Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident Thread Starter

14 titles to be released in Japan from the master tapes mini lps shm June 20th, should be interesting.

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Interesting. Japan certainly got their money’s worth out of the Gus remasters.. I’ve lost count of how many times they reissued them.:D

With these, I’ll wait for the reviews, I think. ‘From the master tapes’ doesn’t have the pull it once did... I’d have been a lot more interested if they were SACD hybrids.

@fredblue will buy them all. He’ll tell me if they’re any good or not.:D

3. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

We should start a campaign to get the remaining 5.1 mixes issued !

Peace and love✌

4. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Would be nice if the label gave us a "Complete Works" box set. :sigh:

5. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

CDJapan now has a number of these up for pre-order, approx $25 apiece, with a June 20th release date.

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Elton John. Features SHM-CD format. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP design, including a two 16-page booklets and a poster. Comes with an obi which faithfully replicates its Japanese first pressing LP design. Features 2018 remastering based on the original UK master tapes (subject to change). Comes with lyrics and a description. This series features the following titles: "Empty Sky," "Elton John," "Tumbleweed Connection," "Madman Across The Water," "Honky Chateau," "Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player," "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," "Caribou," "Greatest Hits," "Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy," "Rock Of The Westies," "Blue Moves," and "Greatest Hits Volume 2."

just checked out the Captain Fantastic pre-order and it mentions;
    "Special Feature / Bonus Track: three bonus tracks"
    so they are seemingly not barebones releases at least but who knows who remastered them and how they'll sound.. surprised 17-11-70 is not included.

6. Bobby Morrow

Subject to change.:D

I noticed Don’t Shoot Me has 4 bonus tracks, but they were only listed in Japanese. Boo.

Jarleboy and fredblue like this.
  7. fredblue

i'll get them just for 'the collection'.. but "new" potentially dubious sounding CDs of these albums are the last thing I really need! I'd rather something along the lines of the mono mixes of Empty Sky, 17-11-70 complete on CD, the surround mixes of Don't Shoot Me/Caribou/Westies/Blue Moves, a compilation of 80's B-Sides, etc., there's so much else of his they could be releasing instead..!!

8. fredblue

I don't know but I'm guessing they'll be; Whenever You're Ready, Jack Rabbit, Screw You, Skyline Pigeon (Piano Version).. if these aren't Gus' remasters I'll be amazed..!!

Jarleboy, Oyster Boy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Me too.

10. fredblue

been there, done that, given up trying! :winkgrin:

11. htom

htom Senior Member

Bonus tracks for all the albums will be the same ones in the 1995-1996 reissues, from the looks of it.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  12. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I wasn't a fan of the Gus masters compared to previous ones. If these are the new Ludwig masters, I might pick up the set. The new Ludwig vinyl remasters are equal or better than I have ever heard. The new Diamonds box on cd also sounds fantastic to me.

What I would like is Hi Res downloads of the 2016/2017 Ludwig masters.

and yes a B sides collection picking up where Rare Masters left off is needed.

Bevok, Captain Groovy, jpmosu and 2 others like this.
  13. fredblue

interesting looking version of Blue Moves.. 17 tracks.. seemingly missing Boogie Pilgrim :shh:

14. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

AMEN, brother!!

Carlox and fredblue like this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

You couldn’t blame them.:D

JDeanB and tedg65 like this.
  16. fredblue

well they are "subject to change".. so..
    maybe they'll change into something we all want, for a change! :angel:

17. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

At this point in time, tracks originally on an album should not be left off a re release of that album. Preserving the full album is at the top of the list in pleasing buyers and collectors in the most basic desires.

dwilpower, Scope J and snowman872 like this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

It wouldn’t surprise me if the ‘new remaster’ thing was wrong and these were just reissues of the old SHM CDs they’ve been putting out for years..

fredblue likes this.
  19. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

I have to say that I am dubious that these are all from master tapes. Has it not been said here many times that the reason there was no 5.1 mix of Don't Shoot Me was because they could not find the master tapes?

20. ZEP77

ZEP77 Houston/Pontiac '77 Video. Where are you?

To anyone that has ordered from CDJapan, how long does it take to get your items in the States?

21. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

If you use air delivery, about a week after it ships. If you send it some economy way (i.e. boat) about three weeks. It could take longer if the item gets held up in Customs, but that is rare for media. CDJapan is fast if they have it in stock.

wwright, saturdayboy and ZEP77 like this.
  22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

A 5.1 remix requires the multitrack tapes.
    A remaster requires the stereo master tapes. Different things.

Carlox, marcb, Ulli and 3 others like this.
  23. kippyy

kippyy Forum Resident

Are these SHM-CD's with the green color?
    What is the mini LP referring to?
    Can/should these discs be ripped to computer?
    I'm intrigued by Caribou and Don't Shoot Me..
    Have been hoping for a great sounding version of these 2
    Doubtful I will re-buy what I have on SACD.

24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes.
    Packaging in the style of vinyl LPs (square cardboard covers) but at CD size.
    Yes.

25. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do not think they will be "green" label thats usually the platinum shm, the latest remaster in Japan have featured a copy of the vinyl lp label or a blank cd with just the title of the cd on that is usually way they work hope this helps.