Who's attending the 2018 Axpona Show audio expo in (suburban)* Chicago?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Shawn, Apr 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawn

Shawn Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone attending AXPONA this year (2018) at its new Schaumburg, IL location? I'll be there one of the days, but not sure which.

avanti1960 likes this.
  2. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Yep...driving up from St. Louis with 5 other cats...it will be a blast!

mike catucci, Manimal and avanti1960 like this.
  3. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Since it's under 20 miles from my house I feel obligated to go..........

4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i'm about 15 min away and will be attending on friday. will be my 4th year in a row and looking forward to the FREE PARKING ! yes! last year the hotel in rosemont filled up their parking before it even opened.

Slippers-on and -=Rudy=- like this.
  5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I'm rolling into Schaumburg on Thursday and leaving late Sunday. It's usually a great weekend visiting my Chicago pals, as well as some of our local audio club members who make the trip, and a handful of vendors I am acquainted with. The Renaissance Schaumburg is a lot larger/nicer venue for the show--they had to turn away exhibitors for the 2017 show since they ran out of space. There are more exhibitor rooms, larger ballrooms, and in addition to seminars they are now also hosting what they call Master Classes where various types of products are demonstrated. The marketplace is also much larger. Bring only small bills. :D

The AXPONA site has a nice cross-referenced list of exhibitors and manufacturers. If you click a room number, you can see the brands featured in that room.

Here is a grid of scheduled events, showing the seminars, master classes and live music events after hours.

There are also a handful of notable demos going on in these rooms:

If anyone is on the fence about going, even from out of town, there are still plenty of rooms available within a 1.5 mile radius of the convention center. And, plenty of great places to eat in the immediate area if you're adverse to "show food." ;)

Dan Steele and avanti1960 like this.
  6. avanti1960

Line Magnetic amps!, I've been waiting to hear these things.

bajaed and -=Rudy=- like this.
  7. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Probably Friday.

8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I am with a few buddies. Saturday. Hopefully I'll catch a few of you there and maybe have a conversation or two!

9. Shawn

I bought a single day ticket and was surprised that I didn't have to select a specific day; it's valid for any one of the three days. I'll most-likely be going on Saturday.

recstar24 likes this.
  10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Just saw on twitter technics will have a SP10 and 1000R demo! Super excited to check it out.

Shawn likes this.
  11. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Would love some reports.

12. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Y’all will be in the funvee:)

Slippers-on likes this.
  13. -=Rudy=-

I'll probably share a few things along the way, likely later at night or the day after the show (Monday). A few highlights I'll have on Instagram at @rekkidcollector as the day progresses.

14. -=Rudy=-

Oh yeah, that was a mess. I got there 9am last year on Friday, but I think I parked in the parking garage across the street for Saturday. I went back at night on Saturday...garage again, as I wasn't paying $10! The parking this year is a plus, and my hotel is across the freeway so I could walk over if I wanted to. There are hotels for all budgets around the show this year, which is also an improvement. I had to stay several miles away in the past.

15. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I keep getting invites, but I will likely not attend. It's a long drive.

timind likes this.
  16. avanti1960

I jumped the blocked line and found a "remote" spot in the lot - paid $20.

17. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I'll be there all 3 days! Really looking forward to it.

-=Rudy=- likes this.
  18. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I am hoping to be in Chicago that weekend. If I am there I plan to attend AXPONA.

-=Rudy=- likes this.
  19. Shawn

One of the vendors just sent me a free 'one extra day' ticket (guessing other single day ticket holders might get similar offers?). So I'll be there this Friday and Saturday. If any forum members want to say hello drop me an IM!

20. Shawn

It looks like AXPONA tickets are half off on Goldstar.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  21. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I’ll probably be there. I’ll be the one walking around with earplugs.

Unfortunately, Michael Fremer is doing his turntable set-up seminar again. I really wish he would give a talk about something else industry related. The guy has lifetime of industry history to share. If you want to learn how to set up a turntable, then you only need to go to YouTube where there’s several videos of Michael himself doing this same routine.

recstar24 likes this.
  22. Tony Plachy

I wonder if that means ticket sales have not been good?

23. Tony Plachy

MF is hosting a round table on Friday to discuss the vinyl industry in general.

-=Rudy=- and Matt Richardson like this.
  24. -=Rudy=-

On my way over to the Ren in about an hour. Registration opens at 9am, show opens at 10.

If anyone wants to post photos, feel free. We can leave them here, or I can split them off into a "show report" thread. I'll have a few myself throughout the weekend (aside from the Instagram posts).

25. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

Heading there right now - 10am Friday. In for the weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.