Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

???...??? Am I wrong? I thought I had read that information here (which, being the internet, means it must be correct.)

I definitely remember reading about the hellish task of preparing Dick's 16 somewhere. Yikes.

SBegonias17 and US Blues like this.
  2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I don't recall anything regarding the 26 March 1972 show.

Jim Wise was a long-time taper and still is an active member of the larger community. His contributions are legion, and worthy of note. Preparing Dick's 16 was a labor of love for Jim, and he did it in part to prove to Dick Latvala what was possible in the digital realm. To everyone's benefit.

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I recall reading that the Dick’s Pick from the Academy ‘72 run was sourced from the DATs Rob Eaton made from reels owned by the goat farmer/teacher who bought a batch of the storage locker tapes. I would assume the same to be the case for the Academy Dave’s pick, since that pre-dated the return of the Betty’s (starting with the July ‘78 box).

4. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Dick gave Jim the files to work on via DAT because torrenting and other common file sharing methods we enjoy today was not a thing yet on the interweb.

superstar19 and SBegonias17 like this.
  5. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Yeah, the dark age. trading, tape/cd-r trees, usenet, ftp servers, tol, etc. My how things changed and quickly!

Instant Dharma and AlienRendel like this.
  6. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Tol!!!

Olompali and superstar19 like this.
  7. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Extra points for use of the word "bathetic".

8. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Indeed. Most Dead fans don’t know much about baths.

trd, DrLunchbox and bzfgt like this.
  9. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

I find this shocking, but guess that's what makes the world go around. Perhaps you need to be locked in a room with the 71' catalogue and a bottle of liquid. Perhaps not.. Whose to tell? hah

While you contemplate this, please listen to the week in April at the Fillmore East and this Harding Theatre show. Peace

-Zafu

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  10. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Does he sing that different than he sanged anything else?

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Been there... Its good top shelf playing but then so again is 77, my other least preferred year of the 70's so go figure...

budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  12. Six Bachelors

Perhaps I was acting on assumption or maybe what I read ?here? was posted on the basis of the assumption.

Either way, I believe Dave's 14 definitely came out before there was any public talk of returned reels. A pity. I may be imagining things but the sound of Dave's 14 has never grabbed me.

SBegonias17 and Archtop like this.
  13. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I could never get the hang of the usenet thing. Luckily there was dnc to help break me in.

superstar19 likes this.
  14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The performance on March 26, 1972 is red hot though. Just as hot as any of the Europe shows.

Ezzie, SBegonias17, trd and 2 others like this.
  15. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I also believe that it came out prior to knowledge of returned reels. I also think it is the aural equivalent of chewing aluminum (aluminium) foil. Three From the Vault (2/19/71) has the very same vibe. The playing is great, but the sound is horribly and metallically abrasive.

16. Six Bachelors

I don't deny it. I have before but I must again do a thorough listening of the officially released stuff from those shows. Something about them doesn't impress me the way nearly all of Europe does. The Dark Star from that week is a good example - Mr Top lists it as one of his favourites and, as I recall, especially loves one of the PITBs from that run. I don't need Mr Top to get me to enjoy the Dead but I think we've all come to place a significant deal of weight in his recommendations (I know I have)...and yet I found the Dark Star to be uninteresting and uninspired.

I wonder if I have a bias about those shows that affects my listening: "Well, they're not Europe so..."

I have stated before that I like the sound of 3FTV but until my friend returns the copy he claims he can't find, I can't remind myself of how it sounds. Now the Dave's release? Yeah. It sounds like what it is - a digital mastering of an old digital copy of an old tape, not stored properly.

17. Archtop

First of all, thanks for the nod, but I'm just a random jamoke. And to set the record straight, since they only played Dark Star once during the tune-up for what became E'72 give it another go (3/23/72 on the Academy of Music bonus disc and it really does get to major heights; see minor feelin' groovy 15:22; Major 15:45; Hoe-down 16:08; Groovy 17:05) and the Playin' that made me step on my tongue (and leap right back on the bus) is from 3/27/72 on disc 1 of DP 30.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  18. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

IIRC a contributing factor to the sound on the AOM shows is the Eaton DAT's were transfered back in the 90's. A fresh transfer with current equipment would possibly produce better sounding releases.

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Odd since 3FTV was from multitrack. I don't remember that one sounding bad but I also don't remember it being a special show.

20. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

With the exception of the Dark Star>Wharf Rat>Beautiful Jam>Dark Star sequence from 2/18/71 those Port Chester 71 shows leave me really flat.

21. Archtop

I don't know if "sounding bad" is the right way to put it. The recording is clean, but it has this crunchy upper mid-range that I don't care for. It's more of a mixing issue than a sound quality issue for me.

22. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Notes from Orf's seed:
    The original reels of the Port Chester run of '71 were audibly tainted due to a cable problem. The result is a tone which hovers around 8000 Hz with an amplitude of about +20 dB above the noise floor. This translate to a very annoying pitch, especially during quiet sections, which is in the old-tv-tube or lousy-hard-disk or maybe even the-sound-you-hear-after-you-slam-your-head-against-a-concrete-wall class of 'whine'. Because this interference is 'monochromatic' it's easy to get rid of if you have the processing power and a quick FFT algorithm. I used the filter-shaping capabilities of the Sonic Foundry Noise Reduction Plugin to tailor a very narrow notch filter which attenuated the interference without affecting the rest of the signal. And it's all done in the digital domain. Huzzah!

As a side note, I actually ended up crafting many filters to process these shows. The frequency of the interference actually drifted anywhere from 7700 to 8100 Hz during a given show. This was probalby due to a slightly wandering reel speed. It made my work harder but when I tried a much wider filter I started to be able to hear the attenuation in the music. The filters generally go like this (see info file for diagram).

US Blues, adamos, ianuaditis and 5 others like this.
  23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember reading comments about an annoying hum on those shows but I thought this was on the two-track Betty boards, not the multitracks.

Six Bachelors and Archtop like this.
  24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I always seem to pass over 3FTV as well. Recognizing I have not heard it in a while I would point out it is a Healy mix, and also done in the early 90's despite the 2007 release date. I always find Healy's multi-track release mixes a little on the clinical/analytical side with a more strident mid to upper range. They are surely accurate affairs and I don't complain about them; yet I never seem to fall in love with them.

Crispy Rob, trd, Archtop and 2 others like this.
  25. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

We used to joke that that tone was a byproduct of all the ESP happening at those shows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.