Rolling Stones Single-By-Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Here he is. I'm no great artist, but he's lasted almost 15 years. He's got all the Keith signatures (skull ring, handcuff bracelet, guitar).

2. Parachute Woman

Next we have the final single from Some Girls, only released in the US. It includes the first non-LP b-side since '74:

Shattered (1978)

[​IMG]
    Released: 11/29/78
    B-Side: Everything is Turning to Gold
    Charts: #31 (US)

"Shattered" is a song by The Rolling Stones from their 1978 album Some Girls. The song is a reflection of American lifestyles and life in 1970s-era New York City, but also influences from the English punk rock movement can be heard.

Recorded from October to December 1977, "Shattered" features lyrics sung in sprechgesang by Jagger on a guitar riff by Keith Richards. Jagger commented in a Rolling Stone interview that he wrote the lyrics in the back of a New York cab. Most of Richards' guitar work is a basic rhythmic pattern strumming out the alternating tonic and dominant chords with each bar, utilising a relatively modest phaser sound effect for some added depth. Due to the absence of bassist Bill Wyman, the bass track is played by Ronnie Wood.

"Shattered" was released as a single in the United States with cover art by illustrator Hubert Kretzschmar and in 1979 climbed to number 31 on the Billboard Hot 100.[1] The Rolling Stones performed the song live for an episode of Saturday Night Live.

A live version was captured during their 1981 tour of America and released on the 1982 live album Still Life. A second version, captured during the band's A Bigger Bang Tour, appears on Shine a Light. It would act as the opening song for the 1981 compilation Sucking in the Seventies, and the Stones included it on their career retrospective, Forty Licks, in 2002.

The 8-track tape of the Some Girls album features an edited version of "Shattered" clocking in at 2:45, with a shortened intro and guitar break. An instrumental version circulates among collectors.

3. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I just listened to that 8-track yesterday and yes Shattered is silly edited and it's quite obvious and odd. Great song though.
    shadoobie.

All Down The Line likes this.
  4. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

When I first heard Some Girls, among the most interesting songs on the record was the last one. I can't think of another Stones song quite like "Shattered". It's sort of funk but with a very slight punk edge to it. There's no set of lyrics quite like those for "Shattered". I remember being just so amused by this song. The eighties band Bodeans apparently thought so and their first record was called Love And Hope and Sex And Dreams.
    Of course I had to track down the actual single for the B-side - the first Ron Wood writing credit (officially, at least). I like its reggae lilt, Sugar Blue's harp and it's got a great chorus.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  5. Parachute Woman

Shattered
    Really great, totally unique song. I know it has a punk influence, but I hear a little bit of very early hip-hop in it too. I love the sound of the riff and the great performance from Mick with those lyrics that capture NYC. Laughter, joy and loneliness and sex and sex and sex and sex! The guitar solo is a favorite as well. This one hasn't been overplayed and still sounds fresh and weird to this day.

Everything is Turning to Gold
    I never cared for it. I don't like the melody and Mick is using that growling, phlegmy, barking tone he used all over Dirty Work and ruined it. I'm glad it wasn't on the album.

The MEZ, D.B., aphexj and 2 others like this.
  6. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Shattered is one of my Top 5 singles of theirs in the seventies and depending on my mood may even be my favorite. Just love the sound of the guitar throughout this. Not too big a fan of this live because like JJF it's another one of their songs that just doesn't work as well live as the studio perfection. Love the lyrics and Mick's vocal approach throughout. A+ single!

The MEZ, D.B., aphexj and 2 others like this.
  7. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Both tracks are just two chords repeated over and over. "Everything Is Turning To Gold" sounds a bit like one of John Fogerty's more self-indulgent excursions, right down to the way Mick pronounces the word "turning" ("toining").

a customer and forthlin like this.
  8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Shattered - A U.S. only single as it was not released as a single in the U.K. It is a punk influenced number about the degradation in New York. Allmusic calls it the Stones tribute to the influence of the New York Dolls. I not as big a fan of this as some people. It always just struck my as Jagger yelling about New York over punkish sounding backing. I much prefer When The Whip Comes Down and Respectable among the punk influenced numbers. An edited version exists. It has been included on quite a few of their compilation albums including Sucking In The Seventies, Forty Licks and the GRRR! Super Deluxe Edition. However, it was omitted from both Rewind and Jump Back. It has been played live quite often on the 1978 and 1981 tours and periodically since then. It was also played at some the shows recorded for the Stripped album.

