Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

I always thought so as well. Until I recently exchanged all my power cables, interconnects, and the power strip. The package came with a full money back guarantee, so no risk to give it a try. I was perfectly prepared to send everything back. Much to my surprise, the audible difference is significant.

I love digital, but to reach a SQ that indeed copies analog, you easily find yourself in a five digit price range.

tmtomh likes this.
  2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Any playback medium where the signal to noise ratio goes negative is a non-starter as far as I'm concerned when it comes to "high fidelity".

Sorry, not sorry.

F1nut and Bill Mac like this.
  3. Postercowboy

I had the Sony whatever-H 1 multiplayer for a short while: The drive of this machine was so loud, that it was clearly audible in quiet passages of the music. This started to drive me crazy, so I sold it off again.

I mostly listen to acoustic instruments these days, mostly Jazz and bit of Classical. To me, the total absence of surface noise is nothing short of a blessing. You simply do not get total background silence with vinyl.

Being a lazy bastard, I also like to pop in a disc and sit through it from beginning to end. I see those 45 rpm vinyls all over the place these days. I don‘t doubt that they sound better, but getting up every eight minutes to change the disc? Thanks, but no thanks.

RubenH, mongo and tmtomh like this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Without going through the long thread. Do I understand that Oppo still "exists" but will only be selling current stock and will be available for repairs?

I have a 105 and would like to think I would be able to get it fixed if something goes wrong with the thing.

5. Postercowboy

That‘s what they say. Support and repairs continue and there will also be firmware updates.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I've mentioned this before but... It is not "down" converting to PCM. It is converting to PCM keeping a very close approximation of the DSD resolution.

quicksrt, rbbert and The Beave like this.
  7. knappster007

knappster007 New Member

Got lucky. Called the Chicago Best Buy Magnolia Design Center the moment they opened last Saturday. Drove up to Chicago and picked up my Oppo 205 today (it arrived yesterday). I was the last person at their store to get an order through. At least most of those who didn't get one now can likely get a 205 in June from Oppo. Looking forward to hooking it up and hearing the difference it will make in my music system.

8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

PCM is typically higher resolution than DSD. 24/96 for example exceeds the standard DSD resolution found on SACDs. It certainly encodes more info. In theory it's tougher to build cheap PCM decoders though, which should be easier with DSD.

In practice, so much work has gone into PCM and so many devices have been made they've gotten really good at it.

9. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

How long your 105 will operate perfectly is anyone's guess. However, many of us here have had extremely good luck. There are even reports of the ancient 980 still working perfectly today.

As well, we don't know if Oppo's commitment to service these machines means for another year or another ten years or something else.

I own a 203 and will, if given the opportunity, will buy a 205. I am pretty confident that they will last a long time.

The Beave, mpayan and Bill Mac like this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree. I'm confident that my 103, 105D and 205 will give me years of trouble free service. Hope I'm not jinxing myself by posting this :D.

11. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Then I'm certain we met a keg party at Florida State. Go 'Noles! :cheers:

Mazzy likes this.
  12. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

It's funny that there's no way to measure this. Isn't there any kind of objective way of figuring this out if all the units are built the same? Obviously user use varies, but aren't there any benchmarks (i.e. this many spins of a disc. This many hours. Etc?)

13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Obviously doing that with speakers isn't smart. But doing it with un-amplified vinyl is kinda neat. I was blown away as kid when I realized you could hear the music even without an amp if you spin vinyl and listen close. :eek:

(It's then I knew what "analog" truly meant. :-plnktn-:)

Mazzy likes this.
  14. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Oppo 205 in the House ;). Too tired from work to mess with it tonite. But will play this weekend. I am real curious to hear the improvement in the audio section and to see if it betters or equal to my darbee 105 on my plasma 1080p Panny on BDs and upscaling my Xbox One regular console (not the S version so its 1080p) ;) The wife and I agree gotta wait a little while longer for the 4K Oled until the wallet gets replenished ;)

thxphotog likes this.
  15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Excellent! I'm very happy with the 205 but have yet to play any movies. It's been non stop music since Wednesday. I also have a Panasonic plasma (60" GT50) and will look forward to you thoughts on the video of the 205 compared to the 105D. The 205 replaced a 105D as well.

Shvartze Shabbos and MikeJedi like this.
  16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Wanna flog off your 105?

lonelysea likes this.
  17. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

We have the exact same plasma!!!!!! Great minds think alike ! ;). Will definitely be posting my thoughts on it !! :)

Bill Mac likes this.
  18. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

An amazing oversimplification which to my mind just further muddies the waters. Back to the Oppo thread

19. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Coincidentally, I just recently hitched up a UDP-203 to my two channel system (using old, Straight Wire Maestro RCA interconnects into a Yamaha integrated). Did so while I waited for my Yamaha CD-S2100 to be repaired (for the second time).

I had an early Oppo 83 installed in my home theater setup and for years it was a total workhorse; never a problem. Upgraded to the 203 about a year ago when I installed a 4K OLED TV. I can count on one hand how many 4K Blu-rays I've since played on it - opting instead for 4K/HDR content from Netflix and AppleTV.

For two channel audio playback the Oppo 203 was better than I expected it to be, but inevitably nowhere near as good as the Yamaha player it's been standing in for (keep in mind that the Yamaha costs more than four times as much). The sound is very dynamic, with a great soundstage and excellent detail in the mid to high frequencies. The bass, however, is present but one-dimensional; lacking definition and anything resembling realism. The more I listen to it, the more it sounds like a decent car stereo system - dynamic and exciting but lacking the organic musicality of the Yamaha player.

I'm sure the 205 is worlds better. I'm even tempted to get one to replace the 203, in the unlikely (likely?) event that my dedicated player craps out on me again.

20. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Thanks for asking .. not at this point. ... but maybe in the future hard to say. ... I still really like it a lot right now ... ;). I would almost have a house full of oppos if I hadn’t sold my Bdp-83 (which I upgraded to the 105D at that time in 2014) as I still have a 980 that still works perfect. So I guess 3 Oppos I’m not that nuts. Lol. I am not sure why I still have the 980 tho. Maybe I always s think I’m going to use it in another system. That’s probably my thoughts on a lot of stuff. Once in a blue moon I sell some stuff when my condo has too much old equipment .. lol. I need another hobby Lol

Bill Mac and tmtomh like this.
  21. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I am glad I didn't sell my 103 when I bought a 205 a couple of months ago. I finally bought an all region kit for the 103 and added it as a second player for my Region B and PAL discs (and what few HDCDs I have). The only annoying thing is that the remote controls are on the same frequency so I keep turning on both players!

MikeJedi and tmtomh like this.
  22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

You can change the remote code/frequency, so they don’t conflict. First do it in the settings menu (1/2/3), then pick the corresponding code under the battery cover in the remote.

Bill Mac and tmtomh like this.
  23. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Thanks!

24. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator Note:

36 posts deleted.

This thread is aimed at discussing the end of OPPO and NOT vinyl vs digital formats. Please refrain from posts on this topic and stick to discussing the OPPO situation.

ZippyPippy, gd0, PATB and 16 others like this.
  25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Thank you

The Beave, chili555, Guss2 and 3 others like this.