Elton John tribute concert to air April 10th on CBS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikaelaArsenault, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Thanks for sharing this. The guests listed on that link are Miley Cyrus, Ke$ha, Miranda Lambert, John Legend, Little Big Town, Chris Martin, Sam Smith and Keith Urban. Seems a little short on either peers or artists who show his influence to me. :shrug:

3. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Never got the impression many of his peers really like him or his music. Certainly not recently. It's a bit like the truly awful "bonus" disc on the Goodbye Yellow Brick Rd 40th anniversary set

4. MikaelaArsenault

You’re welcome.

lightbulb and somnar like this.
  5. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Everyone was in town for the Grammy Awards, no joke, and this was put together/taped at that that time.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Similar to Bee Gees tribute then, and some of the same younger artists.

7. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

The demos of "Grey Seal" and the acoustic mix of Candle in the Wind were interesting along with the other EJ tracks collected. But I absolutely hated the inclusion of other artists performing his songs on the same disc. Get that crap on its own tribute album or at the very least put it on a disc of its own for the set.

lightbulb, mrjinks, Maurice and 2 others like this.
  8. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Yes, probably similar to the Beatles and Stevie Wonder tributes, which also had a couple headscratchers (Katy Perry doing "Yesterday"?).

9. MikaelaArsenault

It’s airing tonight at 9 PM ET.

10. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

Why are these things always in America when it comes to Elton? He still has a big following in the UK, so it would be nice for UK version of this using homeland artists?

I thought Revamp was bit of a bore fest - it's lacking atmosphere and creativity.

Andy Smith likes this.
  11. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

Has Elton already left us?
    I don't recall any r.i.p. threads here about him...

12. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

Count yourself lucky... this thing looks like it's going to be cringeworthy ! :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :nyah:

All the most obvious pop tarts and pseudo-country stars ruining all the most obvious Elton John songs...
    while he sits there like the Queen of England and graciously acts like he appreciates it.

If this is supposed to be a tribute, I'll pass.

Dynamic Ranger and mrjinks like this.
  13. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

During the Beatles tribute, I saw Paul more than once looking bored til he realized he was on camera. :)

I agree with @EddieT that Elton doesn't seem particularly liked by his peers. Stories from the '70s make it sound as though he was left out of the club, so to speak, even at his peak. I don't know why.

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The new tribute cds are ghastly. The only exception (and it's a big one) is the track sung by Rosanne Cash and Emmylou Harris. So wonderfully low key and sublime. Since they aren't on the show, this is a pass for me.

15. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

This was one of the few tracks that piqued my interest.

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

It is so wonderful--the pathos of their singing brings the words new life.

17. MikaelaArsenault

18. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

I've wondered about this as well... and there seems to be a distinct point where his peers began to take him less seriously. That would be the sea-change in styles between 'Madman' and 'Honky Chateau' in 1972... when he became less the "serious" singer-songwriter and more of a Top 40 hit machine. This coincided with the semi-feud between EJ and David Bowie over 'Rocket Man' etc. As he became bigger and bigger and his stage persona became arguably more ridiculous, the other rock artists of the day probably wanted to distance themselves... concerned that they be taken less seriously as well.

This is just my theory, of course... he still wrote songs for Ringo and Rod at that time... so he was still in the club. Also, if you read the liner notes for 'Two Rooms' (the proper tribute album), many of his contemporaries like Joe Cocker, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, and The Who do speak of him in friendly terms... referring to him as Reg etc.

19. MikaelaArsenault

lightbulb likes this.
  20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Lineup and that bonus disc a reflection of Furnish managing him?

somnar likes this.
  21. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

OK... I may have to watch to see Chris Martin and Miranda Lambert... those are at least deep tracks... sort of.

Not sure who Maren Morris is... but that looks interesting too.

The rest looks like complete, predictable gar-bage. :hide:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  22. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

never understood his appeal.

23. MikaelaArsenault

Maren Morris - Wikipedia

lightbulb likes this.
  24. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

My own theory is that the artists chosen for the GBYBR tribute bonus disc, as well as those on this tribute show, simply reflect Elton's own personal tastes. He's often shown himself to have an eclectic taste in and awareness of pop music (for example, his love for Mary J. Blige, Pet Shop Boys, Eminem and James Blake) and he's always been a bit diva-esque. It's not to my taste at all but maybe these sorts of "Night of a Thousand Stars"-type tributes are exactly what he likes and wants. He's certainly wealthy enough to not have to sit through anything he doesn't want to.

25. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

There's a short clip of EJ doing a duet with Joe Cocker from French TV floating around with Elton playing and Joe singing. Didn't appear very friendly between them though. Is it possible that his rehab was reliant on some shift in who he considered friends, close friends, hangers on, bad memories not to be gone near etc? I know nothing about that side of things, so could be bowling a big no-ball with that...

MikaelaArsenault and Whizz Kid like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.