Lost TV shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I only know what the Paramount exec told me, and he was in a position to know. (This was somebody for whom I did a lot of work over about a 7-8-year period.) I think you could go back and look at thousands of 1960s TV shows that lacked a © mark at the end of the show. I can recall remastered shows where they went back and superimposed a video copyright notice in the end credits, but they were basically re-asserting their rights that already existed on paper, kind of a belt-and-suspenders approach.

I'd have to see a test case with a decision where a judge ruled that a show was not actually copyrighted because they left out the © in the end credits. I think this is a technicality, and they would rule the other way provided the show was actually copyrighted in the U.S. Patent & Trademark office with all the forms filled out. (I have warned filmmakers before: be sure to put the © on at the end, the "All Persons are Fictitious" disclaimer, and file the paperwork with the copyright office just to be absolutely sure that you're covered.)

What is true is that there are a ton of 1950s and 1960s shows whose copyright is under a cloud, and because the copyrights were never renewed (and there was no © in the end credits), you could assume that a lot of the shows have slipped into the public domain. Stuff like this makes studios and networks reluctant to release old material, because somebody else could just grab it and re-release it as P.D.

2. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Like I said, you and I ought to talk at some point.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Bronk...love a home video release of this.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

There seems to be no limit to Metromedia's crimes against television history:

Before 1948, Mary Kay and Johnny was broadcast live and not recorded. In early 1948, still broadcast live, the show was also recorded on kinescopes so that it could be shown, with some delay, on the West Coast. The entire series from then until 1950 was recorded in this way. Many episodes survived in full as late as 1975, when DuMont's corporate successor, Metromedia, disposed of what was left of the DuMont archive in the East River.​

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Was it Metromedia or ABC? I get different answers from different people. Eydie Adams told me ABC, but maybe I was drunk or high at the time.

Apparently DuMont did 20,000 different TV shows by the time they went out of business, but only about 200 hour survive, and I think most of that were Honeymooners-related shows (because Jackie Gleason personally held on to them):

List of surviving DuMont Television Network broadcasts - Wikipedia

Steve Litos likes this.
  7. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I do remember some case where a copyright line was not on something, and though it was on later versions it didn't matter, it became public domain. Whether this was a tv show or a book or magazine of some kind I can't remember right now, not if it was UK or USA. I think I must have early senility but I thought I'd mention it. I used to have mental and physical access to all kinds of stuff. :cry:

8. JozefK

Mike Wallace - Wikipedia

Between June 1961 and June 1962 he hosted a New York–based nightly interview program for Westinghouse Broadcasting called PM East for one hour; it was paired with PM West, 30 minutes, hosted by San Francisco Chronicle television critic Terrence O'Flaherty. Westinghouse syndicated the series to television stations it owned and to a few other cities. People in southern and southwestern states were unable to watch it. A frequent guest on the PM East segment was Barbra Streisand. Only the audio of some of her conversations with Wallace survives. Westinghouse wiped the videotapes.​

9. JozefK

Anyone know if this show survives?

Actors Studio (TV series) - Wikipedia

Marlon Brando did an episode:

"Actor's Studio" I'm No Hero (TV Episode 1949) - IMDb

In a curious coincidence, this episode is based on the same story by Henry Kane that would provide the basis for "The Dark, Dark Hours", the GE Theater episode which paired James Dean and Ronald Reagan in 1954.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This page claims Brando also did an unsold pilot in 1950, as well as reviving Stanley Kowalski on Omnibus in 1955.

Marlon Brando on TV: How His Star Power Went Beyond the Big Screen

10. JozefK

goodiesguy and Sammy Banderas like this.
  11. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

I Married Joan
    My Little Margie

boggs likes this.
  12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Are some episodes of these shows lost? I wouldn't be surprised if the complete runs still exist even if they haven't been re-run anywhere. I know some public domain DVD collections of them are out there so some episodes still survive, at least.

13. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I used to fanatically watch "Finder Of Lost Loves" starring Anthony Franciosa which was contemporary with "Fantasy Island" and "Love Boat", but much classier (Saturdays at 10 PM). Even though I understand that he was HORRID to work with, Mr. Franciosa exuded such class on-screen.....

14. JozefK

Why do people not read threads?

15. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I sincerely apologize for the thread crap.....

16. JozefK

It's not a thread crap if it's inadvertent. It's just that I want to keep this thread focused on the intended subject. "Shows that seem to be lost" deserve their own thread.

17. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Hardly lost: [​IMG]

18. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Full sets are both will be out on DVD pretty soon. Far from lost.

pblmow likes this.
  19. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

CBS didn't save a second of hockey. The reason the Orr goal is exists is the Bruins station, Channel 38 saved it.

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Lost TV show.
    What's the latest on the reboot?

21. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

How about the sorry tale of UK station TVS, who held the ITV franchise for the South of England from January 1982 to December 1992?

ITV, the UK's first commercial broadcaster, used to operate as a network of regional broadcasters, with some regions having different operators for weekdays and weekends. Each franchise operator contributed content to the network, and also produced a mandatory number of hours of exclusively local content too. Franchises occasionally came up for renewal, and some of the national franchises changed at the start of 1968, 1982 and 1993 because of this.

TVS (Television South) only held their franchise for 11 years. When they lost their franchise their somewhat incomplete archive of programming changed hands several times, and is now apparently owned by Disney. Unfortunately the paperwork pertaining to this programming became lost somewhere along the way, making it virtually impossible to broadcast or sell most of their programming as the rights holders simply aren't known.

One TVS production was the UK version of Fraggle Rock, which had different filmed inserts to the US version. Of the 96 episodes made, only 12 appear to have survived to make it onto DVD. Some other episodes exist as off-air copies made by fans.

goodiesguy likes this.
  22. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The episode of the Cleveland, OH teen music show Upbeat that featured The Velvet Underground?

[​IMG]

23. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Remember a "game show" from 1970 or so called Can You Top This. Paper Chase TV show John Housman.

24. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I read somewhere that the 1970s kid show, McDuff the Talking Dog, were lost in a fire. I only vaguely remember this show but as my parents TV could only pick up that one channel (NBC I think?) I was stuck watching it. A lot of those mid-1970s live action kids shows vanished without a trace - I've never seen Kids From CAPER, Big John Littlejohn or Monster Squad after their original run.

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  25. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Lift Off with Ayshea

a British TV show, produced by Granada Television for the ITV network, which ran for 144 editions spanning eight series, between November 1969 and December 1974. Of the 144 episodes made, it is only confirmed that three have survived in the ITV archives.

Episodes featured such artists as: John Baldry, Black Sabbath, Bay City Rollers, Kiki Dee, David Bowie, Wizzard, The Move, Cliff Richard, T. Rex, 10cc, and many many others.

According to an interview with Ayshea Brough in Record Collector, she had asked the BBC to make copies of the episodes for her, and had marked the tapes that were duplicates with an "X" to be erased. There were only a few tapes so marked, but due to incompetence on the part of whoever was handling the job for the BBC, all the tapes EXCEPT those few with the "X" mark were erased instead of the other way around.

Here's a photo of Ayshea with Roy Wood:
    [​IMG]

kwadguy and goodiesguy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.