London Record Shops

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by StevenC, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur. Thread Starter

In London this week on business..

i only know of 3 shops :

Sister Ray, Reckless and Rough Trade.
    I'm not looking for bargain bin titles.

I'm hoping for collectible used U.K./European versions of albums.
    Would especially love the 90s stuff only issued on vinyl in the U.K.

Any recommendations...? Please don't talk me out of it because you feel it's too costly here. I don't care, just want to find hard to find gems even if I need to pay for them...
    Thanks!

2. If visiting Reckless and Sister Ray, you owe it to yourself to also see Sounds of the Universe on Broadwick St, about 2 blocks away.

I also like Ray's Jazz in the Foyles book store, which is within walking distance.

3. AudioLoup

AudioLoup Forum Resident

Be sure to visit 'Out on the Floor Records' on Inverness St.
    They have a separate shop in the basement with lots of typically British 80's & 90's vinyl (new wave, post-punk, alternative rock).

And IIRC there is a monthly / every other week vinyl market on fridays / saturdays (or the other way round) in Spitalfield market (check their website). It's everything from bins to collectors items, but in any case it's a huge collection of vinyl and a great area to spend a day off!

4. StevenC

This is a great suggestion! Thanks! Was also sort of looking for a book store as well, so perfect.

5. StevenC

Thank you! Sounds like I should check both of these out as they carry what I'm looking for. And those markets are great usually, if I can get lucky enough to be in London on the right day...

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Not much to add re: London shops but, if you have time it might be worth calling a couple of stores in Brighton (an hour away) with your wants. If they have them, then you can try and get down there to pick them. Being an hour away you could go after your meetings and be back in the same day. Monkey Music Emporium would be my first port of call. Across the Tracks is another and then there's Wax Factor. I can't remember any others.

It's good that you are not bothered by high London prices :)

Harvey Rickenbacker likes this.
  7. Analogistic

Analogistic Forum Resident

I enjoyed this spot. In the back of a collector shop for retro stuff. If you are looking for 7" , they have boxes upon boxes

Intoxica Records
    11 Cecil Court, WC2N 4EZ London, United Kingdom

Also liked

Music and Video exchange near Notting Hill

Good luck.

8. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Original vinyl ?
    Sister Ray

10. StevenC

found some ok stuff at Sister Ray. In Los Angeles, you can find stores with collectible records you can pay more for.
    Found a couple of Smiths records on colored vinyl but not other collectible titles. Guess we're lucky with indie shops in California.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Interesting !!!

12. gottenbold

gottenbold Forum Resident

Flashback Records on Bethnal Green Road

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.