Chappaquidick anyone?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lightworker, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone here catch Chappaquidick yet? Previews made it look more
    like a low-key modern horror film than a fact-based political drama.
    Maybe that was intentional? It was and still remains a pretty horrible
    chapter in 20th Century American history.

bldg blok likes this.
  2. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I have no interest in watching this film. It's just not the kind of "event" that justifies a 2-hour movie, in my opinion.

Lightworker likes this.
  3. Lightworker

I've read six books about the subject. I could easily squeeze a mini-series out of it if I were a working screenwriter.
    One of the great tragedies in a long line of tragedies in the history of American politics. I still remember it even with
    the moon landing looming as a mega-distraction.

905, ZippyPippy, Coricama and 5 others like this.
  4. I might check it out. I understand from one review though that it tries so hard to relate the events in a neutral way that it gets a bit dull.

Dave S, Rufus McDufus and Lightworker like this.
  5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

There should have been a movie in the 70s based on the Olsen book, but I just can't figure out how that never materialized.

eflatminor and Lightworker like this.
  6. Lightworker

The cat who plays Teddy here played a 'real-life' 1930s Virginia bootlegger named Howard Bondurant in the film Lawless (2011).
    That's a movie that I didn't find dull at all so I'll probably give this one a chance at the cheapie cineplex.

7. Lightworker

One wonders...

Andrew and jh901 like this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Bruce Dern gets a nice paycheck (hopefully) for sitting in a wheelchair and grimacing.
    He deserved it.

mrjinks and Lightworker like this.
  9. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i will probably Redbox it.

Grant likes this.
  10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Because I haven't been paying attention, how much of this is really about whether there's any there there, and how much is it about the biology of a driver making poor gastric choices before driving on a dark road surrounded by water? Because if it's the latter, I probably saw this already in Junior Hi Home Room...

Steve Litos likes this.
  11. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I sit in a wheelchair and grimace every day! Where are my millions? ;)

12. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Wiki says that poor girl might've lived for a couple hours due to an air pocket in the upside down car.

Think about that. Chilling.

arley and Borgia like this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

They showed this trailer before Isle of Dogs. Two young twenties behind whispered 'wtf'. Wife whispered to me 'am I supposed to care about this in 2018?'

carrick doone and Jazzmonkie like this.
  14. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

Very few recent Hollywood movies interest me anymore, but this is one I might check out.

spanky1 and Lightworker like this.
  15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I think it ran for 1 hour 40 minutes. I saw it over the weekend and enjoyed it. I had completely forgotten that this incident occurred at the same time Apollo 11 was landing on the moon, so the moon took preference in the media.
    The film was good for portraying the turmoil that Ted Kennedy had trying to live up to the Kennedy standards, especially patriarch Joe.

Some of the filming was done on Martha's Vineyard:
    Chappaquiddick Film Takes New Look at Well-Known Story

16. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

The film trailer I saw at the movies recently made it seem like this would be action-packed drama (whether factual or imagined). A buddy of mine went yesterday, and said it was really slow-moving, almost sleepy, for large parts of the film. My interest in going to see it has declined as a result, I am inclined to trust his judgment.

Lightworker likes this.
  17. Lightworker

The "action-packed" movie that should be made would be an 'RFK assassination' film.
    That's a story that has been totally reduced to a historical footnote these days. If Oliver
    Stone did it... well, at least we'd see both shooters represented.

18. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

i'm probably going to see it. my initial reaction was that it doesn't sound like there's enough for a movie there, but the reviews are good. just got "jackie" and "lbj" from the library, haven't watched them yet.

19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

My parents went to see this recently and thought it was boring. They already knew the whole story about The Kennedys to begin with and my mother wanted to see the movie with that guy from The Office instead.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    lightbulb likes this.
  20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Why not? They make a movie about everything else.

Comet01 and Lightworker like this.
  21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

The first thing to come in mind when I heard of this film was this classic bit from National Lampoon.

[​IMG]

22. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

The "ad" was a visually spot-on replica of VW’s ad produced by Doyle Dane Bernbach, claiming the Beetle was so well sealed it could float. The Lampoon had to recall the magazine and issue an apology. The issued this retraction: “Even if Ted Kennedy had driven a Volkswagen he wouldn’t be president today.

23. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

As a reader of the National Lampoon as a kid, this probably went over my head...
    Do you know what the “theme” of the issue that this appeared in...?
    (Or better yet, what was on the cover...? I’d recognize that...)

During the classic years of The National Lampoon, it seemed everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - was fair game for spoofing, without any mercy or any decorum, so I’m surprised to hear of a recall of an issue.

(The mag was Hilarious, though.)

Lightworker likes this.
  24. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

It was originally published in The National Lampoon Encyclopedia of Humor.

Lightworker and lightbulb like this.
  25. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

The parody ad was written by Anne Beatts. If you bought a copy of this issue, you might have found the ad missing. As a result of a lawsuit by VW over the ad for unauthorized use of their trademark, NatLamp was forced to remove the page (with razor blades!) from any copies they still had in inventory and all subsequent reprints. For what its worth, Ted Kennedy didn't sue.

Lightworker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.