Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Schubert D959 was in my heavy rotation this week (Kempff and R. Serkin). I got one of my very close friends hooked on both classical and hifi :) I convinced him to buy the Sennheiser HD6XX from Massdrop.

[​IMG]

Mowgli, crispi, Marzz and 2 others like this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

The D959 is a superb work! I only wish Richter had recorded it.

3. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Hi drh, perhaps I missed it but you didn't get an answer to this?
    I don't have that Tartini box that coop posted but I believe the piece you're looking for is the Violin Concerto in E minor, D.53.
    It's up on Spotify to sample and I think well played by Guglielmo, not that there's a lot of competition! Plus I prefer the original Violin Concerto over the later Trumpet arrangement.

This single CD has the same recording included in the 29 cd set,

https://www.amazon.com/Tartini-Violin-Concertos-Vol-16-Giuseppe/dp/B0046W6430

or if you download, it's about 3 bucks for the piece or $12 for the entire set!
    Good value but be warned that these files are labelled by movement only!! Scroll down to Disc 26, Track 15, simply labelled as Allegro. That's the E minor, D.53.

Tartini: Violin Concertos Box Se... | Federico Guglielmo | MP3 Downloads | 7digital United States

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    scompton likes this.
  4. George P

Your post reminded me that I had planned to do a shootout using some of my recordings of this great work. I compared Serkin, Schnabel, Lupu and Brendel (live.) Serkin won! Brendel (live) came in second. I imprinted on that one.

My prior favorite, a live performance by Sokolov given to me by a friend, has gone missing! :mad:

5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Yes agreed with wishing Richter recorded it, I dearly love this piece as well. I have been enjoying Rudolf Serkin's very much but still prefer Kempff.

I imagine Sokolov is excellent with Schubert, I will have to pick up some of his CDs where he recorded other Schubert. He remains the prominent classical musician that I want to see live.

6. George P

I forgot about Kempff. I'll check him out tomorrow.

7. drh

drh Talking Machine

Many, many thanks! No, yours is the first response my post elicited, and I'm much obliged. I'll do some exploration, or even some expenditure, in short order.

[Edit] Couldn't help myself, just took a listen to the samples you pointed out. Yes! That's it! Again, thank you for clearing up a long-running mystery. Interesting, too, that Tartini joins Schubert in having "D" numbers. I'll need to read up on that when it isn't the wee hours of the morning, long past my bedtime.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Marzz likes this.
  8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I did like it more than Brendel's early Philips recording (I decided not to keep the big Brendel Philips box, as good as that price was I just won't play it much, so I won't be hearing his live performance) and it has been a very long time since I have heard Lupu play it but I will listen to it again tonight. Rudolf Serkin's was exceptional. I feel like Kempff really nailed it but YMMV as this was my first CD for this sonata, hard to shake that first love feeling :love:

9. George P

I'll give it a full listen later today, but I sampled Kempff's last night, playing the first minute or so of each movement. I think he does well with all but the third movement which to me sounds a bit slow and loses its playfulness.

And I think you were wise to not keep the Brendel set.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Again, a dissenting opinion: I'm very glad I got the big Brendel box; no way I'm going to sell it, it has lots of recordings I keep returning to - varying mileages and all that. Whether it's wise or not to get rid of it is not for me to say.

11. George P

My pleasure!

12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Yeah I can see that, I think it does pick up when the tone of the piece shifts in the third movement. For me what I really love about D959 is the second movement; that is the type of movement where I could really see Richter or Sokolov digging deep. Would love to hear that live Sokolov if you do come across it!

George P likes this.
  13. George P

I'm still digging for it, but I fear it is lost! :(

[​IMG]

Indeed, Kempff's second movement in D959 is wonderful. A nice gentle stillness at the start. Still, that wild and crazy section that follows could certainly be more wild and crazy. And the first movement is nice as well, though the sound is hard and top heavy. As I mentioned above, I find the third movement slow. But like you said, it does pick up when the mood shifts. And the finale is wonderfully played too.

So all in all, not perfect, but for a warm, "human" interpretation, this one more than fits the bill.

Marzz likes this.
  14. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

You're very welcome :thumbsup:
    Regarding the "D" numbers all I do know is that they refer to Minos Dounias, the scholar who grouped Tartini's Concertos into early, middle and late periods by style or at least what he considered a stylistic "evolution". The Concertos were never dated of course. I think only 12 or so of the Concertos were actually published in Tartini's lifetime. I remember our local Library had some interesting books regarding Dounias/Tartini (well, when they actually had books ;)). I've been on the net this morning trying to jog my memory but no luck so far. Anyway, perhaps you already know this, but just in case.

I'd be very interested in what you come up with, especially any other recordings you like/recommend.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    George P likes this.
  15. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Concerto Italiano, Tebaldi, Quilico, Barbini, CBC Festival Orchestra

A curio really, this video presentation of a 1965 Canadian TV program is highlighted by a commanding Renata Tebaldi in the final act of Puccini's Tosca. Her voice is at its powerful best and her intetpretation is refreshingly simple and direct, conveying a kind of classic beauty. Treat!

George P likes this.
  16. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Forgot to mention this is an Aubort & Nickrenz effort.

17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD8 - No. 5, No. 21 "Waldstein", No. 4 "Grand Sonata" from the following box for a second listen in almost a decade ...

[​IMG]

Marzz and George P like this.
  18. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Strange enough I do not own a single recording of her.

19. George P

The set Stuart posted is as good as it gets for Beethoven sonatas sets.

Marzz likes this.
  20. coopmv

I just ripped that Annie Fischer's CD to FLAC files using the Windows WMA player on my Windows 10 desktop. Apparently, MS has upgraded the WMA player to support a few lossless formats. While I have the EAC app downloaded, I have yet to use it.

21. Rose River Bear

Thanks.
    I will try a single CD of her's. I have too many Beethoven sonata CDs as it is!

22. coopmv

Strongly :agree:. I think I have some 15 sets and I am done ...

23. George P

I hear ya! I suggest volume 6 of the Hungerton Beethoven sonatas by Annie Fischer.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  24. Rose River Bear

You own 15 complete LVB sonata sets? Wow. I own two. :o

25. George P

Marzz likes this.