Zerostat anti-static gun

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Craig Spiegel, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident

I usually touch a metal object to remove my static. I do have one of those wrist static cable I've used when building my computer system, but that would be inconvenient. I will probably just have to turn on my humidifier to control static.

Dreams266 likes this.
  2. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

I am thinking of buying a zerostat anti static gun. But do they really work that well, is it worth the money?

house9 likes this.
  3. gov

gov Forum Resident

Yes and yes.

If you want to test it, keep a half a piece of packaging popcorn near your table. Take it out of the sleeve, watch it “stick” then hit it with the milty as described in the video up thread. Retry and watch the popcorn fall to the floor.

Zumbi likes this.
  4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yes they really do work that well. Your static might not disappear forever as whatever caused the charge in the first place might cause it again, but if you use it, it will work.

nm_west and Zumbi like this.
  5. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

Great to hear, then I will probably get one!

6. vs_jk

vs_jk Forum Resident

I don't doubt these anti-static guns work. However, I've found that a much cheaper solution works fine for my needs. It starts with a dryer sheet that has been run through a full dryer cycle. Then I simply hold it loosely over the surface of the vinyl while it spins. After a couple rotations, static is gone and I can use my brush to easily remove dust left on the surface of the vinyl. This process probably takes the same amount of time as the anti-static guns, costs nothing, and is highly effective.

timztunz likes this.
  7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I hear some say you should also pull away when you squeeze. But the main point is to hold and squeeze slowly yeah. How did you do it?

8. Leonthepro

For anyone considering a Zero Stat or other anti stat methods I implore you to first test the humidity in your playing environment.

I too wanted a Zero Stat but it is actually working around the problem rather than fixing anything. After I raised the humidity from under 20% to around 40% all static issues went away, and no I didnt even need a cork mat.

9. Leonthepro

Where are the facts?

10. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Old timer trick here, blow into the sleeve before you pull the album out and the moisture in your breath usually kills the static. Been doing this for years...

Tommyboy, Rickchick and Mugrug12 like this.
  11. Leonthepro

"Dont talk to your records folks" - Peter Ledermann

That seems like a really bad idea, much like how I wouldnt use tap water for cleaning.

500Homeruns likes this.
  12. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

I ruined two cartridges doing it. Be my guest to do your own research.

Static Discharge and Leonthepro like this.
  13. Leonthepro

Just curious since Im interested in such facts. But thats actually personal experience. I guess its not surprising though.

14. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Been doing it for a long, long time with no ill effects. I'm not saying you slobber on them lol. Maybe I'll pick up a Zerostat though, you never know...

15. Leonthepro

If you have static problems and feel the need to humidify your records with your lungs may I suggest a humidifier like above instead? It worked wonders for me, I no longer feel the need for a Zerostat at all, plus its just plain more comfortable to live in a decently moist environment rather than a dried out one.

16. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Thanks, but a leather mat and wet cleaning my records took care of my static issues for the most part

quicksrt and Leonthepro like this.
  17. Leonthepro

I assume you dont mean wet clean with your mouth ;^)

When I got my Okki Nokki it still gave me static actually, but Sweden is just extra dry.

SirMarc likes this.
  18. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Lol. SpinClean

Leonthepro likes this.
  19. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

This forum is all about sharing personal experience.

20. Leonthepro

Well yes, but personal experience is not necessarily fact like you stated, thats all I mean.

21. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Man! I feel stupid. I always placed the record on the platter, no wonder I could never get it to work. This thing actually works when you hold the record in free space. You can see pieces of dust falling from the record when blowing at it after a treatment. Glad I never got rid of it!!

Leonthepro likes this.
  22. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

That’s exactly what I had been doing. Putting the record on the platter. :doh:

Sullygr2221, marka and Leonthepro like this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I had a red Zerostat made by Discwasher back 30 years ago that fell to pieces in my hand. The trigger just snapped off with a gentle squeez one day. That was when I lived in Florida. Cheap pos.

I have lived in California ever since I've not needed a gun, not much of a static problem here in LA for some reason.

I did come across a cream colored one that might be the made in England version. Bought it used but have never tried it out.

All of my LPs that get needle dropped get a deep wet soap and water cleaning and hand drying with a static free cotton towel. So not much static left on those records at all.

24. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Hm, and it worked for you?

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The platter with a good rubber mat could not have neutralized the entire effect and effort. Naw

Nielsoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.