Nick Drake

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fishoutofwater, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

.....and his ex, Jennifer Somebodyorother, like ND too.

Broadcast on 20th June 1998, BBC Radio 2. Presented by bass player Danny Thompson.

stepeanut likes this.
  2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I searched in hope he might have done an entire cover of Nick Drake songs. I found one a few years ago (forgetting the artists name that was in an old English style of music). It was more a curiosity than interesting. While I am thinking about it does anyone know of a single artist who has an album that covers Nick's music?

3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Grazyna Auguscik--a wonderful acoustic jazzy FULL album of Nick's songs. Quite wonderful and I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't listen to it often.

(There are very few artists that can understand and cover Nick well enough to draw me to their readings. This is one.)

[​IMG]

Grazyna Auguscik jazzes music of Nick Drake

Grazyna Auguscik takes on music of Nick Drake

They Are Leaving Me Behind--covered by Grazyna

1. Fruit Tree
    2. River Man
    3. They Are Leaving Me Behind
    4. Things Behind the Sun
    5. Time Has Told Me
    6. From the Morning
    7. Road
    8. Harvest Breed
    9. One of These Things First
    10. Northern Sky

Man Behind The Sun -- Many of you are also likely to be fans of Nick Drake, on the lookout for any information about your idol. Know that you're about to discover a remarkable singer, who will allow you a glimpse into the world where your favorite lyrics have been given a new lease on life. You can safely put this album next to Nick's three albums it's just as good, even more interesting, perhaps, as far as I'm concerned. In a way, I envy you more than Grazyna's fans - not only will the album you're holding in your hand prove to be extraordinary but, I'm positive that you'll soon be reaching for other records by Grazyna as well. Grazyna and her band ideas for Nick Drake's compositions are extraordinary. The fact that there have been very few attempts to take on his works over the last forty years is a testimony to how complex the material is. Highly intimate on both the musical and lyrical levels, his songs are also very much bound to a specific time and place and as such, despite exploring universally understood, timeless concepts, might be difficult to interpret by a different performer. Musically, they pose a challenge. The songs cannot simply be sung without being dissected, understood and reinterpreted, so that they respond to who is singing them, even if that means altering the original emotions. So much so that I keep wondering if the songs on "Man Behind The Sun" aren't better than the original. What's certain is that they are equally personal and overflowing with contagious emotions. The album delivers a true musical feat, which is a rare achievement in this ever-changing reality. "Man Behind The Sun" is highly addictive, so consider yourselves warned... © Rafal Garszczynski Journalist, RadioJAZZ.FM. --amazon

xilef regnu and Lilainjil like this.
  4. Mojo put out a decent compilation of Nick Drake covers called Green Leaves.

5. lemonade kid

This? Definitely a good one, and a really fine feature of several articles on Nick and his music.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. oldbsturgeon

oldbsturgeon RlrrLrll

I just got the A Treasury SACD in today. It definitely sounds pretty fantastic, probably the best I have ever heard the tracks. Just wish it were all 3 albums instead.

7. MBT68

MBT68 I remember dates, names, numbers...

Just got into some Nick Drake in the last year. Really great soulful musIc. Have the 180g repress of Five Leaves Left and Bryter Layter digitally. Really enjoy both.. perfect music to chill to.

On the hunt to find some original vinyl UK pressings!

lemonade kid likes this.
  8. lemonade kid

Wow! Good luck...pretty pricey aren't they?

9. MBT68

MBT68 I remember dates, names, numbers...

Yes from what I see they get a bit crazy.. gotta have goals I guess!

10. lemonade kid

That is a worthwhile goal! Do it!

11. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I've been aware of Nick Drake for quite awhile but only recently heard him via the Way To Blue compilation. I really like the first track and a couple of others are ok but overall I was underwhelmed.

12. lemonade kid

I would start with his actual three releases. Way To Blue is a comp, and not a complete statement, track for track, as Nick intended.

Give him time, if you are so inclined. Nick has that understated charm that can be underwhelming for those expecting to be hit in the head with his genius. Nick is an artist that is more of a subtle tug at the heartstrings...he created music for the soul, and intimate settings: not a top-down ride down the coastal highway.

Sit down in the dusk of evening, with a good friend, or even better by yourself at first...and take in every note and every word. Hope you get there like we have.

the..."Place To Be"

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Shaddam IV and Wally Swift like this.
  13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

This description brings to mind Vashti Bunyan, who I also just recently heard for the first time. But I found myself wanting more right from the start. I think I relate to this sort of approach better when it's a female.

14. lemonade kid

Love Vashti also...wonderful stuff.

Wally Swift likes this.
  15. lemonade kid

Some of the best covers by Scott Appel

Road

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Shaddam IV likes this.
  16. lemonade kid

One more for the Nick Drake fans. Scott Appel is a guitarist who was given rare access (granted by Rodney and Molly Drake - Nick's parents) in the mid-1980's to some of Nick Drake's unreleased "bedroom" recordings. One of the tunes was "Bird Flew By," a tune that would have blended nicely onto the FIVE LEAVES LEFT album. Appel recorded the tune for his NINE OF SWORDS album from 1988, released at a time when precious few knew who Nick Drake was. This is a good one.
    --from Shazam, youtube post

Enjoy!

17. lemonade kid

Hazey Jane, Scott Appel

Shaddam IV likes this.
  18. lemonade kid

The original song can be found as a one-minute instrumental on "Family Tree" called "Sketch 1". A longer version of this song can be found on several Nick Drake bootlegs. Here's a mini-bio of Scott Appel : "Spellbound years ago by the haunting images found in the music of English folksinger Nick Drake, Scott Appel began a correspondence with the late artist's parents, Rodney and Molly Drake. Their faith in Appel's discreetness and their awareness of his empathy with Drake's music paid off handsomely for the New Jersey-based guitarist, as he was one of the few musicians given access to Drake's mythical and fiercely protected private recordings." In 1989 Appel released Nine of Swords on the Kicking Mule labelas KM-343, which included six Nick Drake covers (including Far Leys) and also some Drake-influenced pieces. It was reissued in 1995 by Schoolkids Records.
    --youtube thread

19. lemonade kid

20. lemonade kid

21. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Nick was a bit of a late bloomer in my area. I learned of Nick from a friend of mine in 1973. We didn't have any Nick Drake in the store and I ordered some of the Island compilation self titled LP. I played the hell out of it but found only a few takers. Thank God that VW commercial gave rise (in my opinion to Nick's resurgence or growth in the early 90's.

22. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Wasnt it in the 00's?

23. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

By the time Drake died had he recorded every song he ever wrote to tape, or were there songs left unrecorded?

24. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Yeah that's good.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  25. lemonade kid

See Scott Appel who was granted access to Drake's material by the Drake family...and recorded some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.