The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

I only got into MSG about a month ago... but I agree. Fantastic dynamics and tonal diversity on that album... propelled by a signature Cozy performance. "On And On" is a spectacular track... along with "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie". Gary Barden had such a cool voice.

kyouki, Scott222C, slipkid and 2 others like this.
  2. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Somewhere else, sometime ago, one or two members started defending/feting Somewhere In Time and 'Seventh Son... with fair vigour.

Clearly, it's all opinion but I do respect most around these parts and as I did then, I shall do now.

Which is to say, go back and replay to reappraise which when it comes to Metal, is rarely a chore!

I like your point about the guitar tone's appropriateness for the style of the album but certainly can't find vague consensus with the idea that this album is the summit of 'Maiden recordings, sound-wise.

However, I always find it edifying to take up others' metallic passions and flavour my platter accordingly: there's no denying that this album is a bit different.

ian christopher likes this.
  3. Trillmeister

OOF - I like the cut of yer jib! :righton:

4. Trillmeister

That time "1m50secs" is with the CD track readout in countdown mode, just in case anyone thought I'd been at it since dawn..!

Subjective production values on the album are properly out of sight, I must say and it's nice to hear Scott Travis effecting a less frenetic style as per the Painkiller technique and delivering a huge sluice of rhythm far more in keeping with something redolent of 'Priest classicism.

I just can't get over how 'vital' Rob sounds, though.

Retire? Halford? Pah!

ian christopher and Curveboy like this.
  5. Without doubt Firepower is a superb album...let alone one for a band probably near its end.
    Production is much better than Redeemer Of Souls although typical of Andy Sneaps style. I'll take it tho...we are never gonna get the sheer organic analog bliss of Priest's 70's output.

6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

This song haunts me...Spectre indeed.

7. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

only drawback to the video is that Rob's eerie vocal Middle-Eight is edited out. One of the best parts of the song, and Rob's best vocal personality/performance in a long time.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. ian christopher

Been on a huge Accept kick lately - a band that was completely under my radar for too many years.

I sense that Balls To The Wall - while a good song - is a bit like the Achilles Heel that "Enter Sandman" is for Metallica (more simple and less diverse as a song than so many more of their compositions).

Metallica comes to mind also, in the fantastic rhythm guitar (to say nothing for his lead mastery) of Wolf Hoffman. He has an incredible right hand attack! Fast as A Shark and Breaker are two more well known songs that highlight his incredible riffing ability, but here's a lesser known gem (Mr. Hoffman indeed gives Mr. Hetfield a run for his money!) :

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    kyouki, vonseux and jeffgt14 like this.
  9. ian christopher

so many of Accept's songs feature two fantastic chorus sections. Russian Roulette features the crunching "war games" chorus, and a glorious, soaring "what a lie to say I'm immortal" secondary chorus that bookends Wolf's great lead.

Very very impressed by this band. From a song construction perspective alone, Accept is a class A heavy metal act.

10. ian christopher

Breaker may be my overall favorite Accept slab - just a bit of that 70's grit to the guitars - and a very groovy rhythm section that would become just a bit lost in the polish of 80's production standards come the Balls to the Wall era.

Trillmeister and jeffgt14 like this.
  11. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

One of the most consistently great bands of the 1980s.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  12. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Great call...excellent band finally got to see them last October - phenomenal live band.

13. Trillmeister

Yammers, I know what you mean but the presence of Col. T. Allom in the production suite has tempered the 'contemporary Acceptified Sneapism' quotient - which to be frank - I bloody love, anyway!

True, that 70s 'breathability' is forever gone but the ex-Sabbatian has a delightful way of corralling Metal recordings into such a forceful, full bodied sound that whilst there is a certain 'samey signature' to the result, it's one so dripping in classicism (I dunno, maybe redolent of the sonic triumph throughout Balls To The Walls, say) that I can easily overlook any charge involving the facsimilie.

By the way, today's first random Song Of Greatness for the Mountain King - 'Witchfinder General' - the title track from the opus of the same name.

(Although the day has kicked off with something truly special - Vinnie Moore's cascading break during UFO's 'Mr. Freeze' from 2004's You Are Here which is precisely what the world needs a bloody great dose of, right now.)

Yam Graham and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Trillmeister

Here's a stellar example of The Seminal unleashing an unapologetic melodic romp that simply doesn't let up, from the late 90s: Sonic Origmai.

Layered harmonies underscoring Bernie Shaw's terrifically powerful vocal with Phil Lanzon reprising that oh-so evocative 'Heepish Hammond and old Micky Box tearing it up and wah-wahing at each and every opportunity: a fitting adieu to Messrs Byron and Thain, to be sure.

Adding to the bliss be Pip Williams's faultless time behind the wall of twiddle, ensuring a meaty deliverance that demands crankage.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    carlwm likes this.
  15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I think TV War and Heaven Is Hell are two incredibly underrated metal tunes.
    All you need...is the holy ghost

16. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

One of the most overrated metal albums ever made. Their first two albums are far superior.

17. Trillmeister

Many long time fans default to Restless & Wild which is understandable but I tend towards your leanings on this.
    :cheers:

18. Trillmeister

Hang on, I've just played 'Princess Of The Dawn,' c/o the original issue HMI XD 6 CD which sounds damn fine and I'm thinking - is this not Wolf & co's peak?

Ach! Both these albums are the stuff of metallic dreams.

19. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Anybody else ever go on a rampage thinking they had a defective Restless & Wild disc when hearing Princess of the Dawn for the first time?

20. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Finally got Hell Bent For Leather (AF)Gold $40 used man! About as good of a deal I was going to find nowadays. I have never upgraded my old Vinyl to CD of JP. Heard not so great things about the Re-Masters and never really thought to figiure out what was out there that was "good" mastering wise? I found a lot like the Original '80s CDs for the early titles? I also just got Stained Glass(CK-35296 DIDP070034) and will listen to that later.Any thoughts? HBFL sounds great to me and I believe @GodShifter mentioned Delivering The Goods as one of his favorite tracks on the Top 5 JP songs thread? If I recall correctly of course. I forgot about that one. Great song. Favorite part of that song is at the end of the Bridge section when Rob hits that high note and holds it as the 3rd verse starts .Thus the vocals overlapping each other to fantastic effect IMO!Every time, I find myself almost breaking the volume knob off trying the crank it past 11 at that point of the song!!!:evil: Louder!!!This needs to be louder than it already is!!!!:laugh:

GodShifter, Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  21. Natvecal.

Judas Priest-Sin After Sin Early US CD? Thoughts? I have found the '93 (Sony)Colunbia CD so far.Is this a good one? Or is there an earlier one?Curious...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

For early Priest, I really like SWOD and Rocka Rolla from the Repertoire label. For all others, the original Columbia CD's work just fine. The one exception is Sin After Sin which tends to sound rather dismal on any release. For this one the '01 remaster works just as well as the '87 Columbia. YMMV...

Matthew Tate and Natvecal. like this.
  23. Natvecal.

Thanks.Always more than meets the eye(or in this case ,ear?) to just getting the early CDs of every JP release. There's always one that's the fluke or whatever you want to call it. And this is why I ask. Thanks for the info on SAS.

24. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

Ooh. Am going to go and seek this out now! Was just listening to my needledrop of DGMGE in the car and it reminded me what a great album that was... Those two albums with NM really saw them mature into a very accomplished blues tinged hard rock band...