Bands Or Artists You Think Should Like More

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mwheelerk, Jun 2, 2014.

1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'd pick these as well.

The Beatles have had almost universal critical & popular acclaim, have influenced loads of bands I love yet I struggle to get through half a side of vinyl with them. Truthfully, I can only think of three songs I actually like.

With Led Zep, I quite like some of the acoustic stuff but their rock stylee leaves me cold. Just don't like screaming, I suppose.

Obviously, I entirely understand that this is my loss.

Weirwolfe and Alan2 like this.
  2. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

The Stones. Past a couple of late sixties tunes I don't find much there to love, just admire.

The Who: lost their way after My Generation, IMO but people think I'm from Neptune thinking that!

Post-Syd Floyd. At least I'm not alone with this one.

3. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

Dylan
    Queen
    Leonard Cohen

4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

[QUOTE="ToneLa, post: 17231884, member: 65932"]The Stones. Past a couple of late sixties tunes I don't find much there to love, just admire.

The Who: lost their way after My Generation, IMO but people think I'm from Neptune thinking that!

Post-Syd Floyd. At least I'm not alone with this one.[/QUOTE]

I own their run of albums from 12x5 up to Some Girls but I'd agree with you. They are a cold band.

mtracy64 and ToneLa like this.
  5. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I ought to be a Nick Cave fan but I'm not. I have very little curiosity about exploring his oeuvre.

Ditto Tori Amos.

6. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Grunge, hip hop, most heavy metal.....I'm really showing my age, aren't I?

Weirwolfe likes this.
  7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, Bonamassa played Rory Gallagher's guitar, and it still didn't help. :laugh:

mwheelerk likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

If I like them that's as far as it goes...no plus or minus here...

9. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

There is nothing remotely appealing about Billie Holidays voice?
    I'm out! Lamest thing I've ever heard a human say and more than two people like!

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Springsteen is one I never got into.
    Mostly because I'm not too fond of his voice (same with Dylan).

Darryl

11. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Springsteen as far as top tier legends go.

This is exactly how I feel about Arcade Fire. Not only is it not my thing, but I despise their music. They make U2 sound understated by comparison. Saw them on SNL a couple weeks ago and it looked like they were trying to rip off LCD Soundsystem.

Apologies and all due respect to their fans on this forum.

Mogens likes this.
  12. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

Arcade Fire and the Decembrists fail to land their ambitious artistic gambits... but they don’t know it and act as if they have. I can point to some AF songs that I like, but overall i don’t think they’re successful.

13. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I really love The Decembrist's music and I can even live with their tendency toward grand concepts. But the lead singer's soy boy voice is almost a deal breaker.
    As for Arcade Fire, I listened to and enjoyed The Suburbs a lot the year it was in vogue, but I haven't listened to it since. There is something about them that I just don't trust, but I can't put my finger on it.

14. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Jackson Brown

15. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

Dylan
    Nirvana
    Big Star
    Slayer
    Pearl Jam
    Dire Straits

16. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

He was really good early on. Late for the Sky is still one of my favorites. And The Pretender has same good stuff. But his writing got lazy. He was always political, but sharp social observations gave way to bumper-sticker sloganeering. And when he wasn't engaging in that sort of thing, he was putting out stuff like "Somebody's Baby." Hard to believe that the same guy who wrote "Fountain of Sorrow" --among others--wrote that paint-by-numbers tripe.

17. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Grateful Dead - tried, just doesn't get it for me ...

18. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

Swinging, loose and authentic are the qualities I prize.
    For me that excludes Led Zep, Springsteen, Diana Krall and the Band.
    They all sound like pompous blowfish all puffed up and nowhere to go.
    I'm not the only one to notice Springsteen is inauthentic:
    Bruce Springsteen's "Racing In The Street" begins with a detailed description of a car. "I got a '69 Chevy with a 396," Springsteen sings. "Fuelie heads and a Hurst on the floor.'' Ask any car nut and they'll tell you that fuelie heads can't go on a 1969 Chevy 396.
    Led Zep is mostly a noise band with a lot of screeching and thumping. Great FUN but totally fake like hair extensions and glue on nails.
    Diana Krall has a wispy nothing voice and sings the same darn song every time, they all sound alike, it's just "a style---like a clothing fashion."
    And the Band?
    C'mon, these guys are from Canada pretending to be Civil War Rebels complete with lumpy, stiff rhythm and pompous dumpster diving redneck low rent corn.
    I'll grant you their songwriting is amazing---but their "schtick" is annoying.
    There.
    Let the hate begin.
    It's just my OPINION, folks.
    If you have a different view that will change my mind I'm all ears.
    If you think no one has the right to dislike your favorite group that is YOUR problem.
    Just about everybody I know worships all these groups I mentioned.
    I don't get it.

Dan Steele likes this.
  19. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I like those two 1970 albums--American Beauty and Workinman's Dead. Some good stuff. But it's not really representative of what their reputation is based on, so I'm with you--the jamming and all that leaves me cold.

20. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

I stopped reading at “soy boy,” take your alt-right code language elsewhere please.

21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Too bad. You are not going to tell me what words to use and I know nothing of this 'alt-right" that you speak of. You have no idea where I stand.
    And yes, the singer's voice is almost a deal breaker. Still have several albums by them though.....

22. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

The Clash
    U2
    Bob Dylan
    Metallica
    R.E.M.
    XTC
    The Smiths
    Pixies
    The Grateful Dead
    Adam and the Ants
    Talking Heads
    Bob Seger
    Bruce Springsteen
    Billy Joel
    Elvis Costello

It's odd, but despite having a huge 80's listening bias, I don't care for college rock or 'punkier' new wave all that much.

23. I haven't tried a whole ton, but I'm the same way. I have TONS of respect for The Dead -- just no actual interest in their music.

Occasionally, like maybe once every 5 years, I'll hear some Dead that sparks some interest in me -- but then I'll listen to some more (different) stuff of theirs, and not quite get it.

Mainline461 likes this.
  24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

How did Adam and the Ants end up on this list? No one would ever say you should like them.

seed_drill likes this.
  25. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Same here. After getting into Jefferson Airplane(mostly the Psychedelic-Rock aspects, so beyond the Song, 'White Rabbit' really liked the Albums 'After Bathing at Baxters' & 'Crown of Creation') the past few years, and read that Jerry Garcia was involved with some of the JA Albums, so figured The Grateful Dead must play some Psychedelic-Rock, as not interested in their Bluegrass Type Music(or whatever Genre it is), and watched their Concert Movie last year(think it was a 1977 Concert). I liked the Song, 'Morning Dew'' that I found out later was the Title of that Song in the Movie, as had a Psychedelic-Rock sound to me, but not much else in that Movie got me interested.

Although, I did ask a few questions in GD Thread later and found out from another SHF Member about another Song(think the Title is Potato Caboose'?) was also a Psychedelic-Rock Song. If there was an album full of those types of Songs, I would buy it(or even if about at least half of a Live Album).