Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

There should have been a Floyd at the BBC release 20 years ago. Kind of sad they waited so long and then botched it. Seriously that big box could have been spoon fed to us from the 90s onwards and I would have been happy, I just couldn't justify spending that amount in one go. Very sad.

Chop, rontoon and Pete Puma like this.
  2. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I'm not in the court and is obliged to give evidence. If you don't believe it - fine. That was confirmed by a guy who wrote Random Precision.
    Tape is demo but done on studio equipment so there should be equal fidelity to other tracks like Let's Split, Birdie Hop etc.

3. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Not only would Living Alone be priceless ~ whether it's I Get Stoned or not, though I hope it is ~ I can't think of two Syd solo songs I'd rather have demos of than Waving My Arms & Wolfpack. The latter is one of his most underrated gems (and vocal performances), IMO. Given what fine form he's in on Bob Dylan Blues, it's hard not to imagine those demos are exquisite.

Gilmour did talk just a couple years ago about having Syd recordings he'd like to release sometime when he gets around to it. I can only hope these are among the pieces he was talking about. (And that he gets around to it.)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Chris M, rnranimal and hallucalation like this.
  4. hallucalation

Right.. I don't think he have other recordings. The rest are locked in EMI vault. I prefer if Gilmour would stay away from Syd vault releases at all and return reel where it belongs in the first place.

Chris M, rontoon and anth67 like this.
  5. Tyrell

Tyrell Forum Resident

A definitive Syd boxset is long overdue.

Remastered original albums, the remixes, all the odds and sods, session mixes, videos, bung it all in there and sell it and make the fans happy.

6. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I’m struggling to see how the tapes being in the possession of a friend and collaborator who understands Syd’s genius is somehow worse than being in the hands of a non-musical entity who, even with the best will in the world, has no appreciation of their benefactor’s talent.

Lownote30, RonBaker and Pete Puma like this.
  7. hallucalation

Of course it's better and more right to gather dust in archive of friend instead of being released by EMI in 1993 when Crazy Diamond was out with lots of bonus tracks. Or even earlier at Opel

8. Tyrell

Tyrell Forum Resident

I think Gilmour still feels rather guilty about taking Syd's place, even though Syd would have inevitably left or simply been unable to write and perform as part of the band regardless.

Rockchef likes this.
  9. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Maybe PFRLP22 to PFRLP25 are the quad mixes of AHM,DSOTM and WYWH and the last one is another live album.
    Are there any unreleased songs by Pink Floyd like Queen have many songs that were not finished like I Guess We're Falling Out, Self Made Man, My Secret Fantasy etc. ?

10. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

What are you talking about? It's a well established, published fact that Gilmour took the BDB tape from Abbey Road in 1970 and never returned it. What was given to EMI later by Gilmour was a very crappy mix/dub of the song. So he either lost the original tape or is deliberately hoarding it. It was a professional recording and not a "demo" any more than "Rats" was.

Chris M and hallucalation like this.
  11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

And doesn't decide they need his overdubs.

Chris M likes this.
  12. hallucalation

It is not lost. In Mojo he said that he transfered it to his computer and listened to it.

WonkyWilly likes this.
  13. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

The poor sound quality of what he provided EMI with would suggest that the "original" master is lost, but that doesn't mean it's what actually happened.

14. Has Gilmour ever suggested he felt guilt for being asked to join Floyd? Poor guilty thieving Dave, what a diabolical villain he is.

15. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

It isn't typical for a label to skip catalogue numbers, so I would guess whatever PFRLP22-25 are, they aren't far away from release. I'd guess one of them is Live at Pompeii, which could be released in tandem with the blu-ray of the film. The others...I have no idea.

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

A blu-ray of Pompeii is long overdue, with the quad mix and without that CGI animation, but they did include it in the Early years box ("Director's Cut" presentation unchanged) so that may not be happening.

17. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

IIRC, the Obfuscation box only includes the performances in the stadium, nothing else. Is the EY boxset contains all of the movie?

dkmonroe likes this.
  18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Nah, the Obfuscation box is the same in both the EY set and the separate set, so I suppose the whole thing has not yet been released in Blu-ray. But the fact that EY/Obfuscation still has the "Director's Cut" versions of the performances doesn't bode well for the future. And I'm afraid that if the Floyd put out a really great Blu-ray of Pompeii without the cheesy animations and fake widescreen and including the quad mix, people who bought the EY set will rightfully feel somewhat cheated.

19. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Judging from his answer in the 2001 Mojo interview, he didn't realise he had the tape at the time of the Opel and Crazy Diamond releases.

20. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

27 pages of discussion even it is not released yet...unbelievable !!!

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Funny, I mentioned this a week or so ago (in one thread or another)...in pure jest.

But given the questions and confusion (and laughs) it generated, it would be a marketing challenge. But anything is possible I suppose. They would certainly offer a different listening experience for those who have never heard the stereo matrixed versions of the quad mixes.

22. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Ever been in a Beatles Thread? ;)

sathvyre likes this.
  23. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Has there been any indication yet whether this will be available on vinyl other than this RSD version? The custom outer jacket isn't important to me.

24. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

That’s a very important question. I’m curious to know too. I’ve been looking for a mono copy for years...

25. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I honestly can’t believe it wouldn’t be. Why wouldn’t they?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.