Everything Is Turning To Gold - This is a groove number and Ronnie Wood gets his first songwriting credit on it. It's not too bad. I actually like it much better than Far Away Eyes (and Jagger's hick accent) and would have included it on the album instead of that number. It was first released on lp on the Sucking In The Seventies compilation and also appeared on the limited edition Flashpoint + Collectibles release. It was however omitted from the Rarities 1971-2003 release. There is a long extended outtake version of the track.

9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

extended outtake version.

superstar19 and aphexj like this.
  10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Shattered instrumental outtake

superstar19 and aphexj like this.
  11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

"Shattered" - I love the guitar sound on this one and the way the riff just keeps winding round itself. Good song.
    "Everything's Turned To Gold" - Not much to say about this. An interesting rarity but not very special.

All Down The Line likes this.
  12. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

Ack! My "watch thread" alert apparently wasn't working for a few days. I was on Brown Sugar, now it's Shattered?! You guys are quick! Guess I have some catching up to do.

sekaer likes this.
  13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The thread is flying through 1 single per day.

14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I like both sides of this single very much. Shidoobee!! "Shattered" has that train-out-of-control, about to collapse feel down perfectly. Don't ya know the crime rate's goin up, up, up-up UP?!

"Everything Is Turning" has an awesome groove too, the call and response backups are great, and the sax break just rules (MEL F'ing COLLINS). Yes, it's like a jam session that grew lyrics — but who cares? Nice riff Ronnie!!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  15. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Shattered
    This is one of the strangest songs from Some Girls. Its jittery, coked-out punk rock/new wave sound is unlike anything else The a Rolling Stones have done. The lyrics capture the dark, sleazy underbelly of late 70’s New York as well as Lou Reed or anybody else. I used to hate this song, but I’ve come to appreciate it for all its strangeness. If the paranoid-sounding backing track wasn’t enough, the vocal is among Mick Jagger’s most unhinged.

Everything Is Turning to Gold
    This song has some nice guitar work, but overall isn't particularly strong. It's weaker than anything on Some Girls IMO, and I understand why it was used as a b-side.

16. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

When I wrote about "Beast of Burden," I mentioned that I listened to Some Girls trying to discern possible hits. Well, "Shattered" was not one of them. Initially, it was my least favorite song on the album; I was aghast when I learned that it was the next single! I did warm up to it a bit as time went on, and I don't mind it at all any more. It's one of the most acerbic songs about New York City not written by Lou Reed -- "Go ahead. Bite the Big Apple. Don't mind the maggots! Uh huh." Because only the United States got this single, its non-LP B-side wasn't available elsewhere until the 1981 compilation Sucking in the Seventies.

"Shattered" was a medium-sized hit in all three trade publications; it peaked at #27 in Cash Box and #31 in Record World.

Promo copies are stereo/stereo with the LP length (3:46) on one side and a short version (2:44) on the other. Several sources say that this short version matches the edit that appears on the Some Girls 8-track tape.

Stock copies came from Specialty, Monarch and PRC Richmond. Curiously, the RI 45s have SIDE ONE on the "Shattered" side and SIDE TWO on the "Everything Is Turning to Gold" side -- the first time a Rolling Stones 45 had these designations since "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)" in late 1973. The SP and MO singles don't have the sides indicated. Again, later pressings with the word OLDIES at the upper right have the same catalog number as the original (RS 19310).

The picture sleeve for "Shattered" is around a 1 to 2 on the 1-10 rarity scale. The sleeve has the B-side title as "Everything's Turning to Gold."

