The Moody Blues album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Glenn Christense, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Great that Mike attended the induction, the fact he never spoke is possibly an indication that those health rumours might have some foundation - but at least he WAS present...!

whatever his health condition I thought Mike actually looked the best of the Moodies age wise !!

sad Ray is no longer with us but at least Ray was aware they (& he) had made it into the Hall of Fame before he left us (likewise Mike Smith re The Dave Clark Five induction)

re the Hall of Fame itself, it means little to me as it's all far too politically motivated, run by those whose opinions mean nothing to me at all, and STILL far too many classic influential artists and groups have NOT yet been inducted while some far less influential or nowhere near as prolonged record selling acts as some yet to be inducted have been !

in strict influence and record sales plus concert ticket sales terms The Moodies should have been doing Ann's (deserved of course) induction - it's rather like say in acting terms actress Julia Roberts inducting Clint Eastwood into an actors Hall of Fame !

however for the fans sake plus at least some recognition of artists who deservedly have got in, sooner or later, it's good to see such artists being recognised in such a manner

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Mike and Ray knew when to quit.

And a delightful story!

Magnetic Man likes this.
  3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block Thread Starter

4. Glenn Christense

5. Glenn Christense

I don't know how long these links will work so enjoy them while they are available .

keyXVII and Johnny Reb like this.
  6. Glenn Christense

7. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Very true. Not that I think much of the R&RHOF, but it is clearly something most inductees see as an honor, and it's good to see the Moodies recognized, and sad that Ray Thomas wasn't alive for it.

9. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

JimijamForum Resident
    I don’t know billo the way I saw it it looks like Mike runs into a John lodge wall
    Approaching the microphone after johns speech. Watch the video closely. I think Mike’s turn should’ve been after Denny’s. Also notice how when they take the stage John kind of points and shuffles Mike over to a spot.

It appears Justin whispers something in Mike’s ear as John ends his speech. Also looked like Graham wasn’t very happy about it and drifted off to the wings for somebody’s attention and as the Blue Jays exited they left Mike standing there. Also no MP on any performance, unbelievable.....
    And only one mention of Ray : (

Big Pasi, t-man 54 and DRM like this.
  10. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Not to harp about this, but looks like Mike wanted to go to the mic, and looks like John was acting as handler.
    Mike appeared to talk to the other members in between the inductions, but definitely was not intended to given mic time.

DRM and Glenn Christense like this.
  11. Glenn Christense

Yes, I have no idea what the deal was .

I seriously doubt they would deny him his moment at the mic though unless there was some sort of health issue, seeing he was there and hugging John earlier,etc.

Denny Laine certainly didn't hog the spotlight.:D

Casual viewers might not have even realized he was in the original band .
    He basically said they did the blues for a heartbeat , John and Justin took over and he's a big fan!

12. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I think it is likely that whatever Mike Pinder's health issues are made the band want to protect him from himself. Maybe Mike wanted to talk, but the band feared that he wouldn't come off well, so they kept him away from the mic.

13. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

It appears that way.
    But they had time to prepare, and it came off odd.
    Perhaps have a short prepared text read from a band member, or family member.
    Also it would have been nice if they walked off stage together as opposed to just rambling away.

14. Glenn Christense

I have no clue at this point of course, but per my late edit to my post above ,
    I agree with you .

15. Glenn Christense

As far as just rambling away, I get it.
    It's down to just sloppy production advice and they didn't know what to do other than just walk off.

If you noticed, it looked like Justin and John walked to the mic to make one last point but the mic was already shut off.

Awards shows in general have many loose ends .

16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

great album

ronbow and Glenn Christense like this.
  17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i agree with the seven, i found octave difficult. some good songs, but i didn't enjoy the album the way i did the others

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  18. Glenn Christense

Denny, Justin and John all mentioned Ray.

keyXVII likes this.
  19. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

Wow, it's shocking to see Lodge block Pinder. Obviously, the hatchet hasn't been buried.

Lostchord and DRM like this.
  20. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

After watching it, the Pinder/Lodge move did look a bit awkward. Regardless, in the end I hope Mike feels it was worth the trip. It was good to see him with the remaining members again.

DRM likes this.
  21. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Of course, as bystanders of this, we can only speculate, but I definitely do not think this has anything to do with bad blood or grudges, etc.
    Previous posts speculated this is most likely health related.
    My input is that better preparations should have been made in that case, and they had, in my opinion, had ample time to make these accommodations.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I think Mike was denied time at the mic and not because of health reasons. John kept blocking him. But I do appreciate how Justin put his arm around Mike toward the end.

Mike Pinder was a member of the band during their peak. He thought he would have a chance to talk, you can see it. If the other band members planned it out for him not to talk, I don't think they informed him. They could have told him they didn't think he should talk...or that he should just say a quick thank you.

I do not at all feel good about John...watching the video.

I read somewhere recently that Mike was very good with arrangements. I'm wondering if his leaving the band significantly affected their ability to create more complex and interesting song structures...similar to their earlier work.

Jimijam likes this.
  23. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Disagree with the premise that John purposely blocked Mike due to grudge, jealousy, etc etc.
    Laine was able to speak freely.
    Something was certainly amiss, but as brief observers one cannot ascertain the intent.
    Last comment.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

It could have been handled better, clearly.

John definitely was handling Mike/blocking him/guiding him to the side...and it wasn't by accident...it certainly appears intentional. His motives? I don't know. Whether other band members told him to be the handler? I don't know.

Pierino likes this.
  25. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

As fans, I know we are not entitled to anything. But, I do strongly feel we deserve an explanation of some kind regarding what happened last night. In my heart I believe Mike may well have Alzheimer’s or dementia, and the other guys didn’t want Mike to embarrass himself or those that love him. However, if this is the case, I wish someone, probably from the Pinder family, would have gotten out in front of this before the ceremony. Hardcore fans have waited so long to see Mike with the rest of the band again. What happened last night went way beyond being disappointed as a fan; I feel extremely sad about what I saw. I’m really sad for Mike. You can tell he expected to speak.

What is hard to reconcile right now is am I sad because Mike has a terrible health problem, or that his former band mates kept him away from the microphone for their own reasons?

Hamhead, Big Pasi and Jimijam like this.