Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I would not want what Dylan

I would not want what Dylan has done. I don't need 30 outtakes of Ram On in my collection

2. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I suspect that McCartney's reposte to anyone who plays the "Dylan has done it" card would be along the lines of "What's the point in doing it if Dylan's done it already? I want to do it differently". McCartney has always wanted to be different...

3. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

There’s a lot of truth in Paul’s statement. And I mean that in a good way.

4. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Had bip bop been 2 min long as a link track and not on Wngs debut album it would not warrrat a mention. It's a pleasant song

5. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Unless it's his setlist. Hi-Yo!!!

jmxw, Sean, daveidmarx and 7 others like this.
  6. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Dylan and Paul have a lot in common:

They are the same Myers-Briggs personality type (ISFP)

Horrible judges of their own work

Dislike spending time on recording songs over and over (especially Dylan)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

The 'card' as it were is appealing to a guy concerned with legacy and future marketability of product to put out the best-sounding versions of items at a point in time where people likely to care can buy and appreciate them. He's certainly being different there.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  8. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

The problem is the mix, and song selection. With a more in your face mix, I think this album would be better remembered. Too much slap delay on his vocal and the drums sound is very uninspiring.

long gone john likes this.
  9. So, will the next Archive Collection discs be Wings Greatest, Chaos and Creation in the Backyard, and New? (Obviously, as Thrillington was already released in the Ram Archive box, we won’t be getting that again.)

10. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Almost 99.99997% sure no is the answer to your question.

11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That means that there is a 0.00003% of it happening. Which in MPL's world is close to a sure thing ... ;)

12. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

You are correct sir

13. Aw, come on, it’s not THAT far fetched considering those discs are the next installment of the 180g vinyl reissue series.

14. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

The likely point is that these are being reissued specifically because they are NOT going to get the Archive treatment (or already have been in the case of Thrillington), this just gets them back in print and available on the Capitol label.

If these albums had the slightest chance of getting an Archive treatment there's no way they would be getting this reissue now.

15. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Exactly!!

16. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Yup. If you think about it, Chaos & Creation and New would have come very late in the Archive reissue series anyway, given how recently they were originally released. Wings Greatest would have been a pretty pointless Archive release. What would you release as bonus? More hits? The album-only singles and b-sides were already, and will likely continue to be, released with the regular Archive reissues. And Thrillington already was realeased with Ram.

So yeah, these reissues likely wouldn't have been part of the Archive series anyway.

Sean, supermd, Mr. Explorer and 2 others like this.
  17. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Meant to write "non-album singles", not "album-only singles".

18. That is one way to look at it but the opposite could just as easily be true.

19. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

No It really couldn't .

20. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

I think the selection of the albums makes it clear. Also notice that so far no whole album has been remastered under Capitol. They are only reissuing what has already been remastered.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  21. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

In what way would that make any sense whatsoever though?

Imagine you had plans to put out some kind of premium product. Would you put out a simplified cheaper version of it in advance with no clue to your fans that the "bigger & better" version was going to follow.

You then put out the premium product afterwards and half the people who might have wanted to buy it don't bother because they bought the cheaper version earlier and decide that's satisfied their needs.

These albums are not getting an Archive version.

In the last few months Paul has now announced 12 albums to get a simple black or colour vinyl release, these are-

McCartney
    Ram
    Band On The Run
    Venus & Mars
    Speed Of Sound
    McCartney II
    Tug Of War
    Pipes Of Peace
    Thrillington
    Wings Greatest
    Chaos & Creation
    New

These all fall in to the same category of being albums that there is no expectation of a forthcoming Archive release for (obviously in many cases because it's already had one).

Notice that not 1 of the following has had a "normal" vinyl reissue announced-

Wild Life
    Red Rose Speedway
    London Town
    Back To The Egg
    Broad Street
    Press To Play
    Off The Ground
    Flaming Pie

I have no doubt this is very deliberate. These albums are being held back for another purpose, which is either an Archive release, or potentially with a couple of them it might just be for a future vinyl reissue.

I believe we are well and truly in to Capitol's "comprehensive plan" now, with 2 distinct elements:

1) A continuation of the Archive series that will eventually see all or most of that previous list (Wild Life through to Flaming Pie) get the Archive treatment. Hopefully even some "off piste" releases like an early live Wings box (we've seen suggestions here from people who might have some insider info on an unexpected twist in the series). Paul's fairly recent advertising has also alluded to the "ongoing Archive series".

2) An ongoing reissue series that will get the rest of Paul's catalogue back out there on sale. Possible titles could include Memory Almost Full, Driving Rain (if he really has any inclination at all to remember that period of his life), The Fireman albums, Twin Freaks, his various live albums etc.

This is just my own speculation, maybe with some wishful thinking thrown in, but I don't see anything above that's unrealistic.

22. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

This thread started March 2017, and 100 pages later, there's absolutely no info about a future archive set. It's been over especially when the vinyl reissues and 'Pure McCartney' came out. He could have focused on just the Archive series but then he had a new album to work on and these reissues and the compilation. I think if more Archives were coming out they would have been done before the vinyl reissues. I hope I'm wrong but for now, and I guess people like to talk Paul whatever happens, but we shouldn't get our hopes up too high or we'll be let down.

Sean, NaturalD and vegard martinsen like this.
  23. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Excellent reasoning and I hope you're right but 4 of the albums on the list that haven't gotten vinyls are ones that Paul has always felt uneasy about - 'Broad Street', 'Back to the Egg', 'Press to Play' and 'Wild Life'. I can't see these getting a big treatment because he has a long memory and knows they were trashed and only have hardcore fans loving them. Plus even their sales and chart positions were probably too low for standard Macca. I don't know if he feels the same about 'Off the Ground' but that was trashed too. 'Flaming Pie' got undercut by releasing 8 of the tracks on 'Pure McCartney'. So a bigger and better version of 'Flaming Pie' would be affected.

Still, I really hope you're reasoning is accurate and great breakdown too.

24. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I'm worried about my Amazon colored wax pre-order.

25. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Same! I really should do a musicvaultz order to be safe

Jerry Horne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.