Bob Dylan - Euro Tour 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nick Fuller, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

The setlist has been "stable" for about 4 years now. I hope this change is permanent.

2. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Really? Uncontroversial? Playing Sinatra songs for the last 4 years is giving people what they want? Certainly not what I want!

3. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Bob seems to have settled on 3 standards a night. Interesting to see if this Set remains throughout the year.

4. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

Bob did not do one single « bad » show in the last 5 years.

5. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Shocking ;-)

Tim

MRamble and fmfxray373 like this.
  6. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

2nd night in Rome was a cracker...

7. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident

8. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

You must be joking
    You obviously did not go to the Liverpool concert last year

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

In fact, many would say he has done a whole lot of "bad" shows, and not just one single one, in the last 5 years. :hide:

10. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

See you there ! I'm going too.

11. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I think Bob has been playing songs differently just a little over a half-century now.....

onlyconnect likes this.
  12. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Out of interest, what were your expectations about how he’d perform before you went?

I quite like the current Dylan sound, but also liked seeing The Beach Boys, who do their best to stick to the studio recordings as closely as possible.

But I guess if you turned up to a Dylan gig with the expectation of faithful renditions of his stuff, you’ve a right to feel disappointed.

Siegmund likes this.
  13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Sorry to hear this - it's the kind of present I dread getting!

Is your g/f a fan? If she isn't and was there just to keep you company, you should hang onto her! My other half would never sit through a Dylan (or any other type) concert just for my sake! :)

That said, there is plenty of youtube evidence out there of what to expect from a 2018 Dylan performance and he hasn't been a reliable live performer for may, many years ( some people will maintain he never was; some people will maintain that's one of the things they like most about him!).

I saw him only once, in 1987, and he was terrible. Never again! But at least I was in the same airspace as a legend.....

14. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

I didnt expect him to sound like he did in 1965, in fact his voice was as expected and wasnt too bad
    I expected the whole song to be played and not half the lyrics missing and sound near to the original song, his pace was one of trying to get the song over and done with quick, it was like he could not be arsed with the show, just not worth the price to see him
    I will forgive him if he comes to my house and does an acoustic set in my living room :D

15. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

My GF is not a dylan fan but liked some of the show, i felt bad she had forked out £150 for 2 tickets so i kept my disapointment to myself
    The worst let down concert ever, the busker outside was better
    I went to see the flaming lips with her last year in Manchester and they were great (she is a fan im not), she has been to a few concerts with me to see bands that i like and she doesnt
    she even come to see the jesus and mary chain with me in Manchester last year, she,s a goodun

16. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

17. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

Thank you! I just had the pleasure to hear this show on youtube and was pleased to hear just the contrary of what you heard: a great BD, and awsome band, and great renditions of great songs! What is a bad performance for me is a great one to me, and to some others (check the comments of the u-tubers!). Cheers

18. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

The shows may not be bad musically, but I have been unable to listen to any boot of a Dylan show from the last 10 or so years. I cannot listen to his croaking voice. And I'm someone who has him on my all-time list of rock singers.

NYMets41 likes this.
  19. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

You are easily pleased then

20. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

This may not be popular but I’d love to see him, 77 years old, saving his voice for the studio and recording his own material using guitar, banjo, fiddle, ukulele, acoustic bass...a real Americana sound.

I didn’t love the crooning period though I imagine it will grow on me with time.

21. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Yet I LOVE the old voice on “Things We Said Today” and some others.

The studio’s natural rest helps.

The live shows are, for me, almost unlistenable as he seems to be making a caracture of Dylan with the “talk-singing” and almost “up singing” accentuation.

Is he making sport of his audience?

22. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Bob? No way. Never.
    :tiphat:

NYMets41 likes this.
  23. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

I picked up a cheap ticket for this show off of Craigslist moments before the band took the stage. Thought it was great, too. I had seen him multiple times in the past and been disappointed but this one was a highlight. Thought I should end my Dylan live experience on a positive note but then ended up seeing him a year later at Ravina with Mavis Staples. Good show, too.

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Just a beautiful song, and a stand out track on Sinatra’s September of My Years.

25. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Seen a lot of weird things as a Dylan fan, but... This is equal parts sad and awkward. Bob looks definitively doddering.

Scott6 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.