The 1 Song That Ruins An Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dominick, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I disagree and think Document is perfect.

jimmydean likes this.
  2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yes!!!

Noooooo.

YOSW fits perfectly on W&W.

3. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I like it well enough but I think You Might Recall fits perfectly in there in its place.

4. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I agree with Communication Breakdown and Dr. Robert being the low points of their albums, but I still love both.

5. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

Amen.

6. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Whaaat, and lose that great guitar solo?

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Neil Young's "Motorcycle Mama" on the stellar Comes a Time sure tries.

setlistthief likes this.
  8. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

My brain just exploded. That statement is pure blasphemy.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    LoveYourLife, John Fell and Cassiel like this.
  9. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

I definitely agree. It absolutely ruins the album from being perfect.

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Bowie's "After Today" would have been sooooo much better in its place.

11. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

There were a few others besides Bad Boy that could have easily fit on Help! If it needed to be a rocker, I'm Down, a ballad, Yes It Is...those were both contemporary enough to fit on Help! I think Wait, that ended up on Rubber Soul, was also already recorded and available for Help!

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  12. EdogawaRampo

Thematically it kind of fits, but I think it could have been cut down by at least 3/4's and still might have been a bit too long.

13. EdogawaRampo

And how on earth did Can't Buy Me Love end up on Let It Be? Wouldn't bother me to never hear that one again!

14. EdogawaRampo

It would work right after Till There Was You and before Little Child. That's where I always put it on my own comps.

ToneLa likes this.
  15. EdogawaRampo

I'm pretty sure those got stuck in those LPs for a couple of reasons:

1. deadline pressure -- there just wasn't enough in the can for a full LP and Capitol wanted one now. Shut Down Vol. two is the worst offender Sonny Love vs Cassius Wilson is cringe worthy, Denny's Drums is pointless and, well, I'm not quite so down on Shut Down Part 2 (the instrumental) because I do like mid-60s sounds, but it is pretty seriously tepid when all is is said and down.

2. With the talk tracks, Wilson has said the idea was to 'connect' the band with fans, with talk, comedy, news or all three. Nice in theory, but I still think it was severe deadline pressure.

3. Same with I'm Bugged With My Ole' Man -- whatever one thinks of the lyric, musically it's cribbed right out of '50's doo-wop and impresses as a real rush job with only piano and voice.

16. EdogawaRampo

It also sounds like it wasn't even meant for the album. It doesn't fit at all, like it was something the band did and left in the can for some time and just stapled it on to the end of the LP.

17. EdogawaRampo

It has just always sounded so completely insincere to me, like let's just whip one out.

18. EdogawaRampo

I somewhat partial With The Beatles outtake of that one. If they'd gotten a good take back then if might have fit there. I'd have much preferred it on WTB to Hold Me Tight, for example.

19. EdogawaRampo

No one mentioned:

Nighttime In The Switching Yard on Warren Zevon's Excitable Boy.

I'm not sure I hate it or that it "ruins" the album, but I never liked it there. It just doesn't fit. It's jarring. Someone needs to do something about it.

OK! It's been fun! It's obvious I like this thread and I'll be back when I can!

Later.

20. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I think it might have been the only weak track on there besides Little Child myself. I’m sure it wouldn’t have been bad, though, and it certainly would’ve suited being there more instead.

21. A Saucerful of Scarlets

By the way you can have multiple responses within a post.

22. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was a joke, bro.

23. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

Heart: Dreamboat Annie. MAGIC MAN

24. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

"Dog Years" on Rush's Test for Echo is a complete dog turd, and "Red Hot" on Mötley Crüe's Shout at the Devil is complete filler on an otherwise awesome album.

A much more recent example would be "Eternal" from Depeche Mode's Spirit. That song sounds like it took Martin Gore exactly the length of time of the song to write, complete with lyrics that sound completely improvised, stream of conscious and pointless. Remove that song from Spirit and it's practically a flawless album, but "Eternal"'s spot on the album really grinds it to a screeching halt.

25. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

Seriously?! :)

I think it is a turgid song that completely deflates the momentum build up by the superb two opening tracks - Eleventh Earl of Mar and One for the Vine.

In fact I'd probably also sling out All in a Mouses's night and swap them both with tracks off the Spot the Pigeon Ep - including the excellent Inside and Out (IMHO)

Instant Dharma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.