17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Wow, this hadn't happened in a while - I liked all three songs released from this album! Shattered is great, if only for the guitar sounds and punkish vibe. Interesting that all three songs are so different in style. Is it me or does the flip sound like the prototype of Dance/If I Was A Dancer? Then again, that one's not too far away from Miss You.

pablo fanques and D.B. like this.
  18. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Not as stated a UK single but at some point I learnt it had Everything is Turning to Gold an unreleased b side so got old of a copy. I like both songs.

19. MCT1

MCT1 Forum Resident

With "Shattered" we see the Stones releasing a third single from an album (in the U.S.) for the first time. This obviously came about because the first two singles did so well, but it's also worth noting that there was an industry-wide trend toward releasing more singles off albums.

In a related development, superstar acts were going longer between albums. The Stones hadn't put out studio albums in 1975 or 1977, but they did release non-studio albums both years. In 1979, they would put out no new album of any kind. Since there wouldn't be a new album until 1980, it made sense for Atlantic to milk Some Girls for one more single.

"Shattered" is the first Rolling Stones single I have any memory of from when it was a new song. That may seem odd, given that it was only a medium-sized hit, but I have vivid memories of a lot of songs that were on the Top 40 in January and February of 1979 ("Shattered" reached its peak position in January). For some reason, I must have been listening to the radio a lot around that time frame. I also must have liked the song's riff, as it stuck in my head. I don't think I heard the song again until I began listening to AOR/Classic Rock stations several years later, but when I did, I immediately recognized it.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  20. Parachute Woman

Next...the Stones enter their third decade:

Emotional Rescue (1980)

[​IMG]
    Released: 6/20/80
    B-Side: Down in the Hole
    Charts: #3 (US); #9 (UK)

"Emotional Rescue" is a song by the English rock 'n' roll band, The Rolling Stones. It was written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richardsand is featured on their 1980 album Emotional Rescue.

Recorded between June and October 1979, "Emotional Rescue" is a disco-influenced number, somewhat similar to the band's 1978 hit "Miss You". The song is notable as one of the earliest songs by the group to show the growing rift between Jagger and Richards. Although Richards plays guitar and added backing vocals towards the end of this track, he is noted to not have liked the direction in which Jagger was trying to take the band with disco-like compositions, although this may have been exaggerated by the press and Richards' hard-rock-oriented image.

Mick wrote the song on an electric piano and from the beginning it was sung in falsetto (similar to Marvin Gaye's lead vocal on his 1977 hit "Got to Give It Up"). When the song was brought into the studio they kept the electric piano and falsetto lead. With Ronnie Wood on bass and Charlie Watts on drums they worked out the song. They then added the saxophone.[2] Bobby Keys plays the saxophone part.[3] Bass guitarist Bill Wyman plays synthesizer on the record, while Jagger and Ian Stewart play electric piano. Wyman's synthesizer can be heard faintly during the verses on the right channel/speaker and plays a simple pattern of a few notes using a string-synth set up.

Jagger said the song was about "a girl who's in some sort of manhood problems", not that she was going crazy but she's "just a little bit screwed up and he wants to be the one to help her out".[2]

Released as the album's lead single on 20 June 1980, "Emotional Rescue" was well received by some fans. Other fans of the Rolling Stones' work took note of the change in direction and were disappointed by it. Reaching #9 on the UK Singles Chart and #3 in the U.S., "Emotional Rescue" became popular enough to feature on all of the band's later compilation albums.

Despite touring extensively since the song's release in 1980, the Stones had never performed the track in concert until May 3, 2013, when the Stones debuted the song in their set list with a slightly different arrangement, during the band's first show of the 2013 leg of the 50 & Counting... tour, in Los Angeles, California.

Personnel[edit]
    The Rolling Stones
    Additional personnel

The MEZ, ohnothimagen and superstar19 like this.
  21. Parachute Woman

I'm interested to see the reactions to this one...

