Dire Straits HOF

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rawkdude, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Is this for real?

Keyboardist Alan Clark revealed the band's plans for its big night on his website, explaining that "there's a lot of conjecture on forums about whether the band is performing at the Hall of Fame, and if not why not and who in the band are going to the ceremony. Well, here it is and it's official: Myself, Guy Fletcher and John Illsley will attend the ceremony, where we'll be be performing an unplugged version of 'Telegraph Road' with me on harmonium, Guy on ukulele, John on banjo, and the vocal performed by the three of us as a three part harmony."

Sounds like a real crowd pleaser. I love Telegraph Road but seriously, 95% of the audience won't know the song and even if they did, a stripped down unplugged version of a 14 minute song sounds like a recipe for disaster.

jwb1231970 likes this.
  2. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

It sounds like an enormous put-on; who knows what they’ll come up with.

3. Assuming he was serious, it’s odd a band would take this path. I applaud them for doing something different. I hope they pull it off.

longdist01 likes this.
  4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

longdist01 likes this.
  5. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

My reaction is it must be a joke and everyone is taking it seriously. The odd instrumental choices and three part harmony.....no way he’s being serious.

6. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Yeah more I think about it, Alan Clark is having a laugh Spinal Tap style

7. benjis

benjis Well-Known Member

Masterful trolling by Alan Clark.

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

By chance was this posted on his website on Sunday, April 1?

seed_drill, cungar and longdist01 like this.
  9. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Probably. :)

10. MikeVielhaber

Sounds like Alan Clark has changed up his story a couple times, each one as outlandish as the last. But the news outlets are eating it up. One of them even started to get the feeling that maybe he's not serious

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

12. This may go down as one of the weirdest ‘introductions’ of any band to have been inducted. What can’t these bands who spent so much time solidifying their place in musical history just cut the crap and get together for a few hours. It’s not like any of these guys (fortunately) are no longer with us and by all accounts there really isn’t bad blood between them. Too bad, had there been the reunion and performance, Dire Straits not Bon Jovi would have ruled the night. :shake:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Paul R, Carlox, Say It Right and 4 others like this.
  13. Myke

Mark doesn't owe any of us anything.

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree 1000%!

Elliottmarx and Myke like this.
  15. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I don't watch the awards and would not have known that Dire Straits were or were not in there. I am a big fan of the band and Mark solo.
    While I think Mark is just as entitled as I am to be "not bothered" about the RnR HOF, I think its wrong to say he does not owe his fans and his former band mates anything. I think it is a matter of basic courtesy if you are honoured with an award to at least make some public step to accept it (or refuse it) and to explain a non-attendance - especially to the band members. Fully understand David Knopfler not attending but that surely laid out the red carpet to Mark?

teag, Imagine70, Mr. D and 2 others like this.
  16. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

That induction makes me feel the whole R&RHOF thing has ran its course. (Almost) everyone who deserves to be in it has already been inducted. And a whole lot of acts who didn't deserve to be inducted are in it too. If even the inductees don't appreciate the honor enough to attend, then how do they expect the fans to buy into it. Keep the facility in Cleveland open for as long as it makes money then move it to NYC or LA or Vegas, we here in NE Ohio are used to things being taken away from us.

DPC and vitorbastos123 like this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've been a fan of Dire Straits since their first album in 1978. I don't think Mark Knopfler owes anyone including his fans and former band mates anything. Basic courtesy? How about giving MK the basic courtesy of making his own choice either way? I really don't understand why you feel MK has to explain why he decided not to be at the RRHOF induction. That's just wrong IMO.

18. MikeVielhaber

You seem overly bothered by the notion. I don’t think it’s ridiculous for Mark to give his band mates, especially John, a heads up as to why. Even if it were kept private. I think that would be a basic courtesy. And he can and did make his own choice. No ones saying he should be forced to come.

teag, LittlePearl, Imagine70 and 4 others like this.
  19. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

He is entitled to his choice. Ever heard of RSVP? If you give me a flat "no" I might invite someone else.

20. Myke

" In a new interview, the bassist said that Knopfler "just didn't feel like coming, it's as simple as that." But it wasn't for a lack of trying on Illsley's part.

"It just didn't appeal to him, and I appealed to him on several occasions," he told Billboard. "I said, 'Look, I'd love you to get your head around this.' He said, 'Look, I just can't do it, John. I'm really sorry. It's a great honor for us and all the rest of it, and I just can't get my head around it,' so I've just got to respect it. He's got his reasons, which he really doesn't want to share with me which is unusual because we've shared most things over the years."

:shrug:

Paul R, OptimisticGoat and Bill Mac like this.
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What bothers me is that some feel MK has to explain himself. That I don't understand. Maybe MK feels the same way and has decided not to discuss the subject. In the above post it seems apparent that MK did show a basic courtesy and explained his reasons to band mate John Illsley.
    He certainly is. RSVP? Sure I've heard of it. So out of curiosity if MK sent back his invitation with regrets who was the RRHOF going to invite? There are many other RRHOF inductees that have not shown. Nothing new there. Doesn't bother me in the least as it's their business not mine.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  22. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Yes, that was my impression too, exactly.

Remembers me of the the joke about bringing a gun to the moon in case of an encounter with a bear, a Russian astronaut made some years ago. I remember clearly that half America was laughing about him, being that stupid ;-)

23. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Completely disagree, if one defines "us" as both the fans who voted + those who bought concert tickets and albums (often in several formats. "I just can't get my head around this" is a pretty lame excuse, IMO.

24. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Grumpy git Knopfler. All he had to do was turn up, accept the award, play Sultans Of Swing, basque in the applause and then jet back home.

25. I agree, Mike. No one should force him to come. But it sure would have been one of the most memorable RRHOF performances had he done so. There weren’t ongoing lawsuits nor multiple iterations of the band to side with ala Journey, etc. The introduction was, shall we say, meaningless. Surely they could have had another artist MC their induction. Would have been so cool to see them perform for what most likely would have been their hurrah. MK had his reasons, but it seemed like it was a possibility until a few days ago. He may not owe us anything (he could have still declined to perform) but I believe he owes his former bandmates a modicum of respect for what was obviously a very auspicious occasion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.