
    Paul is Live
    Back in the U.S.
    Back in the World

Sean, Mr. Explorer and Oyster Boy like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If they suddenly started to release 4 Archive sets at the same time, we'd all be having heart attacks here. ;)

17. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

I've given up on the Archive releases.

MaestroDavros and Oyster Boy like this.
  18. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Well, he was Judas after all.

19. BurtThomasWard

Yeah, I think that is probably the safe bet. I love Macca but I never thought the super deluxes were that great when it came to content anyway. I have the double cd sets for the rest and I'm more than happy with those, really. Well, almost :D

And the only box I bought was Tug of War and that was because I was forced to do so because I needed the original mix :cussing::cussing::cussing::crazy::crazy::crazy:

20. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

What’s frustrating is that, even if the remaining albums are just single disc remasters, we’ll still have to wait months to see them released!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Easter was last week!!

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  22. BurtThomasWard

I think I've heard that mentioned a time or two, yes :D

23. BurtThomasWard

Easter is everywere, man!

BTW, the walrus, which BTW is a Tibetan symbol of death according to the internet, stole Faul's reissue program :shake:

Brother_Rael likes this.
  24. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Pretty much sums up what I've been saying for a few years now: I'm wishing for Archives other than the remaining Wings albums, because once we get those, it's over. They'll come eventually, and when they do they'll be the final ones.

Bring on Broad Street and Press To Play!

Shak Cohen likes this.
  25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Arnie,

Maybe it will be something we don't expect. A Triple whammy Boxset :oops:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.