R.I.P. R. Lee Ermey

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sloaches, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

2. Ermey's performance in 'Full Metal Jacket' was so awesome, he blew the doors off the cinema. One of the greatest acting jobs in the history of the art-form. May he rest in peace...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kyhl, nosliw, krock2009 and 4 others like this.
  3. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I always thought it was so interesting the way Kubrick cut his trailer for FMJ. You only see battles from the City of Hue. You get zero idea that there's this whole other preamble, practically a completely separate film, set on Parris Island.

Kubrick knew he had dynamite in his hands with Ermey's performance and he wanted to let it happen naturally for the audience. That alone is a great tribute to what he brought to that picture.

Ermey was also particularly convincing in Sean Penn's DEAD MAN WALKING as the distraught father.

4. A great job because, of course, he had been a Marine drill instructor and knew better than anyone else how to deliver that performance. And no question that performance will live on.

A golden vignette of his from another movie:

Old Rusty likes this.
  5. Now St. Peter gets a taste of Basic Training. Ol' Pete will be a lot kinder to Marines who walk through his gates, from here on out.

My D.I. was nothing like Lee. Then again, my D.I. didn't serve in Vietnam like Lee did.

I got to meet Lee at the red carpet premiere of HBO's The Pacific.

They showed the first two episodes, and I was there with some WWII Marines who were actually at Peleliu. One old rifleman told Lee, "Ya know, it was nothing like they just showed in that picture." Lee looked at him and smiled, "Yeah, they'll never get it right unless they were there. You just have to humor these Hollywood types."

Coming from a guy who had spent a lot of time in Hollywood, that statement let me know right there that Lee never forgot what he was really acting for: those voices who would remain forever silent.

74 years old. Might as well.

Semper Fi, man.

mike's beard, fr in sc, Kyhl and 7 others like this.
  6. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

RIP to a fine actor. Loved him in FMJ, and enjoyed his performance in "Saving Silverman", among others.

Pete Puma likes this.
  7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

8. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I feel like I just heard him on a radio interview or something like that. 74 is not incredibly young but it does seem sudden.

My kids have been watching the 'Kung Fu Panda' TV show, where he had a recurring role.

It's amazing how many things he was in. I recall he said something about Full Metal Jacket like 'Since that role, I've never had to look very hard to find work.'

RIP.

9. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved him in FMJ...

He also served his country.

RIP!!!

Jack Lord likes this.
  11. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

12. junk

junk Hellion

13. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

A warm up for Full Metal Jacket and a more realistic basic training. RIP

14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

15. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

Really going to miss you, Gunny!

16. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Sad day... R.I.P. R. Lee Ermey

17. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

He must have given himself permission to die. I really dug that FMJ movie, but remember him more now as "Gunny" in the History Channel's Lock N' Load with R. Lee Ermey.
    -Bill

18. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

19. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

"Private Pyle! Get off my obstacle!"

RIP Lee

20. his FMJ performance reminded me of my Army drill sergeants (most Nam Vets), but he was even more intense and never let up. Great performance. RIP.

21. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

I'm sad to hear this. He was outstanding in Full Metal Jacket and I liked his History Channel programs. The Boys In Company C I enjoyed as well. I will have to seek out some other of his movies, but I guess that would be a different thread.

RIP

22. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

50 years from now, people will still be talking about the incredible performance he gave in FMJ.

RIP Sir, and thanks for your service.

Old Rusty and Kyhl like this.
  23. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

"Full Metal Jacket" was heavily influenced by 1978's "The Boys In Company C", which also featured R. Lee Ermey as a drill instructor. Ermey's performance in that movie was not as intense or hyperbolic as it was in FMJ, but maybe it was a more realistic portrayal of what boot camp was like? Anyway, here's a scene that revisits the kind of dynamic that was previously explored in "The Dirty Dozen":

guy incognito, fr in sc and EVOLVIST like this.
  24. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

"You bet your ass!!"

Billy Infinity and Holy Diver like this.
  25. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

But.....he was in the USMC.....he didn't play anyone in the army....I'm sure he considered soldiers lily-livered bowls of jello compared to his beloved Marines!

MerseyBeatle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.