Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Nicely thought out and presented. Made the album sound a lot more interesting to me than I think the actual release is.

I refer to @mrjinks thoroughly compiled poll as my chief reference work when it comes to seeing what the overall forum viewpoint is on McCartney albums: which is a solid #12, one rank below "New" and one above "Memory Almost Full" (and two above "Red Rose Speedway").

I just listened to Egg yesterday and don't see any reason to elevate it from my own personal ranking of #17. (I have Red Rose Speedway WAY up the list, in my top 5.)

But, again, I enjoyed reading your well put together post.

2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I’m with you. It’s such a lot of effort to say so little. “Radio play me a song with a point", indeed.

Note: as I was typing this, listening to my iTunes on random, “The Broadcast” came on, instead of one of the other 16,396 songs it could have chosen.

4. I think Spin It On’s nod to punk rock showed that McCartney wasn’t tone deaf to the musical revolution going on around him. Getting Closer had a New Wave vibe to it, too.

5. People might not be able to name a track out of the blue, but play a snippet of Getting Closer or Arrow Through Me and they will probably at least vaguely recognize it due to radio play back in the day.

Mr. Explorer, JDeanB and longdist01 like this.
  6. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Definitely. Good observations both.

Mr. Explorer and longdist01 like this.
  7. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

With all the egg puns, I am fried. Seriously though, and coincidentally I found a pristine copy of the 93 BTTE in my favourite second hand store (Relics, Leeds UK) today and had to buy it as my copy has the booklet outer sleeve missing. This should prompt the Deluxe version to be announced soon LOL.
    Also, HMV Leeds had copies of the Hear Music OTG and DR (which I didn't know they'd done until reading this thread) and this was strange as I have never seen them in there before. Must be old stock they've found.

8. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Were these CDs or vinyl? (assuming CD)

longdist01 likes this.
  9. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Your assumption is correct - CD.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  10. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Thanks, saves me a trip in to town in the morning then!

Oyster Boy likes this.
  11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

MPL is scrambling to get the sign off from Paul and then get those presses running!

[​IMG]

Mr. Explorer, Sean and Oyster Boy like this.
  12. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I would just like to see the rest of the 70s albums done.

supermd, Oyster Boy, JDeanB and 3 others like this.
  13. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I think most of us would but that has nothing to do with the price of tea in China or what MPL may do. Think we'll get them eventually but all silent right now

14. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

If Macca’s looking for a revisionist take on Back To The Egg, here’s one: it’s Wings’ Abbey Road. The end of a decade. The end of the band. One last push, one last line-up to go out on a high. A b-side medley (of sorts).

I don’t think anyone has mentioned the Rockestra documentary either. I’d love to see a high quality version of this. There might be rights issues because of all the people involved, such as “Bruce Thomas from the Elvis Costello Band”.

15. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

It’s my favourite Mccartney album. It may not be his best but I love the diversity and the feel/experimentation of the whole thing.

16. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I don't think we realize that Paul, not touring after '76, was spending all his time in the UK, and UK radio in the late 70s was VERY different than US radio - there was very little convergence at time between the songs that were popular - so Paul on BTTE is releasing an album that has much more in common with the UK than the US

17. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

...and BTTE was produced by Chris Thomas, who had done the Sex Pistols.

18. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Yeah okay, but none of that is especially interesting. Getting a new Wings line-up, um, again. That begs the question: why couldn't McCartney keep his band together? Recording in a castle... yeah, so? What's to say? The, um, architecture was really interesting...

Sure, Rockestra might be interesting if you wanna hear about how McCartney worked with a bunch of obscure old rock n roll dinosaurs. To be fair, that may all be interesting to us but it isn't something that I think MPL would consider interesting from a wider buyer's perspective. Its not as if Rockestra was a bunch of happening new talents that produced a slew of hits (like his work with Jackson). I mean, Press To Play - an album I love - has nothing beyond first-album-in-my-new-studio and working-with-a-cool-producer to its credit. Who cares about either of those things?

Doesn't that just reaffirm that he'd lost the plot and had gone from being a leader, an innovator to just being an old bloke trying desperately to jump on whatever new bandwagon there was?

My point is that, beyond the esoteria of fandom, there's very little of interest to build a narrative around. The remaining albums are just conveyor belt product.

19. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I must have missed the post you refer to. I've "liked" it after the fact because you've pretty much said all I could have said about the album. Utterly over-rated. We'll agree to disagree over the merits (or otherwise) of Spin it On and the reggae reprise of We're Open Tonight, and I think Baby's Request - had it been a Beatles' song - would be one of his most loved tracks. I think it's fabulous. But beyond a handful of excellent moments - I love Old Siam Sir despite it's inane lyric - this album really isn't a very good effort at all. I can't help but think that if he'd issued it in the mid 1980s it would be considered one of those "McCartney flails around looking for a contemporary sound to get a hit out of" failures.

OobuJoobu and Mr. Explorer like this.
  20. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Probably my favorite of the Wings albums. I hope that when it is archived the second disc is Wings Last Flight concert which should get a proper release. Anyone that has the live bootleg knows what I am talking about. It's a board sourced bootleg that you know Macca intended to release. Also...try and follow the formula of the 'Eggs Up bootleg and fit 'Cage' and anything else from that era on the album/cd. I think I have one of the archive releases and haven't bought the others because they don't impress me at all as far as new material or re-mastering goes. I'd like to purchase this...but they need to knock it out of the park and finally give the fans what they want as far as unheard material goes.

JDeanB likes this.
  21. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

...or Paul could just ignore the whole Archive Collection series and instead release a series of answers to incredibly banal questions and put new coloring pages on his website. Priorities, man.

22. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

It doesn't sound like Back to the Egg is one of your favorites. I don' think the album needs a 'narrative' necessarily. Did RAM really have a narrative? I don't believe so, but I don't think most people would disagree that it was worthy of a deluxe edition.

There are a handful of albums in McCartney's catalog that stand out, if only because they are a departure. McCartney II is an obvious example. Press to Play, albeit a less successful one. And I think Back To The Egg can be considered a departure for Wings. And in my mind, it's one of the more artistically successful ones. It's a fun album that somehow blends old, 1930s-1940s radio with modern punk sounds, as if someone is spinning a radio dial. Some of the tracks even have a 'live' sound to them, almost live-in-the studio or like they were recorded in an aircraft. Hanger. Memories. To me, the album sounds inspired.

And while I love Speed of Sound (well, most of it) and London Town (for the folky, acoustic sound) they aren't that adventurous or inspired (imho).

I'd definitely welcome a box set for this release. As others have mentioned there's plenty that could be included. Hey, maybe you'll reevaluate it and become more of a fan of it, who knows.

23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Well, I mean, if you're gonna go that far, we may as well label McCartney himself a rock'n'roll dinosaur and have the 'wide buyer' not buy any more archive editions - ha, as if they ever did!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I've said it before. I'd be happy if they just released the two-disc deluxe editions of the last Wings albums, with the related b-sides and unreleased tracks. I have no interest in videos, books or ephemera. And then some stand-alone releases, like the '72-'73 tour, and Glasgow '79. I don't understand why this has to be so difficult...???

25. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well, he doesn't seem to have been active musically since 2006. [At least not that I can find.]

Depending on how well his books have sold, he just might welcome a payoff from an MPL release... [of course, I don't know how much he would get from an BTTE Archive release, either]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.