‘Lost In Space’ series reboot in the works

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

2. I personally don’t want to see a remake of the original show. Let’s see where this goes.

agentalbert and Encuentro like this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Been reading some reviews and they're not great. The one in Variety savaged it, elsewhere they've been less critical, but not glowing. They tend to acknowledge the expensive looking sets and cinematography but criticize it for being bland, aimless and the characters uninspiring. Even Parker Posey as Dr Smith is underwritten, hmmm. Surprisingly, they say the Robot is actually one of the better characters.

daglesj likes this.
  4. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I'm old enough to remember watching the bloody thing when it was a new show back in the 60s. I was like 8 years old and couldn't stand the Dr. Smith character.

I watched the trailer and I will at least watch one episode only for the fact that Parker Posey is in this. Plus I kind of like Tobey Stevens who was Captain Flint in Black Sails.

5. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I can't imagine a reboot being that interesting. I loved the show as a child, but it's charm was a product of the times. The idea of space travel and encountering aliens was more novel in the mid 1960's. Things like the robot's claws that shot out electricity as a weapon seemed pretty cool in 1966 but would seem pitiful today. So many movies and shows have improved on the ideas since then that I can't see how it will be interesting.

For me, the best part of the show was Dr Smith - such a evil cowardly villain. I was always hoping that Don would finally be allowed to beat the tar out of Dr Smith after some dastardly deed that almost got the rest of the family killed.

I'll probably watch an episode out of curiosity.

rburly likes this.
  6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

As a kid I felt this weird loyalty to a favorite; Zorro! So much so that I couldn't see Guy Williams (his Hollywood name, as he's of Latino descent) in his role in LIS. As a child, comparatively speaking, I just thought the show in general, and his role in particular, was SO lame! Y'know what? I STILL do! I'd watch Zorro reruns any time over LIS!;)

7. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

The original was a good idea badly executed. Chintzy, unimaginative and tedious. What it did have was a memorable troupe of actors and this new bunch is very low key but I like them all right. I do like Molly Parker and some of the fresh plot twists are intriguing so I'll continue watching and childhood memories will not color my judgement.

8. Great review in LA Times. Parker Posey as Dr Smith !!!! Love it.

jpelg and dbacon like this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL...I could not disagree with you more...everything about the original LOST IN SPACE was what made it great...this piece of hogwash is NOT LOST IN SPACE nor has anything remotely to do with it...

rburly and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  10. Michael

I would not expect anything less! HAHA!

11. Michael

then make another show without the title of LOST IN SPACE...see where it goes? canceled; not to be continued next week...

12. I think the premise of the original series is strong enough to be reinterpreted. Having watched the first two episodes, it's pretty good so far. It literally jumps right in and tells us in flashback about the story before they left and introduces Major West and Dr. Smith in interesting. different ways.

Mazzy and Michael like this.
  13. Michael

I honestly wish I could feel like you do about this...you're a better man than I my friend...the whole thought sickens me...like re-recording Meet The Beatles by a new boy-band...The show is that sacred to me as strange as that may sound to some...

14. But Lost In Space itself is just a futuristic telling of Swiss Family Robinson. I enjoy LIS as much as you, but it's not like it was an original idea.

Michael likes this.
  15. Michael

regardless...dude it was part of my childhood in real time. Not re-runs, etc...can I have this? my memories, etc and NOT have to accept a modern audience pleasing character mishmash? PLEASE! : )

16. Nah, it doesn't sound strange. I can relate but I thought I would give it a chance. This has just enough familiarity and yet different enough to make it interesting for me. I think that the fact that they didn't go the route of a strict remake works in the shows favor. The first episode plays like "The Martian" combined with "LIS" It looks fancy and, although the series drags a bit (I'm on episode 4), it stays somewhat true to the story arc established in the pilot of the original series. Some of the newer concepts here work pretty well. I say give it a chance...the worst that can happen is a waste of time and it won't sully the memory of the original show as its still there.

17. Have you watched it yet ?

ST Next Generation took off on the original and reworked it well . Also Fargo, MASH and a few others.

LA times liked Lost In Space. The potential is there.

And remember the Robinson named Came from Robinson Cruso.

18. Michael

Thanks...you're a good dude bro...But...FORGETIT! LOL.

wayneklein likes this.
  19. Michael

I've explained my reasoning above. : ) Of course they did...LOL.

20. I've been reading some mixed reviews online but, as far as family based science fiction entertainment, it's pretty good. I do think that the series does feel a bit padded but it is interesting. It does play like "Terra Nova" in some respects (which is what others compared it to) but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The thing I do admire is that, for the most part, the show doesn't gloss over the threats to the family members nor what it does to them emotionally and yet it stays true to keeping it a family show--no mean feet as I'm sure the temptation was there to sex it up and make it more like "Altered Carbon" to get viewers to tune in.

I agree that the concept is solid enough to take the revisions that happen here.

Fav line so far:

"It's like bumper cars. Where everybody dies".

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  21. Deesky

Yikes! :yikes:

That's what I read too (will start watching soon). It's a family show that the whole family, of all ages, can watch together. And that's perhaps main reason it's been criticized as being bland and somewhat aimless (padded out, as you say). I guess you could say that in this regard it also mirrors the original.
    If they did that, then people would criticize it for being a LIS ripoff! :)

Mazzy likes this.
  22. To be fair, it reflects the good aspects of Terra Nova.

23. Michael

so be it!

24. Watched the first two episodes. Really good. Enjoyed it. Not dark but also not network sappy.

Great production value and I’m in for the long haul.

25. Deesky

Seen the first five. I have to say I was really bored. Sure, they front loaded the first couple of eps with action sequences which held some interest, but it all felt a little too manufactured. The subsequent episodes just dragged and veered into soap territory.

The actors were all fine, the kids cute, but the flip attitude they had most of the time just didn't reflect the seriousness of their situation. I liked how they worked in the Dr Smith character, but her motivation seemed a bit shallow.

As for hardware design, not terribly inspired. The interior of the Jupiter looked pretty decent, but the exterior, not so much. Didn't like the Chariot design at all and the Robot was just a generic Transformer type deal.

Someone was also needed to vet the distances they kept using for the star system they find themselves in. They've used trillions of miles, to a billion billion miles, to a trillion lightyears (that's orders of magnitude bigger than the observable universe)!!!

While only half way through, the finale seems obvious as a
    CGI robo-transformer battle with the Robinsons!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.