Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

I’m in the same boat. Eagerly awaiting the DPD tracking number. Good luck.

2. Curious if Oppo was aware how many of us - myself included - had been putting off the purchase of the 205s (due in part to its cost)?

spillred, MikeJedi, apesfan and 2 others like this.
  3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

How would they quantify such number?

robtodd likes this.
  4. Tom34772

Tom34772 Forum Resident

But, but, but it's well reviewed here on the forums.

And I don't have a copy of Hotel California in my collection.

And the DCC is too much money.

Oh crap, you're right -- I might have a problem. :uhhuh:

Bananas&blow and Kristofa like this.
  5. It would certainly be problematic! I can only go by what's in this thread but if it's extrapolated outward, I'm guessing it's a notable percentage. I'm just wondering if they had a rough idea that a probably-not-insignificant percentage of buyers were holding out, trying to budget for it.

6. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

I think the most problematic part is that if you took the entire population of "those who kept seriously thinking of buying a 205 but never pulled the trigger," you'd find that 98% never would and never will. We do a lot of "seriously thinking about getting stuff" in this pursuit.

7. People always put things off until something is discontinued or closing. Then they lament about how some restaurant or store in their city is closing after 50 years even though they hadn’t visited it in twenty. :tiphat:

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Considering the UDP-205 has been available for a year, I'm not sure it's a significant amount of people that were still waiting - due to finances. But, your guess would be as good as mine (or OPPO's?).

Shawn likes this.
  9. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

How would any company know such a thing?
    I suppose customer insight and surveys help.
    In the U.K. the cost for Oppo products is higher than the US. I certainly have been reticent to buy the UDP 205 because of the cost but my intention has been to do so once I had the funds but Oppo would never have known that unless their psychic division was on the case!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    scobb likes this.
  10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Just ordered a 203. I didn't want to be caught on the outside looking in.

MikeJedi likes this.
  11. moggi1964

moggi1964 Well-Known Member

Wow! Big surprise.

When I had a problem with my 83 they sent me a new one without any delay.

My 103 has been perfect and when I was having an issue with the all region chip interfering with the cd tray they overlooked that it wasn't an original part and explained what to do with the add-on to get it to work.

The 205 looks amazing but sadly I don't use the player I have very much so wouldn't have been considering it anyway.

Thanks for the great products Oppo!

chacha likes this.
  12. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Got my tracking number. Due Tuesday. Get in!

13. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I am in the boat of always wanting to get the 205 and never did up until now. I was actually planning on getting one sometime this year. But my current player is the very outdated BDP-93 model. I bought it in early 2010 and it is still going strong. So I had a lot to gain by finally biting the bullet and getting the higher end 205.

My second 205 on order is now on hold. Apparently the Magnolia regional manager is approving all orders on the 205 starting today due to crazy number of orders. So this second one may not happen for me! Glad I found one over the weekend.

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Burningfool, Shawn, MikeT and 3 others like this.
  15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Nice. The wording on the website now seems "definitive" that more will be made and available around June. Earlier this weekend, and even early this morning the wording was more tentative, as if they were possibly going to do another run but it wasn't definite.

Well the minute the 205 is available again via Oppo I will be placing an order post-haste.

Shvartze Shabbos and Tullman like this.
  16. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

My $2800 for two 205's came from my bank account. Not all of us live paycheck to paycheck, audio upgrade to audio upgrade. lol
    That being said, I may sell a couple LEGO sets to replenish the funds and also make space for the extra 205 box. Storage space is limited in our household :)

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  17. Why do folks need more than one. ?

Metralla and chacha like this.
  18. Ha. Perfect :tiphat:
    That extra $4 per paycheck is apparently working.

19. MikeT

Personally, I have the funds, but also have a working Oppo 83SE, which I mentioned earlier in this thread I had to send back to Oppo to have the laser replaced for a flat fee of $75.00. Lately the drive in the unit acts up after playing a Blu-ray movie - you hear it stutter and instead of going back to the menu it just stops, where if you start the disc up again it will go back to the disc menu.

I was very interested in the 205 for months now, since the 83SE started acting up, but figured I could wait until I was on vacation later this year (I get 5 weeks vacation, my wife only gets 2 - so I spend some of my vacation time at home listening to music). I am very interested in the 205 headphone amp, as I understand it is fairly high quality for something like that in a stand alone player.

Shvartze Shabbos and Bill Mac like this.
  20. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Oppo should make the last batch of 205 in silver.

Burningfool, Billy Budapest and scobb like this.
  21. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

There is something about opening up a brand new audio component years after it was sold. I did that recently when I found a new in-box cd player from my childhood (in this case a Magnavox CDB-502) I spent countless hours and years using that cd player and gave it away decades ago. I missed it and saw that one was listen on eBay as new/old stock. I bought it for less than it costs new back then and opened it up. Man it brought me back to what I loved about cd players when they loaded a disc in 1 second and could play as fast as you could hit the button. Having it brand new again to appreciate for more years until it dies was worth it. I may feel that way about the Oppo 205... 10 years from now while still trying to find a high end blu/sacd player for my vast library of movies and albums.

Mazzy likes this.
  22. MikeT

Since so many people seem to still be able to order 205s through Magnolia, where I wasn't on Saturday, I just called my local Magnolia Design Center - and today I got a slightly different answer than I got Saturday. I still wasn't able to place an order, but I was told that they have 303 orders chain-wide (all states) for 205s, yet across all Magnolia Warehouses they only have 143 units available - obviously if you do the math, not every order will be filled. It was confirmed today by the Magnolia salesperson that those 143 units were being shipped to stores to satisfy orders already placed by customers.

23. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I for sure was waiting to buy a 205. I figured that I would wait until we got a UHD TV (probably after we moved in about two years assuming we both make it another two years :sigh: ). But I am not sure any player will step into the vacuum left by the absence of Oppo so I jumped on it as soon as I heard the announcement.

24. mongo

mongo Senior Member

For the same reason I have 2 Oppos now. I have a 2-channel living room system & a dedicated home theater\MCH music room.

I had planned on buying a 205 in the near future when the everlasting reno is complete but not be privy to Oppo's business plan, didn't see the need to have another box of packed up gear laying around.
    I think there a lot of folks, obviously, who were planning on buying one but the time wasn't right for them yet regardless of the cost.

Kristofa and Mazzy like this.
  25. Yup there’s something about it :tiphat: