Martin Scorsese to Direct SCTV Retrospective Special for Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Peace N. Love, Apr 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Always great to see the gang get back together. Maybe this will finally inspire Shout to shyte or get off the pot and release a COMPLETE set of the SCTV series on Blu. They've been sitting on that stuff forever and I always felt cheated when they reneged on plans to release the early half hour shows when the network 90 comps didn't sell well enough. Instead they did that crappy Early years comp, half of which had already been released and the other half focused on the one season where John and Catherine had temporarily left the show.

I know from experience that there was a lot of good stuff left on the floor from the Harold Ramis years. I'm grateful for what we have but I want it all!!!

3. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

This looks good! SCTV needs to be remembered!
    What's the deal with Rick Moranis? He never seems to be interested in reunions. Which is a shame because in the early 80s, the McKenzie brothers were it's most visible characters.

4. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

If it's just them being interviewed, I'm not that thrilled...we've heard most of the stories before. What a waste.

5. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

They actually did a McKenzie Brothers show for charity last year .
    'How's it going, eh?' Bob and Doug McKenzie help raise $325K in special show

MikaelaArsenault and O Don Piano like this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

While I'd like to get the shows not out already, I can't imagine Blu-ray will do much for "SCTV". Old videotape isn't going to benefit from 1080p - and lossless audio won't help crappy mono TV sound! :)

Blu-ray was good for "Freaks and Geeks" because they shot on film. Not saying there'd be zero boost for "SCTV" on BD vs. DVD, but can't imagine it'd offer a notable improvement.

Better to bring out all the unreleased episodes!

9. the pope ondine

yes, like snl.

10. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I'm much more interested in the Cinemax year than the early stuff....

11. the pope ondine

some good stuff but they were down to just 4 cast members and it kind of became the Martin Show show, I guess not a bad thing he was brilliant but not prime sctv (for me)

Vidiot likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

But we have to get early years - I need "Jaws 23" on DVD!

pablo fanques likes this.
  13. Holerbot6000

And the John Fistinyourface fix-it show and Moe Green's dialing for dollars and and and...

I remember waaaaaaaay back in the 70's, where I lived the SCTV half hour show came on right after SNL and we would laugh more at that half hour than we did at the whole 90 minute SNL show. There is gold in them thar hills. I am not familiar with the Cinemax stuff but that's why I want it all!

I don't care so much about it being on Blu. I just thought if they are going to re-release it, what the hell? I just see some really crappy shows get these lush, complete box sets and here is something truly worthy that just gathers dust in the Shout archives.

I know the knock on the show is that the comedy is extremely dated and that modern audiences might not get references to Merv Griffin and Joey Heatherton, etc. but that is all the more reason to get this thing released - while those of us who do remember this stuff are still young enough to laugh at it without an oxygen mask handy!!!

[​IMG]

14. Oatsdad

I'm biased but I think "SCTV" isn't especially dated. It didn't "go topical" to the same degree as "SNL", and many of the recurring characters are timeless.

The quality of the performances makes the skits amusing anyway. You don't need to know Merv Griffin to find Moranis's performance funny,,,

15. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Does this also mean that Netfilx might actually be getting the rights to the original programs? If somebody knows otherwise, please correct me, but as far as I know, SCTV has never been available on any streaming services.

OldSoul likes this.
  16. Holerbot6000

Not so much topical as just a celebration of Old Hollywood. Seeing John Candy dressed as Shelly Winters chasing the catering guy across a sound stage is a lot funnier if you know who Shelly Winters was. Seeing JC as Orson Welles blabbering on about some ridiculous Magic theory while Merv sits in rapt attention is a lot funnier when you've seen the real thing. I've heard a lot of people (generally younger) tell me they don't really get it because they don't have a frame of reference.

You're right though - anyone should be able to appreciate things like Johnny LaRue, the McKenzies and Vikings and Beekeepers. These are some very funny people regardless.

I still want it all now though. Have I made that abundantly clear? :nyah:

17. Peace N. Love

I'd be happy if they were to uncover some lost episodes of "Curtiss Edgett, Plainclothes Mountie".

18. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

This looks good. Hopefully it leads to Netflix showing the entire series and the release of the remaining episodes on DVD. I will buy all of those episodes.

MarkTheShark likes this.
  19. Holerbot6000

People keep mentioning Netflix - do Shout and Netflix have some kind of relationship?

20. Scorsese and SCTV - a natural combination. o_O

BluesOvertookMe and eddiel like this.
  21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Please get everyone involved this time!

22. Peace N. Love

It's unexpected (to me, at least), but then Scorsese always struck me as someone with a great sense of humor, so it's not perhaps surprising that he'd be an SCTV fan. But as to doing this project? Well, I guess he's a big fan.

somnar likes this.
  23. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

A big fan of fine programming.

24. the pope ondine

25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'd imagine that quite a bit of it is still funny even if you have no frame of reference. Look at Monty Python - I found it hilarious as a kid a decade and half a world away from the stuff they were parodying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.