Bands who made the same album over and over again

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mother, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

It's a brutal massacre of my respect for forum members on a grand scale.

See? The disfigured corpses of my respect for members here lay scattered on the plain.

2. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

Yeah as much as I love that album, it has virtually nothing to do with punk, at least in the sound.

In fact there's the narrative that The Clash were the "real" punk rockers and the Pistols were not. That may be true when you are taking about The Clash's "diy attitude" or other "behind the scenes" stuff, but there's only a handful of Clash songs that actually sound like punk rock to me, and most or all of the songs on Never Mind The Bollocks are in the punk style.

punkmusick likes this.
  3. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Circus Devils is where Bob deviates from his consistently mid-tempo, mid-fi, boozy brand of indie rock and just produces straight up garbage.

Neil Anderson likes this.
  4. Forklifter

Forklifter Forum Resident

I have favorite band within different styles,i don't expect one band to cover everything,i like acoustic folk but would not expect ACDC to put out an album like that,i like the blues but would not expect YES to put out an album like that,i like hard rock but would never expect such from James Taylor.

The idea of a band growing within its own style in my opinion applies to very few,most often they attempt a different style and either fail miserably or succeed.

5. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

You could argue it the other way round in class terms rather than musical. Lydon & Steve Jones were a lot more "street" than Joe Strummer, who (it turned out) did not live in a box under the Westway, but who's Dad was a career diplomat born in the old Raj! But I try to avoid discussing what's punk and isn't cos it always degenerates in the same way as "what's metal and what isn't".

Blank Frank and blaken123 like this.
  6. live evil

live evil Senior Member

About which part? :laugh:

7. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Yes!

DTK likes this.
  8. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Reign in Blood and South of Heaven are quite different sounding.

9. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

Yeah I sometimes get bugged out when the Clash are elevated as the "real punks" and the Pistols are dissed as a "manufactured" act. I love both bands so I don't really have a horse in the race, but anyone who says that Lydon wasn't working from genuine emotions (whether he was right or wrong) was not listening to either the pistols or pil!

Poison_Flour likes this.
  10. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Aside from AC/DC I'm not sure any band listed so far fits this thread.

11. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Yes you are right.Some people I know who are not into that kind of music find many of the uptempo songs in particular too similar.I kind of like them for that.While different song structures can be heard on every album I love that trademark rhythm playing and soloing they did so well.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Wilco changed a lot up through A Ghost Is Born. Kind of settled into a groove starting with Sky Blue Sky.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I haven't listened to Journey a lot but I think they made significant changes when Steve Perry joined and when Jonathan Cain replaced Gregg Rolie.

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

A given answer, though imo it's not true and comes from a place of ignorance. They tried a variety of different approaches in the 80s, but most people are only familiar with the first 1-4 albums at best, which do have a similar sound. It's like people who wear cheap Ramones t-shirts but have barely heard the music.

15. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

The Ramones (and they were all—mostly—awesome).

AlienRendel likes this.
  16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Dire Straits?

17. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I can't agree with Wilco.
    Their first few albums sounded remarkably different from each other.

18. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Sorry, but an album like Undercover is certainly VERY different to albums like Some Girls or Emotional Rescue, at least to my ears. Undercover uses sequencers and drum machines. None of that was present in 1978 or 1980, where it was disco and punk-ish rock and roll. I can't think of more different songs than Respectable and Too Much Blood. It's almost like two different bands. So your theory doesn't hold water at all.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I like how there are several posts with people making the case for a band’s mention to be invalid immediately followed by another mention of the band...classic.

Bananas&blow and troggy like this.
  20. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

That band on the debut album could not play The Mans Too Strong. And it’s not because of not having a keyboardist

21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well I never heard it, which might work as a good summary for this thread. I do think their first two albums, which I have heard, are completely interchangeable.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I still view "LC" as the "quantum leap" album, but I admit I don't know "Rope" as well as I know the 1st and 3rd albums. I'll give it another spin soon and reassess! :)

blaken123 likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Indeed. A lotta people making grand declarations about artists whose music they barely know! :)

Zeroninety and DTK like this.
  24. Jethro Tull. Yeesh...they got flute on every album! ;)

25. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Excuse me? First the poppy sound, then the alt-country "Being There", the Beach Boys pastiches of "Summerteeth", the experimental "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" and back to a poppier sound aftwards. No change?

Davmoco and Tristero like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.