Why is U2 Vinyl always out of press?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

So either we are 2 unlucky guys or there will be a lot of returns (however dished is less problematic as warped).

I have exactly the same dishing !

PoeRaider likes this.
  2. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Was it pressed by GZ like The Joshua Tree Reissue last year, or was it pressed by Optimal like a post above mentioned it is shown on Discogs? Does the back cover of the jacket say 'Made in EU?'
    Thanks in advance.

3. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Mine is flat and clean.

Great sound in these grooves! I’m cranking ATYCLB right now and there is such detail throughout these songs.

jimhb and PoeRaider like this.
  4. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

All three reissues have 'Made In Germany' stickers on the back cover. ATYCLB is really sounding pretty darn good atm.

seaisletim likes this.
  5. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thanks. Germany would most likely be Optimal or Pallas, so assume Optimal, since it was mentioned above as listed on Discogs.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    PoeRaider likes this.
  6. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I do already have great vinyl pressings of the two U2 albums I want most (Unforgettable Fire & Joshua Tree).
    I would get Achtung, if it were readily available and not $100+

azjvm05 likes this.
  7. Mean Dorris

Mean Dorris Forum Resident

Received both POP and ATYCLB today from Amazon UK.

Got to say POP is just OK, mix sounds a little muddy. Quite a bit of crackle coming through on D1 (Velvet Dress) - will give a wet clean and see if improves, anyone else have the same issue?

My ATYCLB is flat at least, not given it a spin as yet....

8. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Just played ATYCLB from Amazon UK. Perfect pressing, quiet and flat vinyl and nice dynamic sound. It had a lot of paper debris on it straight out of the sleeve but just needed to give it a quick clean. Not noisy in any sense.

Dbstay likes this.
  9. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

What are the chances of Achtung Baby getting reissued again on vinyl?

10. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

Just getting started with Pop now. My pressing of this one is not dished at least, nice and flat. Also has CB/SS in the deadwax. I've always found this album murky and bass-heavy. A top contender for a remix, in my book. But I guess that would change it's character, maybe not what U2 want. Sounds about how I remember through headphones atm.

My ATYCLB had a bit more crackle than I expected, even after washing. This one seems quieter so far. Will watch for D1.

11. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

Just picked up my two copies at my LRS (local record shop). Can’t wait to unwrap them and give them a spin, but busy as heck all weekend so that probably won’t happen til Monday :(

12. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

The next big anniversary of the album will be in 2021 which seem very far from now. :(
    I can imagine U2 releasing all their albums again like Pop and ATYCLB now. Otherwise why did they create the great hype sticker for each album of the new releases?
    Maybe it isn't even linked to anniversaries anymore as Pop came out 21 and ATYCLB 18 years ago.
    As much as I like bands re-releasing their albums either as vinyl edition or deluxe edition with demos etc. I think it should not be linked to anniversaries anymore as it seem to cause a lot of problems and time issues. Just release the stuff and make the fans happy! :D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    azjvm05 and Porkpie like this.
  13. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Wonder if we get 30th Anniversary of Rattle and Hum this October

14. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

Velvet Dress was smooth sailing on my copy, just a few light clicks. I do wash and vacuum new records before playing, fwiw.

Mean Dorris likes this.
  15. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

about 100% chance. As the price they are asking for these reissues is a total joke. The money keeps rolling in to their tax havens.

16. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

Well I lied, I got home and the wife said she is headed to Costco. That leaves me alone to do whatever I want, so that means a Corona and crank up ATYCLB.

My copy is flat as a pancake, but is noisy between songs. When actual dB’s kick in, it’s incredible and better than it was in 2000 when I heard it for the first time.

JannL and PoeRaider like this.
  17. Tartifless

Wash it once and the crackles are gone, even if it looks clean it isn't !

18. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

And the dirt is gone...

19. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I have Page & Plant No Quarter and Walking Into Clarksdale, and Radiohead's OK Computer and Kid A (2x10"). I can't remember others from around that time.

Really surprised Achtung Baby has been OOP on vinyl for so long. Great record, and a big hit to boot. I still have mine from '91, so wouldn't be interested in a reissue, but might be up for some of the later stuff.

20. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

I hate to sound dumb but what does dished mean?

21. Tartifless

When the disc is like a bowl.
    The center is not level with the side.

So when you lay it one side, the side does not touch the ground, and on the other side the center does not touch the ground.

22. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

AYCLB has been ruined for me...all I can associate this with is football (beautiful day). I hate it when they ruin it by using music for ads and TV shows...:(

jimhb and azjvm05 like this.
  23. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Got ATYCLB today. One of my favorite U2 albums. Stellar tunes front to back. This reissue is a great package. It sounds good, the record is flat and there are only a few noticeable ticks. Also really appreciative of the included download which is 44/16 WAV. Wish HTDAAB had the same download offered...

Joey_Corleone, Ken.e. and JannL like this.
  24. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Mine is great. I cleaned it like I do with all new and used vinyl I buy. Sounded good and loved the packaging with the book. I bought Pop as well. It's been cleaned as well and will check it out this weekend. Pop looks great as well.
    Hope to see a few more U2 vinyl releases but ATYCLB is one of my favorite so it will keep me happy for a while.

dee likes this.
  25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Pop & ATYCLB just arrived here. Listening to the later and I'm really happy. Sounds great. Good work by Mr. B.

By the matrix info, it appears to be an Optimal pressing.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.