Acoustic Sounds announces new SACDs for Jimi Hendrix & Pink Floyd 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParanoidAndroid, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I did own both the Moebius and Barclay pressings that used that France tape. Honestly while it is higher fidelity those two sound thin, and are in much need of some mastering. The dream would be getting that source plus a good mastering engineer to release it on digital without the lacquer->vinyl lossyness/sound added distortion. In the mean time it's acceptable but I listen to it very rarely. If mono layer on the SACD sounds like the US/UK mono reissue I'll try my hand at some EQ with prof's Barclay needle drop.

WonkyWilly and rnranimal like this.
  2. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Good to know.Thanks.Wow. I'm already angling these as Christmas presents then :laugh:

3. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

That is absolutely true, but the US/UK vinyl was so ridiculously poor, they make the French LP sound like Steely Dan.

4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

:goodie:

:realmad::rant:

bluesbro and SinnerSaint like this.
  5. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Indeed but as they license thru the US, maybe they have to use that album version?

6. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

They're on my Want list. It's depressing having to rely on mid 80's cds for decent digital versions of their classic albums.

SinnerSaint and Natvecal. like this.
  7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I've never found a CD copy sounding as good as this

I'd love to have, finally, a Dark Side of The Moon sounding like this

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

this video might be of interest to collectors

SOONERFAN, AlanDistro and George P like this.
  9. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

A CD sourced from a compressed version of a copy of a vinyl mastering copy tape?

10. hgfed27

hgfed27 Forum Resident

I listen to the folded down quad mixes of both of the Floyd mixes being released so I really don't have much interest in buying another copy of the original stereo mix (or the 5.1). The Hendrix albums on SACD, however, I am very interested in. I wonder if they'll be better than the original Reprise discs.

11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Take any decent sounding mastering of DSOTM and boost the treble.

12. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I've done that very thing with a needle drop I did of the mono Barclay. It needed some much needed EQ, and it was different for every song. To me, after my EQ, it sounds better than what EH put out on vinyl a few years back.

The Beave likes this.
  13. RoyH

RoyH Active Member

I for one am looking forward to the WYEH release. I didn’t have an SACD player back when the original was released and now to find it on eBay you have to give your first born in order to be able to afford it. That being said I would give up the WYEH all day long for a 5.1 mix release on The Wall. I have the Roger Waters The Wall Love 5.1 release and it’s decent but in general I hate live albums. I was able to score the Mastersound version of WYWH and love it. To me Mastersound in general has a warm essence to their releases and on songs LIKE WYWH it sounds very nice.. but again never heard it in 5.1

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Is the WYWH immersion set with the 5.1 and 4.0 mixes unobtanium now?

15. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Wow.

16. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Does anybody know if the Pink Floyd ones are going to be a new mastering or will these be the same as what they released on the Immersion set a few years ago? Take the master tapes and just do a flat transfer for crying out loud. I'm getting tired of buying these albums again and again.

George P likes this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

You didn't like the wish you were here sacd?

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Why would they do a new re-masterings or transfer them flat? The existing masterings are already excellent. They're not trying to improve upon the existing ones; they're just trying to make them available again to those who don't have them (and make some money too, I suppose).

And no offense, but why are you buying them again and again?

mando_dan, superstar19 and formu_la like this.
  19. RoyH

RoyH Active Member

I’m not sure tbh I know the WYWH SaCD is running in excess of $150 on eBay. If they’re truly coming out I’ll save my money and get the new version

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I would get the immersion set if it’s not unreasonable. The original hi-rez mastering was in pcm not dsd, so you gain nothing with SACD. Plus you get the quad mix and lots of other extras.

Bill Mac, RoyH and Hymie the Robot like this.
  21. RoyH

RoyH Active Member

Can the same be said for The Wall immersion set?

22. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

For my money the Wish You Were AP Sacd was definitive.

George P and RiRiIII like this.
  23. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

For WYWH I have the 2011 CD, the 1994 Mastersound CD and the Columbia CK 33453 CD. I prefer the boosted Mastersound but is there a better edition out there? Still would love to have some sort of immersion set for Animals.

RoyH likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

Agreed.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

No.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.