Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This sounds reasonable, but I suspect it’s way beyond their technical capabilities, given their track record. :shh:

2. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Believe me, the thought continually crossed my mind as I typed it out. Good ol' dead.net

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Hate to be a burster of bubbles or balloons, but I am not a fan of the artwork (doofus skeletons are still doofus skeletons when they are far away, and the rest of it doesn't float my boat), but I'm not that easy to please in the GD artwork department... Anyway, I'm excited to check out the music, as I've never heard these shows before.

zongo, Ray29, wavethatflag and 5 others like this.
  4. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It is for Dave's 24. :hide:

There's '71 and then there's '71. The January to April performances might not go out there as much as one would like but there is some great stuff, as usual.

Then there's the Summer when they really nail the tight "bar band" thing, with some very energetic jamming and, let us not forget, the Yale Bowl Dark Star which I adore.

Then there's the Keith period without Pigpen, from October through November, which is very floaty and, unsurprisingly, piano-y.

Then there's Pigpen's return through to the 2 January '72 show.

Perhaps the variations within the first two thirds of the year aren't that great but, as with most of the pre-retirement years, there are multiple renditions of the Dead within the calendar year, each with its own strong points and weak points.

Dave really seems like to like late '71.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It just won't die, will it?

Dahabenzapple and ianuaditis like this.
  6. Six Bachelors

Sorry.

Archtop and ianuaditis like this.
  7. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

That's how they get you. :D
    They are going for ~$50, which is 66% markup over list. Even more if you subscribe, which comes out to less than $30 per. (I know, it's only $20. This can be a sore subject and I will endeavor not to bend everyone's er... eyes about it yet again.)
    OK, I can't help myself.

Stupid too how much money they are letting go into the pockets of scalpers instead of 'maintaining the archive' which is supposed to be the purpose of Dave's Picks.

That's probably why there are so many copies of the 78 box left; People had to pay the scalpers premium for sold-out Dave's Picks instead of picking that up. (Mostly that's a joke, but I don't understand how they don't see every dollar spent on Grateful Dead music that doesn't go to them as an opportunity cost.)
    I definitely hear that, which is a shame, as in their heyday the band used to be (as @scribbs points out,) pioneers in creating and executing alternative distribution models for their music and concerts, and limiting the ability of exploitative middlemen to make a buck off them and their fans.

I feel a bit less strident about it this year as they did produce more copies, and it seems the recent editions are not exactly burning up ebay. I'm also all but certain the (continuing and increased) demand for these releases is the opposite of what they expected. Nonetheless, I still can't escape the conviction they could have come up with some way to sell each DaP directly to everyone who wanted one while still addressing their need to not have 4000 copies sitting around.

Or just hurry up with the vault download program already, Phil was talking about that back in 1994!

8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Was listening to it today. Still like it. Teto. Ymmv oc.

Six Bachelors and ianuaditis like this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That's a pretty good breakdown of the year, which is one that I personally like a lot. Dave obviously likes late '71, but I think a big driver is that the Vault recently received a lot of uncirculated soundboards from late '71. Dick's and Dave's decisions rightfully have often been partially influenced with what has been circulating and what has NOT, with the latter always being very welcome in my book, as well as hopefully (and usually) definitive versions of some of the former.

10. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Uncirculated is always welcome in my book and I think the release schedule is being dictated almost by what has recently returned to the Vault.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  11. Six Bachelors

Sometimes it seems to me as though David L is, almost literally, just reaching into a box labelled “returned Betty boards” and giving the first one he finds to Jeffrey Norman but you’re right - there does appear to be an emphasis on uncirculated, or less circulated, stuff with the occasional big show thrown in.

I am very happy with anything from ‘71. I really enjoyed Dave’s...hmmm. What was it? Volume 22? The Felt Forum one. I liked that one and am happy for anything around that time. I think they were on an amazing upward trajectory from July ‘71 to May ‘72, with a little lull in July and early- to mid-August ‘72, after which they went right on treading unthinkable new ground right up to, at least, June ‘74.

12. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

In the Dead's eyes, every copy is getting sold. Beyond that I don't see why they should reconstruct their business model to appease some people who didn't want to subscribe early. The scalpers aren't the problem, it's the people who pay their prices (who may end up being yet another scalper but who can tell).

The cold truth is these editions wouldn't sell out if people weren't buying multiple copies. That's the real reason July 1978 is still around, not even the scalpers thought it would be a good investment. If they had printed half the copies, then demand would have shot up. Ironic yes, but its the reality of marketing.

ronbow, Ezzie, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  13. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

18th February is probably my favourite ‘71 show, I’ve got a lovely matrix somewhere on a hard drive

14. Archtop

No worries; I've gotten to the point where mere mention of it makes me smile and ponder the past.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  15. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I’m not familiar with 11/17/71 but if it’s anything like 11/15/71 (Road Trips 3.2) this will be a very welcome addition to the series.

16. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I just hoping it’s much better than Dave’s 22 which I my least favorite Dave’s Pick I’ve heard other than the much discussed and rightly maligned Dave’s 24.

US Blues, adamos and Archtop like this.
  17. Archtop

It's incomprehensible to me that DaP 22 didn't include 12/5/71 with a fantastic instrumental Dark Star with an Uncle sandwich. If your argument is that "everyone already has it" I'd agree, but: 1) what I have isn't of very good sound quality; and 2) everyone also has 1/22/78 but they released that.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  18. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

That was definitely a head-scratcher; I could only think/hope they were saving it for a non-Dave's release. It was weird too because they included a newspaper article about the 12/5 radio broadcast in the DaP 22 booklet.

19. Archtop

I can't believe that I typed "you're" instead of "your." Now fixed.

And yes, a non-Dave's release of that (in whole or in part) would be most welcome.

trumpet sounds, adamos and ianuaditis like this.
  20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I know this has been discussed many times before, but...
    No, forget it.

21. A 1971 show is always nice, but hopefully it will be more like Road Trips Vol 3 No. 2 (Austin 11-15-1971) than like Dave's Picks Vol 22 (New York 12-6-1971). Anyway, the setlist is very nice so it's probably gonna be good.

22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Charlie's most recent circulated copy of 5 Dec 1971 is from the Vault tape. The 6th & 7th were recently returned, and you know what that means.

22 Jan 1978 was a must-release, as the circulating sources were far less than optimal.

23. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Have any of the archival vault releases been sourced from anything but the master tapes? Or perhaps an alternate tape which could be bettered by a returned Betty Board? I'm curious if they would ever re-release such a show (not as a DaP but a standalone or with a box).

24. Six Bachelors

Wasn't Dave's 14 (26 March '72) from a DAT copy of the master tape, a Betty Board, which found its way back after Dave's 14 was released?

SBegonias17 and US Blues like this.
  25. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

???

Dick's 16, 8 November 1969, had a million digi-snits manually removed by Jim Wise before it was released. I believe it was sourced from a DAT.

SBegonias17 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.