Why is U2 Vinyl always out of press?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I've been to all three of those stores and seen plenty of U2 records, but never these titles.

2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The baseline in "Do You Feel Loved" jumped out at me yesterday. Adam was buried more in the cd on my system.

Unfortunately I have a skip on side C (after cleaning) and will try cleaning one more time before it goes back.

3. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

I would really like Achtung Baby and Zooropa on vinyl. These two go hand in hand for me.

Szeppelin75 and Rodant Kapoor like this.
  4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

no offense, but you're completely wrong. these titles are well-established as hard to find.

this.

Porkpie and JeffMo like this.
  5. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Even the first albums are now going up in prices.
    Probably local differences there but on eBay it looks quite similar.

seaisletim likes this.
  6. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I’ve got an early copy of Boy from the UK that beats my original US press by a country mile. Just because they’re available doesn’t mean they’re necessarily worth seeking out

7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Cleaned Pop again and no skips now, but beware these U2 reissues come pretty dirty with paper all over them. My Unforgettable Fire required 3-4 good cleanings to get all white crap off.

New and used vinyl is a serious pita.

8. Mean Dorris

Mean Dorris Well-Known Member

A little, not bad enough to send back now, but some noise still there...

9. Silverladder

Silverladder Well-Known Member

My copy of "Pop" arrived a little while ago from Amazon. Sounds really good. My copy also had the German sticker on the back of the shrinkwrap.

There is a little bit of minor clicking at the beginning of side A and end of side B. Nothing too bad.

Like others have mentioned, this makes me optimistic about "Achtung Baby" and "Zooropa" reissues. The former is my second favorite album of all time. While it's highly unlikely, I'd also love a vinyl reissue of "Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1."

Szeppelin75, agundy, jimhb and 2 others like this.
  10. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

I'd love to have that one too! Despite I don't really like "Theme From The Swan", "Ito Okashi" and "United Colours".

11. Richard Maryanski

Richard Maryanski Forum Resident

Has anyone received a copy of ATYCLB from Amazon US that was not dished ? Mine is and not sure if this is a phenom of "dish" but bass on side 1 (inside of the bowl side) seems to be off, kind of boomy and seems out of sync. Side 2 (outside of bowl side) seems all good. Sounds great. May request a replacement as this is one of my favorite albums, but wondering if all copies are dished.

FWIW, when side 2 is up and I press down to get flat, I would guess movement is around 1/8' to 1/4". Kind of surprised, I do not recall other LP's I have with this issue.

BTW, had a chance to listen to most of the WAV download and to my ears, it seems an improvement over the CD.

Also, for those who purchased Pop, your thoughts on the WAV download ?

12. Silverladder

Silverladder Well-Known Member

I'm okay with all of those. It's "Elvis Ate America" that seems way out of place on the album for me. Can't stand that one.

agundy likes this.
  13. Chrisedge

Chrisedge Forum Resident

I noticed it's similarly brickwalled to the CD. I did a recording of the vinyl that seems to be a bit more dynamic and I can obviously control the walling.

14. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

me too, without question. same with october & war.

seaisletim likes this.
  15. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I was there Friday. I believe I saw every album but, ATYCLB

JeffMo likes this.
  16. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

They may be hard to find. We have pretty good record stores in Charlotte.

17. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

That doesn’t mean anything to 99.99999% of the the rest for the world. Post- 1990 U2 records are rare.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  18. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It does if you make a couple calls or send a couple emails. If you really want it, you can get it.

19. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Sure, depending on price.

20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well.... they never were "hard to find", they just have been quite expensive for some time now. Just returned from the Utrecht fair and I don't think I have ever seen so many "ATYCLB" originals. Starting at.... 120€:evil: It's like people sense the reissue might bring the price down and are trying to get rid of them. Now.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    PDK likes this.
  21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Yeah, it just went from 5 to 9! :biglaugh:

Seriously, some dealers even ask 15 to 20 for those first albums but there are simply so many copies around you still can get them for 10€ max.

22. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

A few quick thoughts on the ATYCLB vinyl remaster:
    -My copy is nice and flat and clean; made in Germany so presumably pressed at Optimal;
    The packaging is again first rate - poly lined and paper inners, nice full size booklet;
    It's 11 tracks - The Ground Beneath Her Feet is on the CD but not the vinyl;
    Chris Bellman's initials seem to be on the deadwax along with Scott Sedillo from Bernie Grundman Mastering, but CB doesn't seem to get any liner credits;
    It sounds a bit more dynamic than the CD (Bono's vocals seem a bit more natural) but not a massive difference on my system.

Tartifless likes this.
  23. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

My second copy arrived this morning, I hope this one is flat...

24. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Local differences possible as I said.
    And we can't blame the labels for re-releasing their stuff so they can get a piece from the cake.

25. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I hate to be one of these posters that just posts things like "tracking updated!" or "received but haven't listened yet!" but since this seems to be a topic for discussion right now I can say that I received ATYCLB and Pop from Amazon and I haven't listened but I did inspect the vinyl and placed on the turntable and all 3 records looks clean and are as flat as can be. I know a lot of people seem to receive warped records from Amazon but I never have. Must be a warehouse thing. Mine usually ship from NJ and CT warehouses. Not much "heat" in these parts anymore.

I probably won't listen until later this week but will be sure to chime in with my 2¢. I also have originals of each of these I will be able to to an A-B comparison with.

DaK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.