The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

If Bob Menke would ever agree to allow new transfers of his Beta HiFi's of these Betty Boards to be circulated, we would have better sounding versions available, without all the digital gremlins on these old PCM's.

2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

3-24-73 was on my agenda for today. Hopefully I can work it in.

Edit: just starting it up now, a couple of flubs already in Bertha, but a good solo and all is forgiven. It looks like the Sing Me Back Home here is one of the last versions they ever played; it would be dropped after a couple more performances in 1973.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  3. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Morning coffee with 11/8/70, Capitol Theater.

I'm just a huge fan of 1970. Those acoustic first sets and high energy 2nd sets are so freakin good. Pig Pen on Operator, Ripple, Rosalie, etc.. yum yum

Morning Dew opening for electric set .......

Will never take the archives for granted. Boy are we lucky.

Zafu

4. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

GDTRFB is also cut.

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

listening to the 3 cd fillmore west 1969 set.

Billy_Sunday, NorCal, Zafu and 2 others like this.
  6. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Best of all, the movie soundtrack is still in print and a steal at its current price. I have been meaning to grab another copy.

7. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm assuming you mean the version that's the penultimate track on Disc 3 of the 5-CD soundtrack from 10/18/74. I have to confess that I don't think that I've ever listened to this until just now. Jerry does indeed have a mirth to his playing (much like on Ladies and Gentlemen...) and the band is fully invested. So, thanks for the heads up. Sometimes just owning something doesn't ensure actually appreciating it, especially when a porch crusher is merely a drop in the bucket.

That said, I'm not much of an anniversary type of listener, but it is 4/14...Copenhagen or bust!

8. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Well, what do you know, I actually have a file on my PC called "GDMovieFlaws"... too funny:

1) The Grateful Dead Almanac stated that the soundtrack restores all
    of the songs performed live in the movie to their full length. This
    is not true for Eyes of the World on CD One (track 5). The song is
    edited and there is about 5 minutes of the song missing!! THIS IS AN
    OUTRAGE!!

2) There is quite a bit of static on CD 3 at about 12:20 to 12:40 into
    Morning Dew (track 4).

3) There is another bit of static at 3:11 during GDTRFB (CD 3 track 6).

4) There is a tracking problem during the last 30 seconds of CD 5
    (track 10). I have tried playing the CD on different players with the
    same result; the CD either skips continuously or will cease playing.

5) There is a really bad edit or skip at 9:02 of Playing in the Band
    (CD 1 track 7).

6) There is another bad edit or skip during CD 2 track 10 at 1:38 (Casey Jones).

This is an excerpt from the actual email sent to GDP. I think I have mellowed a bit since I wrote this.

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember "Goin' Down The Road" from the movie being one of the Dead performances that hooked me back in the early 90's.

KCWhistle, trd, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  10. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Regardless of when it was sent, I suspect TPTB@GDP know the writing is on the wall when they stop receiving this sort of thing from fans. I'm not sure who's on which end of the leash, us or them.

11. Archtop

You must have been me in a former life. :nyah:

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Looks like Charlie has a set of December 1981 SBDs to share for those of you who are curious about that month. First one up yesterday, 12/7/81 Des Moines.

Crispy Rob, adamos, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  13. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Love this show so much. That Jerry pedal solo on LLR is worth the price of admission.

14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Isn't there a killer performance of The Wheel from that month? I'm sure someone has a better memory than me :yawn:

15. Ezzie

Ezzie Plunging like stones from a slingshot on Mars

47 Years ago today Davis gym, really groovy show...

Arch, my Wild are getting beat up, :realmad: but I'm also a Bruins fan and they look really good. Go Go B's :righton::righton::righton:

ianuaditis and Archtop like this.
  16. Archtop

Winnipeg has really thrown down the gauntlet and brought the thunder so far, but MN is tough at home, so keep the faith. It's been fun to watch so far.

Meanwhile, I am undertaking something new. I'm going to listen to the whole 4/14/72 show. Currently on Loser so far; I'll make it. So much of this is on E'72 that I've never really given it the attention it deserves.

17. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Popped the first disc of GD Movie soundtrack into the car this morning for my trip through the canyons of Laguna and up to Corona and almost had to pull off the road for that China Rider jam. I am floored. Good tears here, just beautiful!

18. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

here's some never before seen photos from 7/31/74. they were taken by my friend who also took the 3/23/72 photo included in the official release 3/26/72 cd booklet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Disc 1 of my copy is still stuck in my car CD player. I am prepared to completely dismantle it in order to retrieve it. It's on my 'when I get around to it' list.
    That is really cool. There's a picture somewhere of 'the short period in GD history where Phil is fatter than Jerry,' (sometime in 78-80 I think,) here we have 'the short period in GD history where Phil has a beard and Jerry is clean shaven.'

20. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Garcia had the most appropriate beard in rock history

21. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Charlie Miller has been very busy over the last couple of days. Lots of new and upgraded music released.

22. Champagne Boot

Phil is Brent, Jerry isn't Jerry, Finkle is Einhorn.

23. Champagne Boot

Listening to this new AUD remaster of the Holbrook/Pinney tape of 4/17/83 that just popped up on Etree/the Archive. Jerry's solo on Cassidy could peel paint off the walls. Tape sounds great, too.

24. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

A variation on "Weir everywhere". You can't do much better than a psychedelically striped trippin' bear if your world's been blacknwhite to that point. Perhaps in a few years he'll be ready to hear the colours - "oh my gosh!" :) . For the heartless pedantics, thread-relevant content begins at 2:03.

25. trd

trd Forum Resident

I’m continuing my stroll through the summer of 1974 this afternoon with RT 2.3, selections from 6/16 and 6/18

Really fun China->Rider to start this CD set. Very unique stuff from Bob early in the jam which then builds into a dissonant ball of frenzy energy before dropping into feelin groovy and then, finally, the Rider.