The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

As for Baroness, check this song:

2. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

IMO Ian Paice's best work is on the often overlooked Come Taste the Band. (...and Jon Lord agrees)

ian christopher and Trillmeister like this.
  3. zen

zen Senior Member

I'll add...Made in Japan, WDWTWA and Purpendicular.

ian christopher likes this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Brann Dailor of Mastodon gets a lot of talk as a good drummer. I’ve always thought Matt Spearin of Disappearer is quite good. Of course guys like Powell and Paice will get mentioned. They’re all time hard rock icons. I don’t imagine you’ve not heard of those guys.

Mikkey Dee is a really talented player, too. I think with Scorpions now.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  5. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

For fans of Kamelot... former vocalist Roy Khan has resurfaced 7 years after leaving the band with this track "For All". It seems to be religious in nature. Regardless of the subject matter, his voice is undiminished and it is a treat to hear him.

gromich and GodShifter like this.
  6. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Yeah, I was just gonna recommend Mastodon as their drummer is indeed "wicked".

Stormrider77 likes this.
  7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

OMG. :love::love::love:

This came up on youtube when I was looking for something. I forget what I was looking for now.

I used to have a guitar like that, but never a girl like that. Holy carumba. Love the music too (was there music?). But seriously, great playing there.

I can't take credit for this but just saw this in the comments, pretty funny..

That smoking hot body, those beautiful curves, that sexy neck!!!

God I love Gibson Les Pauls.

8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i believe mangini only is on a few tracks on that extreme album

9. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Yeah, I know all these, except for Spearin, will check him out, thanks.
    Could never stand Mastodon.

10. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

I haven't been able to stand them since The Hunter.

11. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

That MSG album is one of my treasured vinyl rotatorgasms.

It may have worn like Jack Palance chewing sandpaper but still thumps like crazy and as I've mentioned elsewhere at some point, the track 'On And On' isn't just off the scale, it simply melts under the heat of such an irresistible holiness marching forth.

Stupendous Heavy Rock making you need more oxygen.

12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Brand new Lords of Black!

World Gone Mad

gromich and ian christopher like this.
  13. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Finding "Assault Attack" at a Goodwill thrift/pawn shop a few years back remains one of the happier days of my life.

Lord Birch in the producer's chair on that one.

14. ian christopher

I'm not sure that Mastodon will be the acquired taste that Sepultura became for me.

there seems to be a lack of dynamic and any discernible melodies (Sepultura while heavy had melodies in spades) - but I'm only 5 listens in on their 2 big hyped 2000's discs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

That's a big problem with sludge (the subgenre they fall in when it comes to portions of their sound). Sepultura is leagues ahead of them at their best, easily.

16. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

1990 was an insane year.

17. Trillmeister

One of 'The Wasp's' peaks, twiddle-wise, undoubtedly.

Birch had a way of capturing instruments so clearly yet boasts a repertoire of widly varying album sounds.

The first five 'Maiden albums all sound totally different to each other, as do the '70s 'Purple outings, early Whitesnake productions whilst RJD era Rainbow's first three are ying, yang and, er yong; ditto BÖC and 'Sabbath in 1980 and '81, respectively.

In all cases, the mixes all seem to work. (Apart from 'Maiden in the mid-late 80s when the overblown digisynthalis rather neuters the former clarity of a purer aggression.)

18. ian christopher

getting a really heavy Voivod vibe - a bit more neoclassical and a bit less psychedelic.

thanks for the share!

19. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Pretty underrated, all things considered.

20. GodShifter

Sepultura is not sludge. Thrash/alt. heavy metal.

21. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

I was referring to Mastodon.

GodShifter and ian christopher like this.
  22. GodShifter

Ah, perhaps. Certainly the early stuff could fall into that realm.

Stormrider77 and ian christopher like this.
  23. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Oh that's for sure. It shares the place with Youthanasia as my favorites from the band.

Jimmy Agates and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Trillmeister

I can plonk on prettty much any Megadeth, at any time and rarely feel short changed.

One of my most consistent artistes, old Dave (& co.)

By the way, there's a trio of sequential songs on the new 'Priest album that are on very heavy rotation at the present: 'Flame Thrower,' 'Spectre' and 'Traitors' Gate.'

In the second of these, at about 1m50secs is a guitar break, quickly followed by an intoxicating swirl of switching solos and riffing sufficient to send men standing idle into the cellars to retrieve a bottle of Chateau LeMetal-Zenith, 1978.

Such unsullied 'molten flow' is seldom matched in consistence of purity and to experience such delight requires the rapid crank of albums such as Mercyful Fate's 1983 debut LP, Melissa.

Elsewhere, a song entitled 'Burning Leaves' by Ensiferum fulfills the criteria.

Apologies for the darty, jumping, somewhat random, fly-like analysis but I'm currently roaming with a harsh ear across my modest collection, attempting a disorderly but hugely satisfying quest to contemplate unfettered, Heavy Rock and Metal mana that doesn't require 'a mood' for the listening but rather, enforces a joyous, head nodding fealty by virtue of irresistible brilliance which may just be an orgasmic solo (extended or otherwise,) soaring melody line or other instrumental device.

Oh, 'Nosferatu' by BÖC; there's another... simply exquisite.

As you were...

25. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

I share your appreciation of The Wasp... one of the most instrumental figures in my record collection. However, I disagree with your assessment of mid/late-80s Maiden production. I think Seventh Son is the best produced Maiden album. Nicko's drum sound on that album, in particular, is aural bliss (focus on his work on the title track... my God). The guitars perhaps may not have the aggression of Killers, but they have a gorgeous, shimmering sound that appeals to me... and I think is rather suitable for the conceptual nature of the material.

It wasn't until 1990 when Steve Harris insisted the band record No Prayer for the Dying in a barn to get a "street level, stripped down" sound when the Birch/Maiden production standards declined.

Trillmeister and Ivand like this.