Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm sure we get The Early Years: Creation on vinyl instead. 'Embryo' is on it there, too.
    [Edit:] And the artwork looks much better than Works.^^

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  2. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Good call.

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I read the Syd stuff belongs to both the Barrett family and David Gilmour. The latter also owns most of the Syd tapes (home demos, session tapes and stuff).

dkmonroe likes this.
  4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

No.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  5. NunoBento

Yes, I did meant you :)
    As for "The Wall: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack", it would be much redudant to the album, so I don't know if a release is feasible, specially when they already have "Is There Anybody Out There" in the can. But then again, they may also decide to do a definitive release of "The Wall" film and pair it with the said soundtrack on vinyl. I certainly would get both :)

I don't think there's market for Quad mixes, but how about that legendary mono mix of "Meddle"?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Wow. How the heck did that happen? :laugh:

7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The Wall film soundtrack contains many alternate mixes and versions plus the omitted 'What Shall We Do Now?', so I think that deserves some proper release audio-wise.
    Who knows if there's some The Wall anniversary campaign going on next year.

And lol. If there's a mono Meddle, let's get the mono mixes of More and Atom Heart Mother first. :p

Electric Sydney and NunoBento like this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I mean copyright-wise. If another Syd release is planned, Gilmour should be asked for that, too.
    Well, that's just what I read sometime earlier here on the forum.

dkmonroe likes this.
  9. NunoBento

Maybe. But the the thing is that everything related to "The Early Years" have their own dedicated catalogue numbers, so it doesn't fit the pattern. To be coherent, "The Early Years: Creation" should be PFREYLP8, "The Early Years 1965-1967 Cambridge St/ation" should be PFREYLP1 and so on.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  10. NunoBento

If they exist, bring them on :)

andrewskyDE likes this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Or maybe the tracklist will be changed to fit on two LPs, omitting the songs that are available on Relics already and having a non related catalogue number. But yeah I'm thinking too much.^^

12. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Shouldn’t the Pink Floyd The Wall soundtrack include “When The Tigers Broke Free”?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Right. There are even two versions/mixes of that one. Maybe a replica of the 7'' single can be included there as a bonus.

Electric Sydney and superstar19 like this.
  14. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

If those Wall film tracks could have been put put, they would have done so on the Immersion set. I think it's a matter of rights.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  15. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

No way Gilmour controls Barrett solo recordings! He just borrowed (steal actually) some tape reels from EMI archive when he worked on that stuff in 1970 and doesn't bother to return it. Now it's "his stuff" but stricly speaking EMI (or someone who controls now tape vaults after EMI demise) can claim tapes back. That's why Bob Dylan Blues not came out on Crazy Diamond box set, compilers didn't have access to that reel (there's also completely unheard Living Alone demo from the same sessions and several alternate versions of released songs).

16. hallucalation

I know that but in case of Barrett, it's his family gets all royalties and approve anything that came out with his name officially. Rosemary despised Floyd even during the 60's and have no interest at all in his brother music yet she's very happy to get all royalties now.

17. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Coincidentally, I was re-reading a Mojo 2001 interview with Gilmour today, talking about Syd (I have it enclosed in my Crazy Diamond box, that I played today). Here's a relevant extract:

Mojo: "So you had the master for Bob Dylan Blues (...) at home after all."
    Gilmour: "So it would appear. Those sessions were done so quickly. We were rushing off to gigs every day and we had to fit the recording sessions in-between. I probably just took it away to have a listen and simply forgot to take it back. Obviously it wasn't intended to be a final mix: Syd knocked it off, I took the tape home."
    Mojo: "What do you think of the song?"
    Gilmour: "It's a bit of fun. He was quite a Dylan fan, though there was a bit of jealousy there, too. If it was a tribute, then it was a mocking one!"
    Mojo: "Do you recall whether Bob Dylan Blues was one of Syds pre-Pink Floyd songs, like Effervescing Elephant and Golden Hair?"
    Gilmour: "I think it was, yes. It was certainly written before The Pink Floyd recorded The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. I don't remember why we didn't put it on the album at the time. I don't think it fitted in."

The question remains why, out of the four tracks on the Gilmour tape, only Bob Dylan Blues was released. You would think at least the otherwise unreleased Living Alone could also have been put on that comp...

Luke The Drifter and asdf35 like this.
  18. I’m sure none of us have heard all of their talk :tiphat:

19. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I believe I recall they had plans to put 3 tracks from the tape onto the CD, but instead of the tape they expected to get from Gimour, he sent a DAT with just Bob Dylan Blues. So he not only didn't return the stolen tape but is also controlling the content that gets released from it.

Chris M and hallucalation like this.
  20. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

That I didn't know. Thanks Mr Gilmour.

rnranimal likes this.
  21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

The BBC compilation is something that I brought up and pitched to the band's management. Gave them the contact info for the guy who has the 1967 BBC master tapes, offered upgrades for 1968 and gave them a high resolution stereo copy of the 1971 broadcast (which they thought was fake stereo). Just a couple of weeks ago they said flat out that they're just not interested. So yeah, the BBC compilation looks like a big NO. Which is perfectly fine because the fans will get most of the upgrades for free anyway.

22. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Thanks for the update. Where Stones, Queen and Beatles offer nice BBC collections, Floyd tuck them away on an expensive box set, in the wrong order and in terrible ('67) quality. Not fair.

rontoon, Jgirar01 and andrewskyDE like this.
  23. You still "don't know" as what was presented in that post is hardly an established fact -sounds more like a rumor to me.

24. hallucalation

Not a rumour at all. It was confirmed by someone who was in production for Syd 2001 CD.

Not to mention that Bob Dylan's Blues sounds like bad copy tape.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    rontoon and rnranimal like this.
  25. Please forgive my skepticism, but recollections of statements from "someone who was in production for Syd" is hardly the stuff of a strong confirmation. And the sonics of Bob Dylan Blues seems to have no bearing on what Gilmour did, or did not share upon request. The tape was a demo only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.