The Kinks Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bvb1123, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

A favorite of mine.

Sadly, I don't think they've transcended generations though. Entire discography is worth checking out. So underrated.

2. Mr. Pleasant

Mr. Pleasant Forum Resident

The Kinks have been my favourite band since 1984 when I was 13. They were the first band I got into seriously and began to build a collection of. No other band has ever come close to knocking them off the top for me.

Along the way I have exposed many people to them that only ever knew a few of their hits. Most of them ended up being very impressed with the depth and quality of their catalogue and became fans themselves.

3. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

I read that at that period there was an effort by Kinks mgt. and the publishing company to promote Rays songs to other artists. So demos by Ray were sent off without regard to the potential of these as Kinks songs.
    “All Night Stand” is another example.

4. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Yes, I knew the version by Dave Berry and it's good. But they should have recorded their own version, it suits Ray's voice so much.

bvb1123 likes this.
  5. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

The Kinks BBC version isn’t too bad. That’s as close we’ll prob. get

Matthew Tate and bvb1123 like this.
  6. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Sure, it's fine. Just makes you think what they could have done with it.

7. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

I may be in the minority here but I'm really enjoying the Kinks' output from Misfits onwards.

8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

speaking of kink cover one of the best

9. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian Thread Starter

No, I love that era too. Some great songs in that period. I especially like "Misfits", "Out Of The Wardrobe", "Juke Box Music' & "A Rock and Roll Fantasy".

Ken.e., Matthew Tate and Weirwolfe like this.
  10. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

I bought the Come Dancing compilation also.

11. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian Thread Starter

Good comp. Has a lot of good songs on it. Really dig it.

Matthew Tate and Weirwolfe like this.
  12. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Face To Face, Something Else and VGPS is a stunning run of albums. I think only The Beatles managed a run of that quality in the UK in the 1960s (prime Stones albums running 68-72).
    After the first two Pye singles, their run of high quality (largely stand alone) singles is arguably matched or bettered only by The Beatles and Stones. Plenty more gems to discover in their catalogue too. Many hold Arthur in as high regard as the three LPs I mentioned and Lola Vs also has some real highlights. (I must confess that I'm less a fan of the post-Pye years - both Ray and PT got far too bogged down with "concepts" for my liking)
    There's not huge debate over the top 2 British bands of the 60s but third place is highly contested - based on recorded output to the end of 1969 (and if it were a competition!) I think I'd nominate The Kinks over The Who. It's quite amazing how much Ray was writing 1966-68 and just how much of it was of high quality.
    Ray, Dave, Pete and Mick is my favourite Kinks line-up and I'd like to mention Rasa Davies who added so much to their harmony sound and of course, Nicky Hopkins who frequently contributed to their recordings (until Ray pissed him off !).

13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

bvb1123 likes this.
  14. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Ray missed a Belgian tour in spring 66 due to his nervous breakdown and was replaced on rhythm guitar by Mick Grace for the duration (Dave handled all the vocals); This was a bit before Rays announcement in the press that he wanted to do a Brian Wilson, but would have been a contributing factor. Instead of Ray quitting playing live though, in the end management placated him by booking a more leisurely touring schedule from mid-66 on.

15. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

You kan't beat the Kinks!

Top Seven band for me.

16. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Same here! Except for the six other bands.

17. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Well, ya see, for me it's

(1) Beatles

(2) The 'Oo

After those two it's a mishmash of several bands or artists that I kan't decide between:

Kinks, Doors, Neil Young, Jethro Tull, Dean Martin (Led Zep probably slips in there from time to time).

FWIW, me fave Kinks album is "Something Else"... and "The Kink Kronikles" is mandatory!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

[​IMG]
    Love this album.

[​IMG]
    The Kinks in Stockholm in 1965

19. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I was 14 (born 1980) and my first Kinks purchase was the Italian singles collection Fab Forty which included b-sides. I bought it in Highland, IL at a small record shop there along with some Badfinger cassettes. My grandmother lived in that town and I would stay with her for a few days so I picked these up so I would have something to listen to. Before that I knew the few radio staples and had recorded some of the Rhino Greatest Hits comp off the radio when they played the full cd (note: KSHE95 out of St. Louis was a great station back in the day and known for playing full albums on Sunday evenings). Anyways, the Kinks are like puberty for me. Hearing a song like "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" at that age was very relatable and in a way Ray wasn't just Ray to me, he was Father Ray. I don't think any other band has ever had that kind of impact on me. I've been a follower ever since and they are one of a few that I never get tired of the music (most of it anyways). Being a teenager in the mid 90's, I didn't need grunge, Nirvana, or whatever... I had the Kinks. Sometimes I feel my sole mission on Earth is to turn people onto them. I've done so many times with friends.

20. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

In my top 3 favourite bands with the 'Oo and the Stones. In my humble opinion, their run of albums from Face To Face through to Everybody's In Showbiz is unsurpassed.

bvb1123 likes this.
  21. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

ray is one of the best rock songwriters ever. able to tell a descriptive story in less than 4 minutes

22. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

I’ve got Muswell Hillbillies playing right now... couldn’t be happier. I especially love their work from 1964 through 1971.

Adam9, Dave Hoos and bvb1123 like this.
  23. I Love Soap Opera too but it doesn't get a lot of love...

ted321, ytserush, bvb1123 and 2 others like this.
  24. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I, too, appreciate the Kinks! They were my third "favorite band" as a kid, between the Doors and the Who. There was a time for many years in which I owned more LPs by them than any other act or artist, and they are likely still in the top five by that metric. Happy I got to see them, tho sad only twice (85 and 93) tho super glad at the latter show, at a Georgetown DC venue whose name I forget, I got to lean against the stage and during YRGM Dave at one point leaned his guitar over us and allowed me and a couple of other people to claw at the strings, so I can say "I got to play part of the solo in You Really Got Me" with the Kinks. And you better believe I say that ALL THE TIME. I guess I'm giving up on my longtime dream of seeing Ray and Dave play a set of Kinks songs together again, but we always have the records....

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  25. xios

xios Senior Member

Georgetown DC venue= The Bayou

bvb1123 and Brian Doherty like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.