2018 Nominees for Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Forum Resident

Apparently Illsley said last night that he asked the RRHOF if he could do it himself. I mean they could have said no and insisted on having someone but to be fair to them it sounds like it was his idea.

I would have to assume HBO will rearrange the order of the broadcast and put Bon Jovi on last. I would venture to guess that either the band, Howard Stern, or both insisted on going on first. Can't imagine the Rock Hall would have wanted it that way unless their hand was forced. Stern may have made it back home to New York by the time the ceremony ended ;)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    longdist01 likes this.
  2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

If I was Clapton... why would I take the time to come induct you if you can't even be bothered to show up for your own induction?

sunking101, Daryl M and longdist01 like this.
  3. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

The Moodys were the biggest draw, so if they do the old sho biz thing of saving the best for last, they should keep the Moodys as the final act. Likely that the Hall of Fame put them on last for that reason too. Bon Jovi has some avid followers, but their appeal overall is not as great as the Moody Blues.

Digital-G likes this.
  4. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

But yet somehow have kept Manowar out! :winkgrin:

Oatsdad and Murph like this.
  5. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Glad I didn't waste money on tix to not see Pinder perform. Never underestimate the Moodies' ability to disappoint fans. Thinking about converting to Bon Jovi.

6. Noted but Mick Jagger did it for The Beatles so why not?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Mick likes the spotlight far more than Clapton. Not saying it's a bad thing as he's in show-biz but they are very different people.

Matthew Tate and longdist01 like this.
  8. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

How do you figure the Moody Blues outdraw Bon Jovi? They don't have some cult following. They are playing basketball arenas on their current tour. In the last 20 years since I've been a Moody Blues fan they haven't played a basketball arena even once to my recollection.

9. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Howard Stern requested that he induct Bon Jovi first. Knowing Jann could probably give a crap about Bon Jovi, I'm sure he was fine with it. I heard Stern's speech and it was kinda goofy. But Bon Jovi is sort of a goofy, fun band so I guess it suited them.
    I did like how Stern roasted Jann. He deserves every bit of it by being so close minded regarding the worthiness of hard rock acts.

10. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

There was a super awkward moment at the post-show interview where someone asked if Richie will be on the next album.

Jon was all 'I think Richie has a solo career. Richie said 'I will if he asks me'. Cue painful silence.

11. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

here it is.

at about :20

12. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I loved seeing that picture of the 5 Bon Jovi guys in front of their own picture from the 1980's. I loved that band back then and I'm always happy when a group puts aside their BS and meets up for special occasions. The youngest of them is 56 so no kidding there's various degrees of wear and tear on them.

And if anything I was kind of impressed that not only did some journalist have the balls to ask them about working with Richie again (with Richie standing right there) but they all got their chance to say something without running out of the room crying like a bunch of babies. I respect when someone is mature enough to realize that they are forever linked to another person and the question is valid. So answer it as honestly and tactfully as you can and move on.

13. Nice combover, Sambora! :D

somnar likes this.
  14. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Update:

Image from video footage it appears my earlier post "No Denny or Mike" on stage was incorrect. Apologies.

Graeme, Denny & Mike are "brothers-in-arms" on stage during the video montage displayed at auditorium, [sorry for ironice Dire Straits pun] prior awards handed out! I didn't see Mike or Denny anywhere at the backstage interview footage online??

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Paul b

Paul b Forum Resident

So glad that Mike Pinder was there on stage when they were inducted BUT he did not say anything. Wonder if that was how he planned it or was he just "lost in the shuffle." Sadly neither he nor Denny performed with the band afterward.

longdist01 likes this.
  16. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Forum Resident

So yeah the HOF couldn't find anyone for Dire Straits. From Billboard.com:
    Dire Straits Talks Induction Speech
    Dire Straits John Illsley decided to handle the band’s induction speech himself on Saturday morning, when it became apparent the Rock Hall hasn’t found anybody to do it that night (Keith Urban and Neil Young were reportedly approached but declined). “We didn’t have anybody to induct us for all sorts of reasons.,” Illsley said in the press room, “so I said, ‘Would it be crazy if I did it?’ And (producer Alex Colleti) said, ‘What a great idea.’ I sort of wrote it about 15 minutes before we came down, so that why I had to read it out, because I couldn’t remember what I had written down.”

longdist01 likes this.
  17. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I love this tweet from earlier today...........if only it were true. (The Death Valley Girls are cool too)

Death Valley Girls on Twitter

Mick Collins rules!!!!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The Moody Blues Induction

19. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Why can’t the R&R HoF Induction ceremony be broadcast on network TV? Demographics?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I've been hoping they would do this for years!

In fact I'd rather they focus on that going forward and induct fewer acts. Maybe add LPs, tours or single concerts to the list as well.

danasgoodstuff and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Because it'd get worse ratings than the current Oscars. Nobody cares.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

On the SHF, the Moody Blues are a "bigger draw" than Bon Jovi.

In the real world, they're not even close. Bon Jovi remains a very popular band, whereas the Moodies are largely forgotten by the general public.

Honestly, in terms of current "drawing power", I'd put the Moodies 4th after Bon Jovi, the Cars and Dire Straits... :shrug:

23. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Honestly what other song apart from "Nights in white satin" do the average Joe of Jane know from the Moodies?

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Man, what a s*&t show. It's one thing that they've inducted all of the top top tier historical acts and so the starpower is somewhat dimmed - that was to be expected - but now the Moody Blues can't be bothered to really get it together and Dire Straits treat it like an annoyance (and the hall can't find someone to induct them?! - how much has the hall's stock dropped?)

The fact that there wasn't a big finale tune says it all: how anticlimactic would it have been to see that particular group of nominees play together? Ugh. Make it stop already.

25. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

Sounds like the Rock Hall did a s*** job of seeking out inductors.

Knopfler wanted Dylan or Clapton - but, when have you actually seen either of those two give an induction speech for another artist (other than maybe a long dead blues artist for Clapton)?

Have Urban or Young ever actually mentioned being influenced by Dire Straits? Sounds like the Rock Hall just wanted a "star" inductor.

Brandon Flowers and Ronnie Vannucci of the The Killers have both been vocal about their love for Dire Straits - I am sure one of them would have done it. (Yeah, I know Brandon inducted the Cars that same night).

Adam Granduciel of War on Drugs would have been the obvious choice - but, I highly doubt that the Rock Hall even asked him since he isn't "famous" enough.

longdist01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.