The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I like to whinge about inconsistency with patches and the Eyes is no exception - I totally disagree with the decision not to patch the Eyes with the two-track. Sure, the ambience would have been different but I can't imagine anyone would have objected to having a different ambience in exchange for the full version. I reckon the disc would just about have fit the missing minutes as well and, if not, surely the OMSN could have been wedged somewhere else on the set.

I suppose complaining about it is a bit pointless when the full version was previously released and when other songs on the soundtrack have edits...but I'd rather be missing a verse or two of US Blues than minutes of jamming in a '74 Eyes.

Thank so much for sharing these. I think we can all see why Bob got the groupies.

I maintain that Jerry in particular was totally befuddled - he sounds shattered when trying to sing, like he can barely summon the energy. It wouldn't surprise me if, for the period he is not playing during Scarlet, he was wandering around the stage, wondering where and who he was.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Crispy Rob, adamos, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

10:25 Dark Star. The starter kit. (10/20/68).

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

3-24-73, the reverse Dark Star.

This has been the first real massive jam of the year, though 2-24 if we had all of it might compete. I've heard this before of course, it's certainly high on my 'must hear' list for a very 'must hear' time frame. So this time around I was trying to hear any Dark Star foreshadowing, and I have to report that I came up with next to none, except for the total breakdown of the lead-in tune and the exploration of a variety of jams, including space and the Spanish Jam.

(Oddly enough, on the archive version I listened to, the Spanish Jam is not even tracked, it just reads Truckin>Dark Star>Etc. While this is a sensible reaction to nonsense of the species Good Lovin>Drumz>Good Lovin that crops up fairly frequently, I've also seen some Spanish Jams from the 80s that are a minute or two that get their own track, and this rendition was much more fully realized than most of those. I guess a tracking of Truckin>Jam>Spanish Jam>Space>Dark Star (as Deadbase has it) could be cumbersome. Either way the music is great enough to overpower a few moments of kvetching about minutiae.)

Dark Star is so weird here, the only reason I can fathom for its existence in this show was to put that kind of stamp on what they had just played (that, or they had promised someone they would do it.) For those playing along, I believe this is the shortest version ever played live, at just under 4 minutes. The Aqua Theater show from August of 1969 has what I would bet is the shortest rendition with both verses (discounting Spring of 68 when they were all just 5-6 minutes.)

Sing Me Back Home has to be among the most senselessly-dropped-from-the-repertoire tunes they ever did. I'm sure there's a version that's not great, but I can't say I've heard it. An excellent emotional solo graces this one, sadly one of the last.

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Now, now- let's not be hasty! Eyes should have been patched, of course.

Let us recall that the China > Rider presented on Disc 1 is from the bonus footage, not the Movie. Also know that this was the second best China > Rider performed during the run, the version in the first set of 20 October is top 5 for 1974, but was not filmed. See they ran out of raw film, bought out every source in the Bay Area, and so only filmed the end of the show. They may not even have the Return of Mickey Hart on film!

5. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

All the more reason to release the entire run. Patch up the cuts made for the movie and make the best of it!
    There is so much already released that future boxes should not be left incomplete just because of prior products (like Spring 1990 and Dozin).
    I can't imagine that a Movie box set wouldn't sell out even thought the 5 CD soundtrack is out there. Include Blu-ray of all existing footage as well. And a nice book of photos. And make the box into a replica of Winterland. And include a strip of film from the movie. And something on vinyl for no particular reason. And a scarf. And some marbles. And a leopard-skin spindle. And some leftover residue from Owsley's lab. That's all. Not much to ask for.

6. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

The 4/15/70 Candyman wants a word!

7. US Blues

Yes, please.

8. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

5 shows, so 20 discs (maybe a few less). 2 Blu-ray. Box, book, goodies.
    $250? I think that's an easy sell.

laf848, Ezzie, Freebird and 4 others like this.
  9. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Bring out your Dead... studio that is. If I'd not dropped this on before
    reading the last few pages, live from 73-74 certainly would have been
    my choice. The first time I heard this a friend was anxious to get
    me over to listen to this 'great Dead record'. Mars Hotel and
    Wake of the Flood were pretty strong releases, so I was hopeful.
    For that sunny afternoon listen, it was a very great Dead record,
    and I'm grateful I can remember such things. A 70's best front cover.

[​IMG]

10. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Extremely good SBD. Great show!

[​IMG]

11. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Somehow I can't imagine TPTB wading into a box of the complete 10/16-20/74 shows given they already released the 5 disc soundtrack, plus the well know issues with the tapes. Sorry for the wet blanket but I am just here to help!

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  12. US Blues

How do you know that Norman hasn't already mixed the whole thing?

KCWhistle likes this.
  13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

There are a couple I heard from 1970 where the sounds he gets on the solo are among the best guitar sounds he ever made.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  14. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

I am mostly thinking they already did a large box from those shows so I am speculating there is a long list of other box candidates they would do before going back.

15. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I've heard the Dane County Coliseum show from Madison WI, a few weeks
    before your Denver date, on the Midwestern Fall swing. It is not complete,
    but is very good with some cool cover art with a wolf over a stage shot of the band.

SBegonias17 likes this.
  16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

My guess is also that a complete October 1974 box won't happen (poorly recorded tapes, cuts for the movie, problems between the band and Ned Lagin) but I'd be happy to be wrong.

KCWhistle likes this.
  17. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Just getting ready... I don't think I've been this excited for a Dave's Pick in quite some time. 11/17 & 12/14? Oh yeah! :bdance:

18. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

That’s my thinking, too, although there’s nothing I’d love more to be wrong about. The box was definitely large for its time — along with So Many Roads it was the largest they’d released at that point, aside from the big studio boxes — but the Fillmore West box later that year seems to have moved the goalposts a bit.

(Also, wow, how cool was it to get the GD Movie Soundtrack AND Fillmore West in the same year?)

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Fillmore West was a turning point. Seems like they were startled when it did as well as it did.

Crispy Rob and KCWhistle like this.
  20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Doesn't really belong in the Dead thread... yet I feel like I'm cheating putting it in the non-Dead thread... so I'll just say I've been thoroughly enjoying 4.17.99 Phil and Phriends today.

21. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

I am continuing on my Europe 72 listening anniversary. The 4/14 Copenhagen show is wonderful like all the rest. Each show builds on the previous. And to hear how Playing in the band evolves is a treat. Also, I am so in love with Jerry’s guitar work and more specifically his tone on these shows. The Strat coupled with the wah pedal give the songs and the jams the necessary rock and roll bite.

22. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Ha! I knew I’d f up somewhere on that fever dream stream of conciousness so I’m glad I didn’t let myself down. Named jams are not my forte!

23. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

To be fair to you, it's labeled "MLB" on the release, and I think that has happened elsewhere too (don't remember where), which doesn't help anyone trying to get all that straight...

bmoregnr likes this.
  24. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Belongs here. Decidedly.

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Eyes Of The World 2-9-73 Palo Alto

[​IMG]