I really enjoy Emotional Rescue. I think it's a fine album and a lot of fun with a wonderful summer vibe to it. I listen to it a ton every single summer, windows down, sunscreen on... It isn't really a serious album (apart from a couple of the tracks) and I don't need the Stones to be serious all the time. I like it. I am also aware of the fact that a lot of people think it's crap.

Emotional Rescue
    What a great song. Again, I know there are many out there who can't stand this track but I am not one of them and never have been. It has a slinky, funky bass line, killer sax from my man Bobby Keys and it's melodic and catchy. I like the falsetto, I like when Mick slides out of the falsetto and into his chest voice ("yeah...I was dreaming last night"), I love the coda with all the silly lyrics about fine arab chargers and so stealthy, so animal quiet. I love it. It has a feel to it. I can't tell you how I would have reacted to it in 1980 because I wasn't alive. But I can tell you how I reacted to it when I first heard it in 2002 and that was with love.

Down in the Hole
    Nice blues song. One of the handful of real serious songs on the album but it works due to a passionate vocal delivery, good harp and a general atmosphere. Maybe not one of their all-time best blues songs, but always great for a listen.

The MEZ, D.B., Freek999 and 3 others like this.
  22. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I do not really care for Emotional Rescue as an album - it just sounds like Some Girls-lite to me. It's not truly bad but of all of the Wyman-era studio albums, it is my least favourite. Part of this is the whole Mick thing and the voices he chooses presumably to fit the characters he has conceived but on Emotional Rescue, I often find this tedious.

Having said that, "Emotional Rescue" as a single I find very interesting. I remember first hearing it and the Mick falsetto and going "oh no" to myself. It was a huge hit of course but, at first, I thought this single was embarrassing. But there's something very unique about the music here and when Mick abandons the falsetto ("yeah I was dreaming last night"), I find this song starts to sound great. Yes, the coda monologue is a bit ridiculous but Keith's guitar answers Mick's vocal beautifully and Bobby Keys blows some fine sax, probably glad to be back in the Stones camp. I heard this song live in 2013 and I did not groan when they played it. It wasn't the highlight of the show (it was the second Toronto show and it was a "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" show) but I was glad to have heard it in the flesh.

"Down In The Hole" I should love but it's the Mick vocal that gets in my way of truly enjoying it. It's certainly better than "Where The Boys Go" or my pet peeve from this record, "Indian Girl" (Nicky Hopkins' contribution notwithstanding) but this is a Jagger vocal I just don't care for because the vocal is a little over the top. That might sound a little ironic because I have more praise for "Emotional Rescue" but that's just my own quirky taste.

23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Emotional Rescue - A disco influenced single with an awful falsetto vocal from Mick Jagger. Ronnie Wood handles the bass because Bill Wyman plays synth on the track and depending upon the source, either Ian Stewart or Nicky Hopkins are on electric piano. Michael Shrieve from Santana adds extra percussion. Bobby Keys plays sax and supposedly thought Jagger's so called "Micky Mouse" vocal was a joke when he first showed up to the recording sessions. They keyboards dominate the track. This may be the worst single the Stones released in my opinion and the lyrics are naff as well. There are a number of different edits of the song including an even longer outtake version (shudder). It has been included on a number of compilation albums. Thankfully, it has been played rather infrequently in concert. The first time it was played live was not until 2013. Two promo videos exist including one with Thermo-Vision like the album cover.

Down In The Hole - A slow blues number that features Sugar Blue on harmonica. They have cut better blues tracks than this one. There is an outtake version with different lyrics.

I will be your knight in shining armour
    Riding across the desert with a fine Arab charger

Yikes, bloody awful!:laughup:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  24. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Sad to say but I step off after Some Girls.
    I do have Tattoo You though along with Rewind so I do get some of the latter stuff there.
    I've tried the others and only Voodoo Lounge made me want to listen more like in the old days.
    I will still follow this thread and thank you for this Shannon.

25. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Mine doesn’t work at all for this thread either

guppy270 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.