How much of your youth music do you still listen to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ronm, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronm

ronm audiofreak Thread Starter

Admittingly I am one that has a hard time getting into new music. I have tapered off quite a bit from the preferred music of my youth.The Pink Floyd,Zeppelin and Sabbaths were so good they carried me for damn near forty years.But as time goes on they wear out to some degree but thet still get the occasional spins.I find now that I really enjoy a lot of music that I just heard on AM top forty radio of the same time period(early-mid 70s) but never really listened to.The thread on every #1 Billboard Hit has really brought to light a lot of memories of that time period.Man that period from 70-75 is-was really good.Just ramblings from a soon to be 57 year old musical dinosaur.

SonyTek, Chris C, eric777 and 5 others like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

An awful lot of it. In fact, I struggle to think of anything I ‘grew out’ of. Also, some things I actively didn’t like as a kid I enjoy now.. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.:)

Over the years my tastes have changed and I listen to things now I’d never have dreamed of in my teenage years. Still plenty of room for the stuff I loved as a kid, though.:)

Why do you think I do all those old chart polls anyway?:D

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm 65 and still listen to the music that I grew up with.

4. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

started listening to rock, blues and metal since 1980 (1980 is when i started to get not a lot of music) 8 tracks / LP's / cassettes. even some old joplin reel to reel ones.

its now 2018 and i wish metal was the same as it was back then.

i still listen to pretty much nothing but metal and rock still.

my collection has grown like my beer belly

MikeInFla and BryanA-HTX like this.
  5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Quite a bit of it but I also listen to a lot of other artists/bands/genres that I never would have listened to when I was a teenager. It's the best of both worlds. :)

6. ronm

Your right nostalgia is a powerful thing,especially with music.I dig those old chart polls.There are a lot of songs I had completely forgotten about.Like you there is so much stuff on there that I didn't listen to as a youth and now find them quite listenable.I don't mind new music if I like it however there is so much old that has been on the back burners for years that is so enjoyable in revisiting it.Nostalgia...nothing like being reminded of simpler happy times of your youth and the music at the time.

7. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

+1

8. a lot. surprised most of it stood the test of time.

9. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Not much, thankfully.
    Listening to the same stuff all the time sounds very boring to me and treating music as a safety blanket or comfort food holds zero appeal.
    Besides, loving something means expanding one's understanding of it and broadening one's horizon.

jasn, Graham, pathosdrama and 9 others like this.
  10. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

I listen a lot of music from my youth ( the 50s thru the 70s ) but not all anymore by any means.
    However , as I have grown older, I also have a taste for music from before I was even born and a great deal of music made after my "Youth".

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  11. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

There are studies that show that our musical tastes are largely formed on what we listened to in our teens. Most of what I like now is compatible in style to what I liked them. Sure Traffic and Clapton moved to Dave Matthews and from there to the National or War on Drugs or Decemberists. But there is a similar vibe to all of it.

bxbluesman and forthlin like this.
  12. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i still listen to music from my late teen's.i also listen to and keep up with new music as well.i listen to rock-modern classical-jazz-world.

Fullbug likes this.
  13. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Lots of hair metal for me.

MikeInFla and paradox55 like this.
  14. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Pretty much all of it.

audiomixer, MikeInFla and Fullbug like this.
  15. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Also , I now have access and listen to a lot of music recorded during my youth which I never experienced back then.

MBT68 and BeSteVenn like this.
  16. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Most of it

17. ronm

That revisitation on Ratts Out of the Cellar thread really reminded me of my nephews(one who has since passed) who were in their early teens in 1984.Always trying to get me into that music.

DentonChris likes this.
  18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

All of it. I don't "outgrow" music, or however one would want to characterize that. Any and every thing that I used to like is something I still like, and pretty much universally I like it as much or even more now. However, variety has always been the most important metric for me--variety of albums, artists, genres. I've never listened to anything so often that I would get burned out on it, and my tastes have changed in that my tastes have continually broadened. I've never stopped keeping up with new music, and I'm always discovering older music I missed, too. So while I never take anything out of my listening rotation, my rotation continually increases in size, so I hear old favorites less often.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  19. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Almost none, except for film and TV scores that subliminally made an impression on me at the time.

Also, some of my Dad's jazz, classical, and space-age bachelor pad albums.

20. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

I'm still really into nirvana, oasis, stp, soundgarden, Alice in chains, pearl jam, radiohead and blur. I will always love my youth music, or at least I think I will.

Dodoz likes this.
  21. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

All of it except some of the random singles I bought way back then like: Spiders and Snakes, Me and You and a Dog named Boo, Hot Rod Lincoln, Uneasy Rider...fortunately I grew out of those more novelty tracks I thought were funny at that age.

22. ronm

Also it's not all I listen to.I have other musical pleasures but revisiting a lot of that am top forty and my preference of that time period still constitutes at least seventy percent of what I listen to.

23. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

I actually listen to more current music now than I did when I was younger.

I listened to a lot of classic rock when I was in grade school and high school (late 90s/ early 2000s)

24. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

A lot. I've had a couple of weeks of nostalgia and reminiscing.
    My listening seems to go in fairly natural cycles, and that keeps everything fresh for me i guess

showtaper and ronm like this.
  25. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

The rock music I listened to I still do (VH, Aerosmith, Crue, Queensryche, Iron Maiden, etc.)

I did also listen to some hip hop in the late 80s and early 90s but don’t really touch that anymore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.